Clean Your Monitor or Laptop Screen
Edited by Seighart, Charmed, Eng, Traveller and 4 others
Maybe you use your Laptop every day, so you almost didn't even notice how dirty it got. Or maybe your machine has been sitting there for months inside your room - it could still get dirty and dusty. Dirt and dust can make your Laptop look old, especially its monitor.
Though a dirty monitor does not actually cause crashing, it would be nice to keep it dust-free.
Get that shine back on your Laptop monitor with the easy steps below.
Do-it-Yourself Monitor Cleaning Steps
- Cotton balls or cloth (lint-free)
- Spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Isopropyl alcohol or white vinegar
- 1You should check your monitor or Laptop manual first to see if the manufacturer has any special instructions or warnings.
- 2Make sure your monitor is turned off then wipe it with a dry cotton ball or clothed to remove the dust.
- 3Combine around 50 percent water and 50 percent isopropyl alcohol or white vinegar in your bottle spray.
- 4Spray it on the cloth or cotton ball and not on the screen.
- 5Gently wipe it on your screen (using circular motion) and enjoy your clean screen.
- 6This can damage it.Do not put much force into the screen when cleaning it.
Cleaning with Water Only
- 1Just be sure to make use of distilled water.If you run out of white vinegar, you can just go ahead and continue cleaning your monitor with water only.
- 2Moisten the cloth (lint-free, fiber-free) with water.
- 3Dampen your cloth and clean your screen with a constant circular motion.
- 4Do this until you are satisfied that all the dust and prints are gone.
Some Useful Tips When Cleaning the Screen
- 1It leaves marks on the surface like dissolved salts. Use distilled water instead.DO NOT use mineral water or tap water.
- 2This must not be done when cleaning to avoid dripping. Instead, spray solution on the cleaning cloth.NEVER spray cleaning solutions directly on the screen.
- 3They can scratch your monitor.NEVER use paper towels.
- 4Refrain from using cleaning solutions that contain ammonia, acetone, toluene, methyl chloride, ethyl alcohol and ethyl acid.Be mindful of the solution's contents.
- 5Let the screen dry completely before closing or using it.
- 6Batteries should also be removed.Shut the computer down before cleaning.
Advantages of a Clean Monitor or Laptop Screen
- 1If there are too much fingerprints and dust, there is a likelihood that your screen will glare in an unbalanced way. This is especially distracting if you are working on very important documents or precise applications such as when you are drawing or editing photos.It gets rid of those unnecessary glare that may affect what you are viewing on your screen.
- 2Although having dirt or dust won't destroy your monitor right away, you will notice that letting those linger for a long time may eventually impair the lifespan of your monitor. Also, keep in mind that if you have dust attached to your monitor all the time, the likelihood that it will enter the other parts of your Laptop and make that stuck is also higher.It lengthens the lifespan of your monitor.
- 3This is especially important if you are using your Laptop for important presentations or client meetings. A dirty monitor will speak volumes about your attention to details as well as overall professionalism. Also, keep in mind that the most obvious part of your Laptop is the screen, and so if it's dirty, other people can see it, especially when it's against the glare of the sun. You may want to make sure that you clean it up well before bringing it to any important meetings.It makes your unit look more presentable.
- 4Always remember that a computer monitor is something very close to your face. Therefore, if it's dirty and you sit in front of it for a long time, imagine how much of those dust and dirt you are actually able to inhale. In the long run, this may be the reason why you are having those unexplained allergy bouts.It protects you from inhaling dust in front of your face.
Categories : Hardware
Recent edits by: Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando, Maria Quinney