Get Promoted Fast in the Marines
Edited by Ephraim, Melvin Magadia, Lynn, Eng and 2 others
This is a guide to make it easier for you to get promoted successfully and in a timely manner in The Marines.
Need to accomplish
- 1This will be a big factor in determining your advancement to the next rank in the military, so it's in your best interest to make certain that you not only meet the physical fitness requirements, but surpass them to the best of your ability.Physical Fitness Test.
- Running. Running is a big part of the physical fitness test, and will have the biggest impact on your score. It's important that you not only pass the time required, but surpass it. Other people are fighting for the same promotion, so you need to stand out; you need to be better than the rest. Aim for five minutes faster than the requirement.
- Pull-Ups. You will be required to perform at least 3 pull-ups to pass the test. 3 pull-ups is the minimum. To score 100 on that portion of your test, build yourself up to 20 pull-ups. If you cannot perform 20, do your best to get to that number which will increase your chances of getting that promotion.
- Sit-Ups. For some, this is the easiest activity of the physical fitness test, while for others, the most difficult. You need to be able to do 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes to get a good score in this portion of the test.
- 2These are courses you can take in order to get promoted to the next rank. Every rank has a different set of courses. If you meet the above requirements (Physical Fitness Test), it won't matter if you don't complete your MCI courses, as they aren't actually "required" until you reach the rank of LCPL. Then they are necessary to be promoted to the Rank of Corporal. Beyond that, every rank will have its own MCIs, required for promotion. Although they aren't required early on, it won't hurt your chances to take them.MCI's.
- 3MCI's Required.
- LCPL to Corporal. One MOS related MCI, Math for Marines, Personal Finance and Leading Marines.
- Corporal to Sergeant. SGTs Program, Basic Grammar, Leadership, Military Studies, War Fighting, War fighting Tactics, War Fighting Techs and Weapons.
Pros and Cons
These are marks that you receive based on your proficiency (Pros) at your job (MOS) and the Conduct (CONS) you display at all times. The highest mark in each category is 5.0. Anything below 3.2 is considered to be poor. The higher your marks the better your chances at getting promoted over the next person.
Questions and Answers
How to increase your chance of becoming a Lance Corporal?
Any member of the U.S. Marines can increase their chances of becoming a Lance Corporal by building up their composite scores. The scores have several components that are computed every three months, however each score must be inputted into the system before the date of computation for an aspiring Lance Corporal to be included in the promotions list. The training must be completed by the 20th day of the second month of every quarter to be eligible for promotion in the next quarter.
- 1These scores are translated to a point system with the maximum or perfect score being five points. They are added together, divided by 3 and then multiplied by 100 to get the complete General Military Performance Score.The first component of the composite score consists of a Marine's rifle qualification score, physical fitness, and combat fitness.
- 2Their NCOs and superiors give them a periodic score for their duty proficiency marks and average conduct marks. They will then be averaged and multiplied by 100.A Marine's work performance also plays a crucial role in his or her promotion chances.
- 3Their time in service and time in grade is multiplied by two and five, and then added to the composite score. Their off-duty hours will also contribute to the composite score. For this reason, many Marines take Marine Corps Institute courses, as well as college and vocational classes, which contribute to their Marine Self-Education Bonus Points.Finally, their years of service and their time in grade in months will also contribute to their promotion.
In order to become a Lance Corporal you will need to remain a PFC for a total of nine months. This is the only option for becoming a Lance Corporal - is waiting for yourself to rank up. There will be no need to gather extra points, as you will pick up your rank by time - 9 months.
How to obtain MCI course personal finances?
In order to take the MCI course, Personal Finances, you simply need to visit your Operations Chief in the Admin Department. They will sign you up for your free MCI, and give you the information packet, which will include the workbooks for this course. Once you've thoroughly studied the course, you will be able to obtain your test from your Operations Chief.
You can obtain this course by visiting your Operations Chief in your Admin department for free by simply requesting the course. Once you have requested the course you will have a waiting period until the book comes in for you to study the material.
How can I get Sergeant in 9 months?
I'm a CPL in the young marines. I want to be a Marine. Semper Fi! I have tried: Nothing. I think it was caused by: Nothing
The Marine Corps promotions don't exactly work the way you'd expect them to. Promotions have a specific time in grade before you are even eligible to pick up (i.e. private to PFC is 6 months; PFC to LCpl is 9 months: LCpl to Cpl is 12 months, etc). To become an NCO, you will have a cutting score. Each MOS has a specific score you much have to be looked at for promotion. The higher the score the better. Another element is the meritorious mast where you can go up on a board against other competing marines and "win" the rank.
Even though it may be impressive becoming a Sgt quickly, keep in mind that becoming a 2 year Sgt isn't necessarily a good thing. Sgts are expected to guide their marines and display the desired traits for an outstanding leader, including selfishness, knowledge, courage, and respect. If you chase after the rank without learning any of these traits, you will not be a Sgt who is looked up to. You will have that respect, but it could be hard getting your subordinates to take you seriously.
What are the 7 required MCIs you have to complete to pick up Corporal?
What are the MCIs I need to do to pick up Corporal faster?
There are no specific required MCIs in order to pick up Cpl, you can do any of them.
Categories : Military
Recent edits by: Nuance, Eng, Lynn