Open a Small Used Clothing Shop
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Lynn, Eng, Christine dela Cruz
Opening a small business may seem easy, but it is actually the other way around. If you do not know what to consider as a business, then you'll have a dilemma. When it comes to business, you have to make sure that you start a business that every human being would "need" to have. Fail safe businesses include clothing.
You have to look at the market (the people who might be buying your stuff). You have to make sure that your clothing business will cater to the people who are around your area. So let me give you more tips on what you should do before you can open a small used clothing shop. Used clothing is not just "in" - it has now become a fashion. It is considered by many to be the "normal" shopping way. That is why, if you will be starting a business, it's better to start with something that is out of the ordinary and also affordable.
Things to Consider
- 1You cannot sell Gucci to middle class men and women, right? So you have to determine the people who will be buying your stuff.The Market – You have to check out who and what types, or even the class of people you will be selling to.
- 2Do not settle for a location that is within a location. A good location should be in the middle of everything to make sure that people will notice you and see that you are selling something that they need.The Location - Always take into consideration that the location where you will be placing your business in will be in the "limelight" or in the midst of everything.
- 3The location, the market and the items should fall into place with your budget. If you start a small used clothing business, you should have ample start-up money - around $10,000-15,000 for costs and buying some of the items that you will be selling, paying for the rental location, and making some other miscellaneous purchases.The Budget - Before starting a business, make sure to check your budget.
- 4You also have to consider the quality of the clothes you are selling. Buyers would like something of everything. Your clothes should have diversity and it should have almost everything. For example, if your customers will be looking for blouses, you should have them in different sizes to give them what they want and a lot of choices.The Items - When you are selling something like clothing, you have to consider the buyer's budget.
- 5Since you are just starting small, you can use an advertising trick that is free, which is using the power of the people. Spreading the news by word of mouth that you have a shop opening, using the power of the people starts with your family members and friends. They will then share the news with their family members to their friends. You should also invest in tarpaulins, flyers and even a decent sound system to catch the attention of the passersby and potential customers.The Advertising – Any type of business should have advertisement.
- 6Good luck! And more power to you!Once you have considered the things mentioned above, then you are ready to start your own small used clothing store.
How to Stand Out from the Rest of Your Competitors
There are already several small used clothing shops out there and the competition is rather tough. If you do not do anything unique, the possibility of losing to the competitor is high. Therefore, here are some ways that you can do in order to be able to stand out from the rest of the crowd:
- 1Yeah, you are selling used clothes, but this does not mean that the clothes have to look really old. Nobody would want to buy that kind of thing, even when it is so cheap. A few successful used clothing shops pay attention to how they organize their stocks and package them in a way that it will still be able to attract attention. Used clothings are at times sold not because they are not pleasant anymore, but because the previous owner has other things to use already. So more often than not, the likelihood of finding some really good items is high, but you just need to make sure that people are able to see it because it catches their attention.Package the clothes properly.
- 2There are several used clothing shops there that will make your nose really hurt because of the smell. The items smell old and there seems to be a lot of dust everywhere in the shop. There is no way that you will be able to attract customers with this kind of a setup. It will not only be very uncomfortable for them, they will also worry that they may get some sort of disease from your shop and items. It also tells them that the clothes may be doubtful as well in terms of cleanliness, so it gives them no reason to buy them.Keep your shop smelling good.
- 3Used clothing shops that have a theme are perceived to be more attractive compared to the "everything goes" type of shops. For example, you may want to sell used clothings which are rare or convey a particular message. This way, you develop your market through a niche and that guarantees you more repeat customers. Also, these types of people who are buying things because they are so fond of them, they would not mind buying second hand, as long as they find what they are looking for.Create a theme.
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, mahalia jovita b. bugasto