Work Around 'Not Enough Memory' Problem During iOS Update
Edited by Sean Zylow, Eng
During a wireless iOS update, you might see a message that says the update can't be installed because it needs more space than you have on your device. If you see this message, there are a few ways you can update your device:
- Plug your device into your computer and update using iTunes.
- Manually remove content from your device and try to update again.
UPDATE USING iTunes
To download the latest version of iOS using iTunes, follow these steps:
- 1Install the latest version of iTunes here on your computer.Advertisement
- 2Plug your device into your computer.Advertisement
- 3In iTunes, select your device.
- 4In the Summary pane, click Check for Update.
- 5Click Download and Update.
If you see a different alert message during an update, learn how to resolve it.
DELETE CONTENT MANUALLY
If there isn't enough space to download and install an update, iOS 9 tries to make more space. It temporarily removes some downloadable parts of installed apps. You shouldn't need to remove or relocate any content. But in some cases, it's necessary to manually delete some content.
In the Usage Settings menu, you can see how much space your apps use and delete the ones you don't need. You can always re-download your purchased apps or other content later. Follow these steps:
- 1Tap Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.Advertisement
- 2Select any app to see how much space it uses, and tap Delete App to remove it. Some apps, such as Music and Videos, let you delete parts of their documents and data.
- 3Install the iOS update again. Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
You can also reduce the size of your Photo Library by turning on iCloud Photo Library and Optimizing your device storage. Learn more about app storage space and content.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : IPhone
Recent edits by: Sean Zylow