Identify Signs of Bullying
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Ryan, Lynn and 6 others
Lately, children committing suicide due to being bullied have been in the news. Though the cause of these suicides may not entirely be blamed on bullying, but being a victim from bullying can be part of the reason. Bullying is an age-old problem but has only recently been taken seriously. Usually, bullying happens at school, though it may happen to your home and neighborhood too. We have outlined the ways on how to identify if your child is being bullied or is bullying others. Early detection and action may save lives.
Types of Bullies
There are different types and approaches in bullying. Knowing the types of bullies will help you identify the signs and ways on how to help a child being bullied and the child bullying.
- 1These are the children who abuse other children through physical force. Usually they are bigger in body proportion, or are in groups to leave the victim helpless against physical abuse. These are the obvious bullies and signs of abuse can be seen easily.Physical Bullies.
- 2These are the children who abuse other children verbally or through taunting. They speak verbally abusive language to their victims, tease them or taunts them from a possible physical abuse. The signs of a child victim of a verbal bully may not be seen physically but can be detected through a victim's emotional responses.Verbal Bullies.
- 3These are the children who harass their victims by spreading rumors or real but shameful news. Signs of abuse may not be physically present but can be seen on a child's emotional responses.Indirect Bullies.
- 4These are the children who abuse other children by way on internet. These can be coursed through emails and social media. This is the digital form of verbal and indirect bullying. Like the latter two type, signs of these abuse may not be physically identifiable but only through a child's emotional responses.Cyber Bullies.
Indications That a Child is Being Bullied
As a parent or a guardian, you should be wary of signs for a child being bullied. Depending on the type of abuse a child gets, these signs may differ. Below are the indications that a child is being bullied.
- 1Some children may hide this or make excuses that these were caused during playing.The child seems to have bruises and wounds that occur from time to time.
- 2Tattered and destroyed uniforms and school items, lost items and supplies.
- 3Some may even fake illnesses just to escape from going to school. Common illnesses being faked are stomach-aches, toothaches, and headaches.The child shows disinterest in going to school.
- 4Some loss the appetite to eat while others suddenly has the urge to eat a lot. This can be caused by bullies forcing them to eat some stuff or taking their lunches from them.Sudden change in eating habits.
- 5Some children loss the will to study.Sudden drop in grades for no reason.
- 6Some children suddenly withdraw from their normal friends and prefers to stay alone.Sudden change in behavior.
- 7The child often experience nightmares and has difficulties in sleeping.
- 8Some verbally speak of it while others unconsciously write it on their notebooks.The child mentions about suicide.
Indications That a Child is Bullying Others
A child bullying others may act normal at home. However, as a responsible parent or guardian, you should take note of these signs and check if your child had signs of abusing other children.
- 1He or she gets irritated by anything easily. The child usually get into fight with other children at home or in the neighborhood.The child became short tempered.
- 2A child bullying others would tend to be physically aggressive at home.The child gets more and more aggressive.
- 3The child goes with children who are noted to bully other children.
- 4The child often speaks of verbally abusive language.
- 5He or she does not show remorse in kicking a little kitty or beating the puppy with a stick.The child shows cruelty to animals.
- 6The child often watch violent videos on his cellphone and computer.
- 7The child is conscious with his status and reputation.
- 8The child brings home items that are not his own and has unexplained money on him.
What to Do When There Are Signs of Bullying
- Investigate. Try to ask neighbors, friends and classmates of an involved child (victim or bully) if they notice signs of bullying.
- Report. Report to the school administration and to the parents about the possibilities that a child is bullied or is being a bully.
- Talk. Talk to the involve child and tell him that you are there to help him. Make him understand of the situation and the possible consequences of the actions of both involved.
- Be watchful. Make sure that you frequently check the child's room for possible items that may hurt himself or others.
- Show you love. This is what most children yearn for, even the bully ones.
Categories : Parenting
Recent edits by: VisiHow, Donna, Rebecca M.