Edited by Maria Sharon Ubando, estrella sacragon, Lynn, Eng
Warmth and moisture are the two factors that trigger the growth of mold. The kitchen, bathroom, attic and basement are common places where it thrives. Of course, it can grow in any other room as well, if the environment is favorable for its growth. Not only does mold grow in our rooms, but it can also be found in our bags, shoes, books and even in our clothes. While the smell alone can be bothersome, it can be even be more annoying when you find mold on your favorite stuff! Want to get rid of it the easy and sure way? Then here are some things that you can do:
Removing Mold with Bleach
Using bleach to remove mold helps sanitize the space infected and can actually inhibit mold growth in the future.
- 1Dilute bleach with water, with a ratio of one cup of bleaching agent per gallon of water.
- 2With the use of a spray bottle, cloth or sponge, apply the solution to mold-infected areas.
- 3Unless the area being disinfected is used in preparation of food, there will be no need to rinse it.
Removing Molds with Vinegar
- 1Pour some white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle, but don't water it down.
- 2Spray vinegar onto surfaces with mold and let it sit there for one hour.
- 3By then, any smell from the vinegar will be gone.With the use of water, clean the area and let it dry.
- 4To prevent mold from growing again, spray the surface and leave it, then repeat the process for a few days.
Removing Mold with Ammonia
Ammonia, like bleach, is also effective in killing mold found on non-porous surfaces like tiles and glass, but it's not as effective in killing growing mold on porous surfaces such as wood or drywall. Warning: Ammonia is a harsh chemical and is very toxic. Never mix it with bleach to avoid any hazard. Here is how you can kill mold with ammonia:
- 1Refer to the label to be sure.You should only make use of clear ammonia.
- 2Create a 50-50 solution of ammonia and water in a spray bottle.
- 3Apply or spray the solution on the affected areas.
- 4Leave the solution on the surface for a few hours, rinse, then wipe.
How to Prevent Molds From Growing
Mold can grow really fast in a moist environment. It only takes 24-48 hours for it to thrive. Therefore, it is important that you keep your place dry.
- Water leaks cause moisture, so get any leaking pipes fixed or mold can rapidly start growing. Not only should you check on pipe leaks from the kitchen and bathrooms, but there also are leakages on the walls and roofs so check them carefully.
- Control the humidity. When the humidity in your place increases, even by only 55 percent, mold could start to grow. The proper way to control humidity at home is by providing proper ventilation. When it is hot and warm, open your Windows, and close them when it rains. It is also recommended that you install exhaust fans in places where moisture is more likely to be present, like bathrooms and kitchens. Air conditioners also aide in reducing humidity in the room.
- Do not let wet clothes sit and pile up for a long time. As earlier mentioned, moisture is a major contributor to mold growth. Hang wet clothes outside and bring them inside only when they have completely dried.
- Get enough sunlight for the room. Mold easily grows in dark rooms too. Let natural light come in the room by opening Windows.
Effects of Molds to the Health
While mold isn't as fatal as some viruses, it can still pose hazard to our health. One may show some signs of mold allergy like sneezing, skin irritation, watery eyes and running or congested nose. People with weak immune system are usually the ones most affected by mold infection. Some studies show that the greater effects of mold on humans may likely include dysfunction in the respiratory system, liver damage, flu-like symptoms, vomiting and diarrhea. People who are exposed to a huge amount of mold, like farmers, are the most prone to such infection. Should you have some suspicions that the illness or discomfort you are suffering from is due to mold exposure, you should consult a doctor without delay.
Effect of Mold on Pets
Not only humans are susceptible to mold allergy or infection. In fact, pets are more so, since they are smaller than us and have weaker respiratory systems, in general. They can be affected by either or both indoor and outdoor molds. Some indications that your pet could possibly be mold-infected are:
- ear infections
- runny nose
- scaly patches
Should you notice these symptoms, have your pet checked.
Recent edits by: Lynn, estrella sacragon, Maria Sharon Ubando