Watch and Enjoy Bollywood Movies
Edited by Danish Qureshi, Eng, Lynn, Julia Moliere and 2 others
Bollywood is the Indian counterpart of Hollywood, which arose when film came to India in the early 20th century. Despite being in Hindi, Bollywood movies are becoming popular the world over. Film students and enthusiasts can learn some valuable points from Bollywood movies, so watch an Indian movie this weekend just for a change of pace. Warning! Beware of titillating content when watching with your kids. Maybe save the move for after their bedtime.
Tips for Watching a Bollywood Movie for the First Time
- 1First you need to get the Indian movie!
- Bollywood movies are available on CD's, DVD's or by downloading from the internet.
- Streaming services like Netflix and Hulu occasionally have a small selection of Bollywood movies.
- 2Be ethnic. In India, samosas are more common than popcorn. Make a lot of samosas. Indian movies are lengthy, so brace yourself for sitting for at least two to three hours before a TV or computer screen.Make a lot of samosas.
- 3Movies are also available with English subtitles.
The Content and Subjects of Bollywood Movies
- 1Bollywood flicks are quite a bit different from Hollywood movies. Tragedy, humor, and romance are usually all rolled into one. In the West, a movie generally receives one category, even though there may be a mix of genres. Sometimes, in Western film, the primary emphasis of each film is to fit into one category. Bollywood films mixes everything into one fabulous genre.Appreciate the difference between Indian and Western movies.
- 2Indian cinema incorporates elements from classical Sanskrit theater. Classical Indian theater uses dance, music and dialogues to narrate religious stories, and Bollywood films are full of these as well.Don't get distracted by abrupt choreographed songs.
- 3The majority of Indians are Hindus and Muslims. Stories primarily deal these two groups. Some stories may incorporate Christian, Sikh, or Buddhist themes, as these communities also exist in India. If this culture is new to you, embrace it. In this world, we all need to celebrate our differences, and learn from each other.Embrace the cultural difference.
- 4Indian movies, all the basic emotions must be present, e.g., mirth, sadness, surprise, peace, hatred, etc., called Navarasa (nine emotions) in Sanskrit. In fact, Indian movies could be called a separate genre with subgenres, e.g., horror, romantic, mystery, musical, sci-fi etc.Navarasa.
- 5Film students and enthusiasts may learn something valuable they can incorporate in their future projects
- 6A.R Rahman, a famous Bollywood music composer, won an Oscar for best original score for, "Slumdog Millionaire."Bollywood movies are rich in music.
- 7E.g., Hero meets the heroine in one scene and falls in love. This scene may be followed by a song with hero and heroine, with extras dancing choreographed into the number.Songs are a creative storytelling device to connect different scenes and situations in a movie.
Some Recommended Must-See Bollywood Movies:
- 3 Idiots (2009)
- Sholay (1975)
- Like Stars on Earth (2007)
- Barfi! (2012)
- Munnabhai M.B.B.S. (2003)
- Mother India (1957)
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
- Black (2005)
- Mughal-E-Azam (1960)
- Deewaar (1975)
- Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
- Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959)
- Awaara (1951)
- Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988)
- Zanjeer (1973)
- Agneepath (1990)
- Yaadon Ki Baaraat (1973)
- Warning! If you plan to watch Indian movies along with your family (kids) then keep a remote control in your hands. With rising commercialism, explicit and sometimes downright pornographic content is now being used to attract viewers, and these may not be appropriate for children. Better to wait until they're tucked in to their beds.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Entertainment
Recent edits by: Yuliya, Julia Moliere, Lynn