Use cinnamon to reduce cholesterol
Edited by Christine dela Cruz, Joely, Eng
Cinnamon has been known since ancient times as an organic way to prevent or treat certain illnesses. It is rich with a lot of minerals such as manganese and calcium. In addition, although cinnamon powder looks very fine and not grainy, it is in fact very rich in fiber. It is for this reason that cinnamon may be able to assist in maintaining the right level of cholesterol in the body.
Cholesterol is actually a lipid, which is in simple terms fat, that is a by-product of the liver. Although diseases are often associated with cholesterol, in fact, cholesterol is very important to the normal function of the body. Each of the cells in the body is actually enclosed by cholesterol, which is at the outer layer.
Benefits of Cholesterol to the Body
- It serves as one of the building blocks of cell membranes because it is the outer layer and provides integrity to the entire structure.
- It plays an important role in filtering substances that can enter the cells.
- It provides sufficient insulation to nerve fibers.
- It participates in the adrenal glands' production of hormones.
- It creates vitamin D from the sunshine.
- It facilitates in producing bile.
- It is crucial for the metabolism of vitamins that are fat soluble, such as vitamin A, D, and E.
When Cholesterol Becomes Too Much
The amount of cholesterol in the body must not be greater than 5 mmol/liter. Doctors often give categories in terms of what levels are ideal and what needs to be given attention to as follows:
- Ideal - less than 5 mmol/liter
- Slightly high - 5 to 6.4 mmol/liter
- Moderately high - 6.5 to 7.8 mmol/liter
- Very high - more than 7.8 mmol/liter
When the body reaches very high cholesterol levels, that's when the benefits of cholesterol diminishes and opposite effects occur.
How Cinnamon Helps in Getting Rid of Excess Cholesterol
The combination of calcium and fiber, which are contained in cinnamon, reacts well with bile salts in a way that they attach together and consequently exit the body. When bile is depleted, it requires further break down of cholesterol in the body in order to form new bile. This is obviously a significant process that gets rid of cholesterol in the body because excess cholesterol is being utilized for another process.
Cinnamon in Everyday Diet
With this knowledge of how cinnamon helps in the break down of ingested cholesterol, it is then important to include cinnamon in everyday diet in order to immediately balance off the effects of cholesterol as it enters the body.
- 1Start with a healthy breakfast.
- Sprinkle cinnamon to your latte instead of topping it off with cream.
- Replace jam or icing sugar with half teaspoon of cinnamon powder on whole wheat bread toast. You may want to use flaxseed oil instead of butter.
- Add a dash of cinnamon to cereals.
- 2Smarten up your morning snack with bits and pieces of cinnamon.
- Tea is better complemented with pinches of cinnamon powder.
- Opt for cinnamon muffins or biscuits.
- 3Indulge on cinnamon equally as you give in to that big chunk of pork belly or huge slab of steak for lunch.
- Pair your lunch with a hot cup of tea mixed with about a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 4Maintain a cinnamon-filled diet all through dinner.
- Cinnamon goes well with a lot of Mexican food. Add some dash of cinnamon to your curry and you will notice the uniqueness in taste.
- Cinnamon adds a delicious flavor to black beans for tacos and nachos.
- 5Have a bit of cinnamon before you head off to bed.
- Dip cinnamon sticks onto your warm glass of milk and you will automatically be comforted by that lovely blend of taste.
- Take half teaspoon of cinnamon and follow it with a full glass of water.
If you keep this in mind as you dine everyday, your intake of cholesterol from other foods should not be a problem because you are equally able to bring in much fiber and calcium into your body that will help in the breakdown of cholesterol.
Types of Cinnamon Food Additive
Cinnamon can indeed be added to various types of dishes. It is also rather easy to purchase cinnamon, and more often than not, it is readily available in grocery stores. There are two most popular forms of cinnamon that can be used as a spice:
- 1This type is easier to grind and therefore easier to sprinkle through dishes.Ceylon cinnamon.
- 2This has a darker color compared to Ceylon cinnamon.Cassia cinnamon.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- There is not such thing as an overdose to cinnamon. However, you should keep in mind in case you have special conditions relating to the blood as cinnamon may have an effect on blood clotting capabilities.
- With cinnamon, you can be as experimental as possible when it comes to adding it to dishes. Don't be misled that it is just appropriate for desserts or sweet beverages.
- When it is your first time to take in cinnamon, check for allergic reaction and do not consume too much right away.
Categories : Cinnamon usage and benefits
Recent edits by: Joely, Christine dela Cruz