Get Rid of Face Pitting
Edited by Rob, Dougie, Eng
People who suffer from acne or other unsightly skin issues, when they're finally free of their blemishes, often have to deal with scarring left over from when they were afflicted. It's one of the ultimate injustices, and it's discouraging to think that your skin might never look the way you want it to.
Pitted scars are just one type of scarring that those with skin issues can look forward to. They look like pits in the skin, little reverse-bumps where the skin of the affected area is lower than the healthier surrounding skin. They may not have the discoloration associated with scarring, often having the same pigmentation as healthy skin, but they're still visible.
So how do you treat them? Unfortunately, it's really difficult to do anything permanent to get rid of pitted scars. Still, there are a few options you can try to at least help reduce their visibility - and a couple of more radical options to try and fix them altogether. Here are the steps you can take.
Some General Skin Care
It's important to note that it isn't possible to correct pitted scarring with a topical ointment. The scarring goes into deep layers of skin tissue, which means rubbing a salve on the top layer of your skin isn't likely to do any lasting good. That said, you can try to improve the overall appearance of your skin, which might go a ways to at least reducing the unappealing look of the scars.
- 1Your skin is delicate, and sunscreen use can help keep it in the best shape. This is an especially important step when you are suffering from an outbreak, as UV radiation can cause acne to hyperpigment (darken) your skin. Hyperpigmentation can last for several months, so take steps to prevent that from happening.Wear sunscreen daily.
- 2It's a good moisturizer and it contains hormones that act as anti-inflammatories. They also help speed up the natural healing of skin.Apply Aloe Vera or Aloe Vera gel to your skin, particularly to affected areas.
- 3It's especially good for dealing with burns.You can also try applying honey, which is an antibacterial that has been found to assist in healing damaged skin.
- 4Speak to a dermatologist if you want the best results, or if anything you try has adverse effects.There are many more options, but as with anything, it's better to speak to an expert about what the best course of action will be for you.
A Few Dermatological Options
For best results in clearing up pitted acne scars, consider looking into one of the following options
- 1These are compounds, often collagen or silicone, that are injected into the skin to fill out any depressions. While silicone is meant to be permanent, collagen will eventually fade away, making your scarring return.Injectable fillers.
- 2A chemical wash is used on your skin, peeling off several layers of dead skin and leaving new skin growth smooth and even looking. The more skin that is peeled, though, the more likely it is that there will be problems. Pigmentation changes and whiteheads are also possible side effects. This will have limited effectiveness for pitted scars.Chemical peels.
- 3Depending on the depth of your scarring, laser treatments, which can either burn away the top layers of skin - similar to chemical peels - or stimulate the collagen production of your skin (no burning the top layer!), could be the ideal method to take care of your skin. You'll need to ask a dermatologist, or a plastic surgeon, if this is an option for you.Laser treatment could be effective.
- 4This involves the surgical removal of the scar itself, typically along with another procedure to even out the level of your skin. Sometimes skin from another area of your body will be grafted in to fill out the area in question, or whatever tissue is left is raised by the surgeon. This is likely the best solution for deep scarring, and you'll need to speak to a dermatologist about this option.Excision.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Speak to a dermatologist to get the best possible treatment.
- If you experience adverse effects when trying a new skin care product, stop using it immediately and seek expert advice if the issue does not correct itself.
- Be patient. There is no way to permanently improve your skin that does not require a few weeks of work or waiting. Quick correction schemes will likely only damage your skin.