Shave a Beard
Edited by Grimm, Eng
Method 1: with Clippers
Hi, you're watching VisiHow. Today, I'm going to teach you how to shave a beard. To start with, as you can see I've got a bit of what I consider to be overgrowth. You might not feel the same way about it, but that's entirely up to you. For me, it's not really my thing.
- 1Some of you may have one side naturally a bit lower than the other. That's just the way my beard is. Likewise, you're going to have little dips here. For some of you, your mustache area may decide to grow up or stick out at the tops as mine does, in which case you're going to want to shave that. And then of course, there is the worst possible sin of any beard a man can have, which is the neck beard. Neck beards are reserved for generally the lowest class of humanity. For men who don't believe that the neck beard is important to attend to, there are certain ladies out there who certainly do not groom themselves and you'll probably find that the two of you are quite happy together. Without further ado, let's get started.What you're going to do when trimming beards is consider the sidelines on each side of where you want your beard to be.
- 2That is going to involve a pair of clippers - a very simple, small and inexpensive set of clippers. I'm using a Panasonic. I have no idea what it is; it does however say that it's washable. I'm old-fashioned, so as a general rule I just take these things apart.The first thing I'm going to do is show you how to trim up your beard if you've decided you'd like to keep it.
- 3It can range from one to twenty. Twenty is quite long as you can see here. It's the size of my finger. That's much more beard than I have. You can go even farther if you choose to do so. If you turn it down, the space between the tines and the blades decreases.You've got a dial on it, as you can see here, which has a set of numbers.
- 6I heard a few. So if I do it at number five, it's going to keep this length, cutting the longest possible hairs off. So if I go across my face like this with number five, you can here little clips and buzzes here and there. Not much, but just enough. There's a very small difference. Certainly not enough that anyone would ever notice it, but I noticed it so I suppose that's the important part.Just listen for clips in buzzing.
- 10Now we're going to switch to a section on how to shave using a razor, to clean it up and make it look nicer. You've been watching VisiHow. Thank you for your time and especially if you are shaving off your neck beard or cleaning yourself up otherwise. It makes the rest of us guys look better at the same time.That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you trim a beard with clippers.
Video: Shave a Beard with Clippers
Method 2: with a Razor
You're watching VisiHow. In our last video, we showed you how to trim up your beard using a pair of clippers. In this video, we're going to discuss how to trim your beard further by using a razor blade. In my case, I'm going to be using three very simple tools.
- 1It's new. I would always recommend using a new razor when you shave. If you have a preference for any of the common razors you might find, then by all means use one of those. Some razor blades are quite expensive. However, if you're particularly worried about how you shave, definitely get your razor blades sorted out.I am first going to be using a Gillette disposable razor.
- 4The reason I rub it into my dry beard first is I want to get as much soap as possible push into all the hair so that when I dip my hand in the water, I can rub it into the soap. If you prefer to use a shaving cream, you're certainly welcome to. I never use shaving cream. In fact, most of the time I don't even use soap. I just use water. The reason I'm soaping up my entire beard and not just the edges is I want to be able to see what I'm trimming.We're going to get soap on our hand and rub that into our dry beard.
- 5The neck beard is this line that goes under here. When you look at yourself in the mirror, you can see this line. Your chin is here, which goes straight up to your neck. And that line is your neck beard. And while you may think a neck beard looks cool, most ladies and most professionals do not. It's a simple process. It does not have to be perfect, as you can see mine is not perfect.In this case, I'm going to start with the neck beard.
- 9Remember also, do not press hard. Never press hard when shaving. In fact, never press hard when doing anything with a knife or a razor. A sharp knife or a razor is designed to cut without a tremendous amount of pressure. Surgeons using scalpels do not jab into their patients. You should be treating your face the same way a surgeon treats their patients - very carefully, very gently and very easily shave.The next step to make sure it's nice and smooth is to shave upwards.
- 11As I've mentioned earlier this line sits just a little bit higher than the other one. So to find the lower point, you match that to the corner of your mouth. Corner of the mouth, out, and this one sits just a bit low. Corner of the mouth, out, and this one sits a bit high.Find which line on your face is the lower of the two.
- 14There's a couple ways you can trim your mustache, but if you're not terribly worried about this section here, you can also take out tweezers to remove any offensive hair. Just be aware that it's one of the most excruciating pains that a man will ever experience. So we're going to clean this line off over here.Now what we do is trim this mustache on the side, where it's going to go up on the side towards my ears or eyes, as may be the case.
- 15That's so that I can get the same on both sides. I'm stretching my mouth and as a result, the skin of the lips and the face around where messy hair grow, so that I can trim it up. You can see where the hair is wild, and on this side of my face the hair is not wild.Notice that I have my mouth open in the O shape.
- 17We're going to scrub the soap off a little bit so you can see what it looks like. And there is the trim! It doesn't look 100% perfect, but beards are like that. If you have a beard, it's going to go wild and stick out. That's what happens with beards. It's perfectly normal.And then take a little bit from the water we have.
Video: Shave a Beard with a Razor
Categories : Beauty & Aesthetics
Recent edits by: Grimm