Stop and Prevent Hair Loss Due to Emotional Shock or Trauma
Edited by Donna, Eng, Doug Collins, Alma and 1 other
Both women and men can experience partial or full hair loss due to depending on their age, general health, and other factors. Although the hair usually grows back, this type of hair loss can sometimes be permanent. The hair can fall out in patches, all at once or just simply become thinner all over the scalp. Hair loss caused by emotional trauma or stress might go on for as long as you are experiencing the shock or heartbreak and then for about another seven to eight months after that.
==Causes of Shock and Trauma Related Hair Loss--
When people experience extreme emotions for a prolonged period of time their body produces neurotransmitters that cause cortisol levels to rise. This is because the upset or panicked individual is always in a state of "fight or flight." This, sometimes, causes the body to produce hormones that trigger the immune system. In some people, the immune system attacks the hair follicles, which causes them to become inflamed, and then your hair falls out.
Common situational causes of this type of hair loss are:
- Heartbreak due to the breakup of a relationship
- Grief due to the death of a boyfriend or spouse
- Grief due to the death of a parent or family member
- Grief due to the death of a child
- Moving, especially if you are not happy with your new location
- Being in a high-stress job in which you witness human misery often, such as being a paramedic, fireman or emergency room worker
- Job loss
- A general nervous breakdown caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain
- An enormous disappointment or frustration in life that negatively impacts your future such as not getting into a school or being able to attend a parent's funeral
- Being mugged or robbed or being subjected to a home invasion
- A sudden severe illness that causes depression
- Loss of normal function due to extreme stress
- Coping with consequences of a natural disaster or environmental disaster
- 1 Steps to Stopping Trauma and Shock Related Hair Loss
- 2 Tips and Tricks
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 4 Comments
Steps to Stopping Trauma and Shock Related Hair Loss
- 1There are many illnesses and developing chronic conditional that could coincidentally be triggering your her loss at the same time that you are experiencing the emotional trauma. Do not immediately conclude that your hair loss is due to stress. It could also be triggered by diabetes, hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, lupus, menopause, polycystic ovary syndrome and bacterial or fungal infections.See a doctor to make sure that your stress is indeed due to shock or trauma and not caused by an underlying physical condition.
- 2A doctor may prescribe tranquilizers, mood stabilizers, sleeping pills or hormones to help you deal with the anxiety, insomnia or panicky feelings that may be making your hair loss worse.Fulfill prescriptions given to you by your doctor and take these medications exactly as told.
- 3If your grief, shock or emotions feel overwhelming then it can be of great benefit to see a professional who can help you help you process the anger, sorrow, disappointment and many other emotions that you might be feeling.See a therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist.
- 4People who are suffering from trauma and shock tend to overwork their entire nervous system by being in a constant state of emotional processing. This is hard on every single system in your body, but especially the endocrine system, which manages how your body produces hormones. Give in to the need to sleep and do not feel guilty about it as the body and mind are very much interlinked.Get plenty of rest.
- 5Exercise lowers stress levels and inflammation in the body. It also gives the excess energy produced by cortisol an outlet, so that hormones are not flooding your system and producing the kind of auto-immune response that attacks your hair follicles.[Get as much exercise as you can without stressing your body.
- 7People who are in emotional distress sometimes don't feel hungry and the result is that they do not eat enough calories to support healthy hair growth, and their hair actually falls outBe sure to eat at least three times a day and be sure to eat enough.
- 9Protein is the building block of healthy hair cells, so make sure you get enough quality protein in the form of liver, steak, fish, chicken, eggs, cheese and yogurt and beans.Be sure to get enough protein.
- 11With upsetting emotions producing so much cortisol in your body, you do not need the provocation of allergens in your bed adding to your body's toxic load and provoking an auto-immune response. Be sure that your mattress is steam cleaned and that your pillows, pillow cases, duvet covers, and sheets are washed and dried in very hot temperatures.Make sure your pillows and bedding are free of dust mites.
- 12Going for a walk and relaxing in the park or in the woods has always been of great assistance to humans who are suffering emotionally. While you stroll, be sure to take deep breaths and focus on your breathing. [Image:Stop and Prevent Hair Loss Due to Emotional Shock or Trauma_97505.jpg|center|frame|A stroll through park can help you heal from trauma and minimize trauma-induce hair loss]]Spend time in nature as much as possible.
- 14Some people enjoy playing Sudoku, others just want to chill and watch television and still others may want to buy a coloring book for adults and spend some time coloring. These activities take your mind off of your problems and help you relax.Spend some time doing a meaningless relaxing activity that you enjoy.
- 15An infrared sauna emits ultraviolet rays that can help reduce inflammation everywhere in the body and prevent a traumatic immune response on your head.Spend some time in an infrared sauna.
- 16Sometimes when bad things happen in your life you attract people who may not be so helpful or you may find yourself surrounded by people who remind you of an unpleasant past. If someone is causing you emotional distress then avoid them for now if you can because extreme emotions can provoke your hair loss.Stay away from toxic people and situations that keep you stuck in sadness or drain your energy.
- 17If you are going through a break-up or a drama like having your child taken away, then it might be a good idea to stay off any type of social media that may have you looking at images or comments that can upset you. Looking at your ex with his new younger girlfriend or your child playing with his new mommy can be so emotionally devastating that it provokes cortisol overproduction and the stress response of hair loss.Take a vacation from Facebook and other social media.
- 18Unless you are talking to a good friend or a therapist, do not discuss your emotional issues with others as often this keeps you stuck in grief. Leave reminders of the past in the past and remind yourself, that you are not going to lose your hair by constantly "going there" emotionally when you do not have to.Keep your conversations with others pleasant and trivial.
Tips and Tricks
- Usually the longer the couple is together, the more severe the heartbreak and ensuing hair loss might be
- If there was betrayal in the relationship, such as finding out that a husband is cheating with a best friend or relative, then the hair loss might be extreme
- It can really help to take time off from work, but as many people can't try to find a few minutes at work every day where you can have some private time alone
- Hair loss due to the death of a child might be even more extreme if the baby was an infant, as women are prone to hair loss after giving birth in the first place
- Although it is great to exercise do not overdo it because if you exercise until the point you are in pain or exhausted your body will create even more cortisol and possibly provoke an auto-immune response.
- If you lose a lot of hair within a short period of time, then you have less likelihood of growing it back
Questions and Answers
BROTHER DYING FROM 5 YEARS OF TIA'S LOSING BRAIN CELLS?
JONATHAN HAS TIA'S 2 - 4 TIA'S A WEEK FOR FIVE Years. WILL NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR. LATEST PROBLEM, I WENT TO MISSOURI TO SEE FOR MYSELF WHAT IS GOING ON. HE DID NOT KNOW I WAS COMING. LATEST JON IS PARANOID EXTREMELY SO, THINKS PHONES ARE BUGGED, LAMPS, MEN ARE COMING IN HIS APT. THERE LOOKING IN HIS APT. PACE'S THE FLOOR, WHISPERS, TV. VERY LOW SO HE CAN HEAR WHAT'S GOING DOWN. THINKS THE PEOPLE UPSTAIRS ARE ALL A PART OF THIS PLAN. JON HAS LOST MASSIVE WEIGHT, NOT EATING, SHOPPING, HAD NOTHING IN HIS APT. TRYING TO MAKE HIS DOG GO TO THE BATHROOM IN THE APT. HE'S SCARED TO DEATH TO LEAVE HIS APT. HE HAS 7 GUNS IN THE APT. I CALL ELDER CARE, VISITED THE POLICE AND NOTHING CAN BE DONE. I HAVE NO POA.... I LEFT JON'S TOLD HIM THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO. HE SAYS NO TO EVERY IDEA.... WILL NOT MOVE, GO TO A DOCTOR, EMERGENCY ROOM, FEARS I'M GOING TO PUT HIM AWAY AND I'M HIS ONLY SISTER WE WERE VERY CLOSE A LIFETIME. NOW HE TALKS CRAZY. I SAW NOT A THING GOING ON AROUND HIS APT. INSIDE OR OUTSIDE. HE HAS NO ONE BUT ME. I LIVE IN DENVER AND HE IN MO. I AM HYPO AND HYPERTHYROID. I HAD MY BLOOD TEST IN DEC. IT CAME BACK OKAY! MY NAILS ARE NONE AND WEAK, MY HAIR WHICH IS THICK IS FALLING OUT I'M KEEPING IT FROM MY SHOWERS, IT'S GOT SO BAD IT ENDS UP IN MY FOOD, COFFEE, THE CARPET WHEN VACUUMING IS FULL OF MY HAIR. I TAKE EFFEXOR 300MG. A DAY. VERY HIGH, I FALL INTO DEPRESSION, STRONG ANXIETY, ONE YEAR I CAME BACK AND SAT ON MY SOFA FOR 4 MONTHS AND DIDN'T KNOW I WAS DEPRESSED THEN ONE DAY I REALIZED I HAD BEEN SITTING THERE FOR MONTHS. WE HAVE NO RELATIVES MY SISTER DIED 2012 TWO WEEKS AFTER JOHNATHAN HAD HIS FIRST STROKE AT 64, JOANNE DROPPED DIED 65 IN N.Y. I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY. HOPE I GAVE YOU ENOUGH INFO. THANK YOU, JANA 67 WHAT TO DO? NO FRIENDS ONE THAT VERY OCD. I WAS DOING ACUPUNCTURE, BUT HAVE STOPPED. LIFE IS LIFE 04:44, 8 January 2017 (UTC)~
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Hi, I stopped using the pill in September last year and is now experiencing hair loss as a result. I need to relax my hair. Can I relax my hair whilst experiencing this current hair loss?
The pill I was using is called Geanette. Stopped using pill in September. Relax whilst experiencing this current hair loss?. Please help urgently. Thank you.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.