Write a Letter of Sympathy
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Graeme, Alma and 1 other
Letter of sympathy is paying a respect to the reader of the letter. This can be that the reader lost a loved one. In this kind of letter a cheery letter is not appropriate like for example those humorous letter. To pay a respect your letter must come from the heart, should be very warm and sincere. You need to have a feeling of empathy and consideration. You do not need to write a very long letter in fact this should be short and usually written in a card and sometimes includes flowers and other types or presents appropriate for the occasion.
When you write the letter, make sure that you do not add more burdens to the reader, you just simply sympathize, you can offer to help or support. You should not use the word death, died or killed as to some this is unacceptable and not appropriate.
How to Write
- 1like for example Mitch, Professor Longbottom, your manager or your brother.Name the person to whom the letter is to be addressed or to whom you want to express your sympathy:
- 2for example, our friend at the organization, my friend from many years, or all of us here.Provide your relationship with the person receiving the letter:
- 3for example, he/she was loved by everyone, he/she was a good friend, he/she was always helpful, or we spent many good times together.Add a complimentary statement:
- 4If you can or appropriate offer a help to the receiver of the letter.
Sample List of Appropriate Sentences
- We know that memories will keep your lost one stay with you always.
- May our sympathy help to comfort you.
- May you find comfort knowing that we are here.
- We wish to express our deepest sympathy.
Dear Mrs. Jennings,
I cannot convey how deeply I feel about the untimely passing of Ms Jennings.
What started many years ago was a working relationship between Marie and me and quickly became a warm friendship. It was a privilege to have known her. I will remember her kindness and thoughtfulness warmly.
With great sorrow, I ask to share your loss and to extend my heartfelt sympathy.
If there is anything at all I can do to help you, please let me know.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Writing
Recent edits by: Alma, Graeme, Charmed