Insert and Remove the Memory Card of Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Kirk, Rich, Lynn and 19 others
How to Use the Samsung Galaxy S4
This is part of the Howikis on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. The link to the mother howikis is here - USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 may have a decent internal memory. Depending on the model, internal memory of the phone may be 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB. Still, with today's HD videos and games, this generous amount of space may not be enough. A memory card will come in handy. A memory card inserted on your phone may boost its storage capacity up to four times. Instructions on how to install a memory card on your Samsung Galaxy S4 and some tips and tricks will be discussed here. Feel free to add your comments, suggestions, corrections or questions in the comments section.
Inserting a Memory Card on Samsung Galaxy S4
- 2Inserting the card on the wrong side will not allow it to be a perfect fit, that is your clue. Do not force it as it may damage your memory card slot.Insert your memory card with the gold-coloured contacts facing downwards.
Removing a Memory Card
Unlike inserting a memory card to the memory card slot, steps for removing the memory card has a few more steps. You need to make sure to unmount the memory card to prevent it from damage or possible data error.
- 1To do this go to MENU > APPS > SETTINGS > MORE > STORAGE > UNMOUNT SD CARD.Unmount the SD Card from your phone.
- 2Remove the back cover of your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 3Pull it out to completely remove it from the slot.Push the memory card out of the memory card slot.
- 4Put back the back cover and lock it in gently.
Formatting a Memory Card
If you know what you are doing, you can format your memory card using your computer. Samsung Galaxy S4 supports the FAT and the exFAT file systems for memory cards. However, if you are not familiar on formatting using these file systems, you can use your phone to format your memory card so that it can recognize and use it.
- 1Be sure to backup important files before proceeding,Formatting will delete all of the memory card's data.
- 2Format the memory card by going to MENU > APPS > >SETTING > MORE > STORAGE > FORMAT SD CARD > FORMAT SD CARD > ERASE EVERYTHING
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Not all memory cards are fully compatible with Samsung Galaxy S4. Using an incompatible memory card may damage or corrupt the phone or the memory card.
- Be careful when inserting the memory card as the thing can be damaged easily.
- As stated above, your phone supports FAT and exFAT file systems, if the inserted memory card has a different file system, your phone may ask you to reformat it.
- Before doing any reformat on the memory card, make sure to backup.
- Do not remove the memory card without unmounting it nor do not attempt to pull it out while there is a data transmission from and to your phone as this may cause the data to be corrupted.
- Frequent erasing and writing of data to your memory card will shorten its useful life.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: DeleteQnA, VisiHow, Damir