Make Refrigerated Cake
Edited by sheryl hernandez, Rebecca M., Eng, Christine dela Cruz
Refrigerated cakes are a wonderful addition to any desert table. They are perfect not only for the warmer months when no one wants to turn the oven on, but around the holidays there never seems to be enough oven space. After a heavy meal of turkey, ham, and other rich foods, a light desert like a refrigerated cake is just the thing to top it all off. As an additional bonus, there is no last minute rush because these cakes are usually made the night before they will be needed.
- 45 pieces of honey or plain graham crackers, coarsely crushed
- 2-8 oz. tubs of non-dairy whipped cream
- 2 small boxes of cheesecake flavored instant pudding
- 2 small boxes of chocolate flavored instant pudding (or flavor of your choice)
- 3 Cups of milk (to prepare pudding)
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (for garnish)
- 1Place the crushed graham crackers in the bottom of a 9x13 inch glass or metal pan and be sure that the bottom is completely covered.
- 2In a small bowl combine cheesecake flavored pudding and 1 1/2 cup of the milk.
- 3Whisk until it is smooth and begins to thicken.
- 4(5 to 10 minutes)Pour directly over the graham crackers and refrigerate until pudding is set.
- 5When pudding is set, spread one container of the whipped cream directly on top of the pudding.
- 6(reserve the other half for the topping)If using nuts in your recipe, sprinkle half of them over the whipped cream.
- 7Prepare chocolate pudding with the other 1 1/2 cup of milk and pour over the whipped cream and nuts.
- 8Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes
- 9Spread remaining whipped cream over the top and garnish with remaining nuts and chocolate chips.
- 10Refrigerate overnight or until ready to serve
- This cake can be made with any combination of pudding flavors that you like. You can also replace the nuts with crushed toffee bits or cookies.
Common Variations to the Refrigerated Cake
- 1You still use the same graham crackers and cream but you insert fruits in between. This is a rather simple and healthy variation because you do not need to cook or make anything. All you need to do is peel and slice the fruits thinly so that you can line them up nicely in between. You can mix different fruits in different layers, or make it more organized in a way that one layer would be one type of fruit and then another layer would be another type of fruit. The most common fruits to use are peaches, apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, mangoes, blueberries, and the like.Fruity cake.
- 2This is another popular variety. It is basically a cake with layers of graham crackers, cream, and jelly. Again, you just have to alternate these three components. If you'd like to make it look more attractive, you can make different colors of jellies. If you are able to make a thick cake, you can even utilize rainbow colored jellies. This would be very attractive for kids. Another variation would be to blend in the jelly and some fruits. You can cut off the jelly in small cubes and mix it with different fruits to form a layer.Jello cake.
- 3Instead of cream, you can simply put ice cream in between the graham crackers. To make it even more interesting, you can use different flavors of ice cream for every layer. If you would like to make the top of it more appealing, you can put cream and then decorate it with candy sprinkles or colorful chocolates or gummy bears. You can even put those edible flowers for design. Chocolate syrup is a good option too, especially if you want to write some message on your cake.Ice cream cake.
- 4This will be layers of graham crackers, cream, and granola and oats. You can also add corn flakes if you like. This will add an interesting crunch to your refrigerator cake. You can also use those colorful cereals such as fruit loops for a more playful look. This is not only an easy cake to make, it will also be rather healthy since oats and cereals are known to be good for the heart.Granola and oats cake.