Install and Set Up Truecaller to Know Who Is Calling Your Android Device
Edited by Jay, Alma, Maria Quinney
Who hasn't, at some point or another, received a call or text on their Android device from an unknown person? It's pretty safe to say during the course of owning a mobile phone with an active number, you've received at least a few unwanted or suspicious looking calls or texts. Most devices will only identify a caller if they are programmed into your actual phone. Some service providers offer caller ID services, but they can be spotty at best. The solution; a free app (with paid option available) for your Android device called, Truecaller. A feature rich app that can identify unlisted numbers even while you're not connected to the internet. In addition to blocking spammy and unwanted calls, Truecaller now has a block SMS feature as well. Block unknown callers and texts and reap the rewards of an active community that updates their spam database day-to-day. For the purpose of this article, we used a Samsung Galaxy S4 to demonstrate the installation process and features.
- 11You can check for spam updates by tapping the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button.This screen is where you manage "Block" settings.
- The first option inside block settings is the "Block Spammers" checkbox. Leave this checked if you want to eliminate unwanted calls.
- The second setting is the "Block Hidden Numbers" checkbox. Leaving this checked will block any number that shows as unknown.
- The third option inside block settings is "Block Method". Choose either; Reject Automatically or Ring Silently.
- Availability is the first setting within General settings. Toggle this switch off to hide your availability.
- Tap in call history. Here you can select either "Call" or "View profile".
- Who can see my profile information? By default, this setting is set to "Request Only". You can switch it to, "Public".
- Copied numbers. Leave this setting on if you want Truecaller to identify numbers you copy anywhere.
- Messaging apps. Turn this on to identify unknown senders in WhatsApp, Viber or Telegram. This setting needs notification access.
- Auto download images. By leaving this setting off, Truecaller will only download profile images while connected to WiFi. If you don't mind profile images being downloaded using your data, you can switch this on.
- Dial pad feedback. You can select between; Silent, Vibrate only, Sound only or Sound and Vibrate.
- Speed dial. This is where you can assign a speed dial number to your contacts.
- Missed calls notifications. Turning this on will allow you to see names and photos of missed calls. To use this option, you need to allow True caller notification access.
- Remind me of missed calls. Leave this on and you will receive a reminder when you forget to return a call you missed.
- Clear missed calls. If you select this option, the standard dialer on your device will open momentarily to clear out missed calls when you launch True caller.
There's no question the free version of True caller offers an abundance of great features. With the Pro version, you get a trusted Pro badge for your profile, no more in-app ads, and use contact requests.
Upgrade to Premium
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- Always be careful when handing out your contact information.
- For additional security, you can change your privacy settings from Public to Request only (general settings).
Protect your Android device from spammy, unsolicited, and unknown calls with this simple but powerful app. With hassle-free installation and easy-to-use features, Truecaller is one of those must have apps for the privacy conscious Android user.
Categories : General Android Mobiles & Tablets
Recent edits by: Alma, Jay