Make Sushi at Home
Edited by Maureen D., Lynn, Rebecca M., sheryl hernandez and 2 others
Who does not love Japanese dishes? Sushi, Sashimi, Gyoza are only a few of the amazing Japanese foods that everyone is going crazy about. These dishes not only taste good, but they look so innovative as well, which only adds to the enjoyment of those who are eating them. The common ingredients in making Sushi, are vinegared rice "shari", sliced raw meat or seafood, and vegetables. Here are some Sushi recipes for those who want to experience these Japanese dishes at home.
California Roll Sushi
8 pieces yield from 1 roll. 12 minutes preparation time
- 23/4 cup Sushi rice
- 4Avocado sliced thickly
- 5Sesame seeds, black and white
- 3Spread a handful of Sushi rice on the Nori sheet; do not press.
- 4Take a spoonful of Tobiko and spread it evenly on the rice, as well as sesame seeds.
- 5Turn the Nori upside down.
Things you will need
- 1A bamboo mat
- 2A Nori sheet
- 3Sushi rice
- 4Sliced fish
- 5Vegetables for filling (carrots, cucumber, asparagus)
- 1Lay the Nori sheet on the bamboo mat with its rough side facing up.
- 3Place a slice of fish on the edge of the Nori sheet.
- 5Roll the sushi.
In Japanese custom, Nigiri Sushi is usually presented in two pieces as a sign of peace and harmony.
- 1Sushi rice
- 2Salmon or tuna slices
- 3Wasabi paste
- 4Strips of Nori sheet, optional
- 2Take a slice of fish and smear a dollop of wasabi in the middle, it will act as "glue".
- 3Press it firmly.Place the slice of fish on the rice with the wasabi side facing down.
Uramaki or Inside Out Sushi
Things You Will Need
- 1Bamboo Mat
- 2Nori sheet
- 3Sushi rice
- 4Fish slices
- 5Vegetables (depends on your preference)
- 2Break a Nori sheet in the middle, and lay it on the mat with its rough side facing up.
- 3Make a ball of rice and spread it on the Nori sheet evenly.
- 4Turn the Nori sheet upside down, so now the rice is under the Nori sheet.
- 5On the edge of the Nori sheet, lay the fish slices together with the vegetables.
- 6Roll it tightly.
- 7Cut it with a sharp and wet knife into eight equal pieces.
How to Make Sushi Rice
- 21/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 32 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 42 Teaspoons of Salt
- 2Place the rice in a pot and pour water, it should be a little bit more than the rice but don't put a lot of water as it will make the rice very soft and dough like texture.
- 3Cook in high heat, stirring every other minute to keep it from sticking at the bottom.
- 4Lower the heat to minimum as soon as it boils.
- 5Cover the pot with a lid and do not stir.
- 6It is ready in about 8 minutes.
- 9Placing it in the refrigerator will do it no good.Let the rice cool down naturally at room temperature.
Tips & Tricks
- Squeeze lemon on avocado to prevent the fruit from turning brown if not to be used right away.
- Make sure to wash away the rice's starch residue to avoid having a pasty finish product.
- Add some spicy condiments to make your sushi more moist.
- Purchase only sushi grade fish to avoid bacterial contamination and illnesses.
- Always use separate cutting boards for raw and cooked ingredients to prevent cross contamination.
- Wash hands well before handling food.
Categories : Ethnic Foods
Recent edits by: Christine Cruz, sheryl hernandez, Rebecca M.