Cook Healthy Meatless Boulognese Spaghetti
Edited by Rafah Perlado, Robbi, Lynn, Eng and 1 other
Spaghetti Bolognese is one of the the most tempting dishes that you can find.
This one has a nice twist in that it is a healthy meatless Bolognese recipe that is designed for those who are health conscious, or even the person who is practicing a vegan or a vegetarian lifestyle.
- 11 kilo spaghetti pasta
- 22 bulbs of medium red onion, minced
- 36 cloves of garlic, minced
- 41 big can Veg-e-Burger
- 51 big can button mushrooms, sliced into desired thickness
- 61 large bottle Bolognese sauce (any brand you prefer)
- 71 200 grams sachet or can tomato paste
- 8Olive oil for sauteing and cooking the pasta
- 9Salt and pepper to taste
- 10White sugar, to balance the flavor
- 11Grated cheese (any variety you prefer)
- 12Fresh basil (optional)
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this dish. You can always change things according to your liking.
- 1Boil generous amount of water in a pot.
- 2Add about 2/4 cup of olive oil.
- 3Note: Salt will give the pasta its flavor, so don't hold back.Add 2 tablespoons of salt or more.
- 4Drop the pasta and continue stirring until al dente.
- 5Drain, but don't rinse with cold water.
How to Determine 'Al Dente'
- Get a strand of the pasta and throw it on a vertical marble or polished surface. If it sticks and doesn't drop, it is already cooked to perfection.
- You can also taste it. If it's firm but chewy, it is al dente.
- 2Add the Veg-e-Burger and cook until the Veg-e-Burger changes color to light brown, which should take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- 4Note:Put 1/4 cup of water in the Bolognese bottle to get all the flavors left, then add in the cooking sauceAdd in the store-bought Bolognese sauce.
- 5Add the tomato paste.
- 6Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8If it tastes too sour for your liking, you can always add white sugar to balance the taste.
- You can combine all the sauces with the pasta if you want to, or you can just serve it separately.
- Top each serving with grated cheese of your choice and fresh basil (optional).
- Serve while hot.
- You can also prepare garlic bread to go with this dish.
- Finely grate or puree a good amount of peeled garlic.
- Add butter (room temperature).
- You may also add finely chopped parsley (optional).
- Combine with a fork until well blended.
- Spread on a bread of your choice.
- Toast until golden brown.
How to Make the Noodles Firm
Spaghetti tastes much better when the noodles are firm and not soggy. It should not feel like it's pasty rice that will crumble the moment you touch it. Usually, low quality noodles will become that way easily, but oftentimes, it is also just dependent on the way you cook your noodles.
Here are some steps that you can follow in order to make sure that you produce firm noodles only:
- 1You have to wait until the water is completely boiling before you do anything with it. You just need to let it stand on the pot and do not disturb it so that it will boil faster. Depending on the volume of water that you would need, this usually takes less than 10 minutes.Prepare a pot of hot water and let it boil for several minutes.
- 2If you see the water starting to bubble more actively, it tells you that it's about to boil already. At this point, put a few drops of olive oil. This will help coat on the noodles later on, allowing it to cook without really destroying the structure of the noodles.Add a few drops of olive oil a few minutes before the water starts to boil.
- 3After a minute, turn off your stove and just let the noodles get immersed onto the boiled water for about 5 minutes. After that, strain it and let it sit for another 5 minutes.Drop the noodles onto boiling water for about a minutes.
- 4This will make sure that excess water does not seep in through the noodles for a long period of time. This is what usually makes noodles soggy. There should not be too much water or they should not be overcooked.Sprinkle a few more drops of olive oil as you let the noodle sit and cool down.
- 5It is most ideal to do this because if you let the sauce on the noodles for a long period of time, that will already affect the overall texture of the pasta. If you prefer to decorate the plate, make sure that you only put the sauce when the pasta plate is ready for serving and that it will be consumed right away.Serve the noodles and pasta separately.