Install Google Apps On Android Device
Edited by Saira, Lynn, Eng, Christine dela Cruz and 5 others
Google apps are the proprietary apps included in almost every Android device. While installing an official ROM, there is no need to install Google apps separately as they are already included in the firmware. But while installing a custom ROM, Google apps are not included. Google Apps basically consists of about seven to eight apps in one package, depending on the version you are about to install. It usually includes Google Play Store, Google Talk, Gmail, Google Sync, Google Back-up, Google Maps, Google Search and YouTube. You can find almost all of these apps in the Google Play Store, except the Play Store itself, but installing them one at a time can be quite a task, so to ease your temper, you can follow the instructions below to download the whole bunch of GApps for all the Android versions.
- 1Do not extract the file. Download GApps, according to the version you want to install.
- 2Copy and paste the downloaded file to the root of your SD card, not in any folder in the phone's memory.
- 3Power off your device.
- 4Depending on your device, there are different ways to get into recovery.Turn on your device into recovery mode.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Select the GApps according to the Android version that the custom ROM is based on.
- Any custom or stock recovery must be installed on your device.
- Google apps are mostly necessary for CyanogenMod only, as any other custom ROM will give you the OTA update for Google Apps.
Most Popular and Frequently-Used Google Apps
- 1Google Mail has in fact gained more popularity over Yahoo in terms of being used in the office. Yahoo had an initial appeal that it's better to use for personal matters and that Google Mail is more professional in terms of overall layout and functionality. Google Mail was also the first to be able to prevent the influx of a lot of spam. Google Mail also allows for companies to create their company mail through the Google Mail domain. This has made Google Mail extremely useful for companies and even those who are doing freelance work.Google Mail.
- 2Along with Google Mail being used for business purposes, Google Drive has been recognized by a lot as a good tool towards productivity. What happens is that you can easily drop your files there and even when you move to another device, you will still be able to access those files easily when you log in to your Google Drive account. You also do not need to create a separate account as long as you have your Google account, you can basically use this for all other apps.Google Drive.
- 3This is another very useful app used for the office. What happens is that you upload a file into your Google Drive and then you share this file to people. You can also allow the people that you share it with to edit the file. This is very useful whenever you are collaborating in a project because one person can edit a file and you would see it right away. All changes made to the file are immediately saved and so you do not need to spend time having to exchange emails and marking the revisions that you have made so the other person can see it. Google Docs is a good portal to work on a same file together.Google Docs.
- 4Traveling and driving around used to be so much difficult when Google Maps was not yet around. However, right now, all you need to do is type in the address of your origin and then destination and it will automatically give you the direction as well as the different modes of transport available. This works very well in the US, although for all other countries, you are still able to use the map as well. This functions much like a GPS in a way that it would point you exactly where to go and it will detect whether you are already getting lost or not.Google Maps.
Recent edits by: Nuance, Calob Horton, Dougie