Prevent Car Accidents
Edited by Debbie, Lynn, Nate Pepperell, Eng and 1 other
Tires squealing, glass shattering, and people screaming. These are some of the sounds that may be familiar to anyone who has been involved in a car accident. It is estimated that around 1.2 million persons are killed in road crashes each year. As many as 50 million have injuries. On some roads, the speed limit may seem too low for you to drive, but it you decide to go over that speed, you could cause an accident. What are some ways you can prevent a car accident?
Safety Tips That Can Help Prevent Car Accidents
- 1They are made to keep us safe. A government agency in the U.S. reported that they saved over 72,000 lives between 2005 and 2009 in that country. So make sure you buckle up, and tell other people with you to please do the same.Wear Your Seat Belt.
- 2If you have poor tread on them, they may slide all over the road and cause an accident. Traction is reduced on roads that are wet or those that are covered with dust and gravel. You should also invest in tires that have deeper tread for the winter.Have Good Tires.
- 3Brakes should be in good condition, and there should be plenty of tire pressure to improve handling and braking. Your headlights, turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights. need to be working properly too.Keep Your Car in Good Condition.
- 5Watch for road hazards ahead of you and behind. Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and others. Don't drive when you are sleepy! Get plenty of rest before you take a trip. If you feel tired, pull off to the side of the road.Stay Alert.
- 6Don't perform multiple tasks while driving. Talking on the phone or texting, eating or drinking, or getting distracted by the radio or other people in the car can all cause accidents.Avoid Distractions.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Anger can affect driving habits, especially in case of road rage.
- Keep Your speed down.
- Drive smoothly. Frequent acceleration and braking can cause accidents, and can also waste fuel.
Common Things that Are Usually Done in the Car that May Lead to Accidents
- 1While this depends on the tolerance of the driver to loud music, it is still not advised as it can make you unaware of your surroundings. It divides your focus between the road and the music. Although if you have been driving for a long time, you will find that it's totally possible to multitask as you drive. However, if you want to keep safe, this is not advisable to do. Your main attention has to be on the road and not something else.Playing very loud music.
- 2This normally happens to groups of teenagers on a road trip. They will be very unruly inside the car as they joke and play around. While there's nothing wrong in having fun, this may not be ideal to do inside the car while moving on the road. It can be very distracting to the driver and there will be so many things that he needs to divide his attention to and this is not healthy. If you have to make fun of the person driver, do it elsewhere, not when he is driving.Joking around violently inside the car.
- 3This commonly happens between couples when they ride inside the car. Although there are really no rules in what can be discussed inside the car, if you have to argue or fight about something, leave it to another time when both parties can concentrate. If you go on with the fight, the emotions get high and the next moment, you realize that you are also driving recklessly. This is because when you're upset, it tends to affect the way you handle the car as well. Also, the car is very small to be with someone that you are arguing with. Overall, this does not create a very good and conducive environment inside the car and this can easily lead to accidents.Fighting.
- 4In most countries, there are strict regulations against using the mobile phone while driving. However, recently, there are excuses as to why some people use it and they are able to avoid tickets because of this excuse. Google Maps has been very useful when driving and people say that they are using the mobile phone to look at directions and the like. However, in reality, a good number of people actually sneak around and use the other functions in the mobile phone as well. While this may not be discovered easily by traffic police, you still have to avoid doing that because it simply is not safe and it distracts you from the road.Using the mobile phone.