Lock and Unlock Samsung Galaxy S5's Screen Using the Fingerprint Scanner
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Maria Quinney, Dougie, Randys140 and 16 others
Hi, you're watching a video on VisiHow. We're going to show you how to set up fingerprint security on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
- 1 Steps
- 2 Video: Lock and Unlock Samsung Galaxy S5's Screen Using the Fingerprint Scanner
- 3 Register Fingerprints on Samsung Galaxy S5
- 4 Setup Fingerprint Lock on Samsung Galaxy S5
- 5 Unlock Samsung Galaxy S5 Screen Using Fingerprint Recognition
- 6 Tips and Tricks
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Comments
- 4Tap that one time, and that's going to open up our settings menu. Now I'm filming it on its side so that this is easier for you to see, as I'm swiping my fingerprints in the register there. Otherwise, we would have it upright.Once you're in the applications menu, you're going to look for 'Settings', which is a gear icon.
- 6We can also change our alternative password. So, let's start with registering our fingerprints.Finger Scanner is going to let us register and manage our fingerprints, and then we'll be able to choose the screen lock that we're going to have, and we can also verify our Samsung account if we choose to.
- 8Now, this is important, because you can simply set up the lock; however, this way you've got your fingerprints registered and then you can use them. So this is actually the best way to set this up for your device. So, this is fine with me. I don't need to see this again, but I'm going to leave it unchecked because I may make another tutorial later. For you, just tap 'Do not show again' and then click OK.That's going to bring up a window that tells me, "In order for fingerprint recognition to function, your fingerprint information needs to be registered and stored in your device." So, once that's done, and it's registered, I will have the option to use my fingerprint for fingerprint lock, or to verify my Samsung account.
- 9So, I'm going to slide my finger over this key a total of eight times. As I'm doing this, I'm trying to put my finger on a slightly different angle, moving it a little to the side as you see how my hand is turning as I do this. The reason for this is because sometimes my finger might not be in the exact position. So, that's my index finger; now that finger is registered there.Now the device is going to tell us we need to slide our finger down over the 'Home' key, and we need to repeat this a total of eight times.
- 10Another important thing is later, if you set up a VPN or other account, you're going to need an alternative password setting that's going to come up. That password needs to be at least six characters, and one of them has to be a number, so it's always a good idea to try and pick something with some numbers in it. So let's pick something easy, and not something we'll forget. I entered "VisiHow15". Now, click 'Continue'.Now, I can enter a password to use as an alternative to my fingerprint.
- 13So what I should do is just slide that finger across there. It's recognized, and now we're in the device, so I can press the 'Home' button to get back to my home screen.Now all I have to do is press the button to lock my screen, and now when I press it to unlock it, it's going to give me the option to slide my fingerprint across, or use my alternative password or make an emergency call.
- 20If you have any interest in deleting them or deregistering them, it's very easy to do. You just tap these little three dots here, and you get the option to deregister one of them. And you can select one or all of them, or you can tap 'Back' if you change your mind.So, these are now both registered.
- 22I can lock my device and press the lock key again to open it. And when I want to open it, I can use my left finger or my right finger. So as you can see, I've now set up fingerprint scanning on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, and you can do it the same way. Thanks for using VisiHow. If you have any questions or need help with this, please let us know in the section below. And remember, don't forget that alternative password. If you do, we have a password help section you can use, which will help you get back into your device. Have a great day!Now, I can press the 'Home' button to go home.
Video: Lock and Unlock Samsung Galaxy S5's Screen Using the Fingerprint Scanner
Samsung's powerful Galaxy S5 is packed with one of the fastest processors, a fantastic camera and lots of features to help with your health. We have all the tutorials, instructions and tips on how to get the most out of your phone here: Category:All About Samsung Galaxy S5.
First among the lines of Samsung Galaxy phones, Galaxy S5 has incorporated Fingerprint Recognition on its touchscreen. This finger scanner adds a layer of security and accessibility, and at the same time, it can be used to login through your Samsung Account and make payments through Paypal. You can also use your fingerprints to unlock your device's screen. This article will discuss all the things you need to know to set up your phone to lock using the fingerprint locking technology and unlock it using your finger.
Register Fingerprints on Samsung Galaxy S5
Before you can use Fingerprint Recognition on your device, you need to register a fingerprint on Galaxy S5. Your device can store up to a maximum of three fingerprints into it. To register a fingerprint, do these procedures:
- 6If a fingerprint has already been registered on your device, a pop-up window will appear asking for a confirmation from the fingerprint that has already been saved. Scan your fingerprint on your Galaxy S5 and tap to continue.If this is the first time that you are registering a fingerprint, then proceed to the next step.
- 9Enter the password and tap Continue to proceed. Enter the same password again to verify your password and tap on OK to confirm. This password will be used to unlock your Galaxy S5 in case your phone doesn't recognize your finger.A pop-up window will appear asking for an alternative password.
- Do not bend your finger while swiping as this may make it difficult for your device to recognize your fingerprint.
- Do not use your fingertip, as your phone will scan for the fingerprints. The device may not recognize your fingerprint if you use your fingertip.
Setup Fingerprint Lock on Samsung Galaxy S5
You can set your phone to lock and accept any registered fingerprint. To do that:
- 6From the list of Screen Lock, touch Fingerprint.
Unlock Samsung Galaxy S5 Screen Using Fingerprint Recognition
When your phone is locked, you can use your fingerprint to unlock your device. To unlock your Galaxy S5 using the fingerprint detection feature, follow these procedures:
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure that you swipe your finger until you reach the Home button. Your device's Home button contains a fingerprint recognition sensor. Take extra care of your Home button, do not put your phone in your pocket together coins, keys or other metals as they could scratch and damage your Home button.
- If the fingerprint recognition sensor seems to malfunction, check with the screen protector directly above it. Make sure the protector is free from scratches or other impurities.
- The fingerprint recognition sensor will not fully recognize a finger that is wet or sweaty. Make sure you dry your finger before using this feature.
- Static electricity can build up on your Galaxy S5 if it's in a very dry environment. If you can, do not use the fingerprint feature in this instance. If you really like to use the feature, make sure that you discharge any static electricity buildup by touching any metal object before touching your phone.
- A deep dive into the Galaxy S5's snappy fingerprint scanner.2014.http://www.cnet.com/how-to/a-deep-dive-into-the-galaxy-s5s-snappy-fingerprint-scanner/ (accessed April 06, 2014)
- How does the Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner work?.2014.http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127605-how-does-the-samsung-galaxy-s5-fingerprint-scanner-work (accessed April 06, 2014)
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Fingerprint scanner hands-on / demo.2014.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAzTBKkrRU (accessed April 06, 2014)
Questions and Answers
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: DeleteQnA, Nuance, jayq