Virtual Makeover iOS Apps ModiFace Virtual Makeover vs Makeup Genius vs YouCam Makeup ... and 3 more
Edited by Jasmin, Maria Quinney, Eng
Have you ever eagerly invested in a new makeup product only to find it was the wrong shade for you eyes, the wrong tone for your skin, or just wrong all together? Ever thrown caution to the wind and your hair cut and colored, only to realize you've made a big mistake? If I had to guess, I'd bet there are plenty of us out there who have shared these unfortunate experiences. It may not be the end of the world (new makeup can be purchased and hair will eventually grow back and out) but if these things were preventable, wouldn't that be ideal?
Luckily, with virtual makeover apps for iPhone, you can try before you buy, saving yourself both money and potential embarrassment. Below you'll find 6 apps that allow you to try out new makeup looks, hairstyles and colors, and even a couple for testing out nail polish. There's no longer a need to leave these (sometimes expensive) decisions up to chance with the help of these simple (and sometimes free) apps. Even if you're just looking for a new way to kill time or have fun with friends, these apps have got you covered.
Method 1: ModiFace Virtual Makeover
- 1With ModiFace you can create your own look or choose styles from your favorite celebrities to try on.How it Works.
- 2Free, but with several optional in-app purchases for add-ons like different makeup and hair colors, false eyelashes, or teeth whitening.Pricing/Upgrades.
- When creating your own look there are over 2000 makeup products and 40 hairstyles to choose from. These products and styles are regularly updated.
- Makeup includes eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, lip liner, blush, bronzer, and much more.
- Uses shade matching technology for realistic depiction of skin textures and different shine/glow intensities.
- Uses facial recognition for accurate face mapping.
- Save your preferred photo as a "model" for a quick start every time you use the app.
- Remove blemishes, smooth wrinkles, and brighten up dark spots.
- In addition to hair and makeup styles you can also try on a handful of accessories like sunglasses and earrings.
- Test out minor anti-aging treatments.
- Use colored contacts to change eye color.
- Use the simple eraser tool to correct mistakes or reverse decisions.
- Save your favorite looks for future reference.
- Supports photo uploads from Facebook.
- Integrated with Twitter and Instagram, and supports photo sharing with your email.
- Works completely offline.
- Hairstyles and colors are limited in the free version.
- 5ModiFace is a great virtual makeover app that also doubles as photo-editing software. Download here.Verdict.
Method 2: Makeup Genius
- 1Created by L'Oreal, the Makeup Genius app works like a virtual mirror allowing you to try on new looks that move with you in real time.How it Works.
- No need to upload photos as the app works more like a video, allowing you to view your looks from different angles or even see how a lipstick looks while you're smiling.
- Get tips and recommendations from L'Oreal personnel directly in-app.
- Browse through a library of looks and color guides from expert designers, or blaze your own trail.
- Tutorials are provided to help you get the knack for a new technique.
- Seamless transitions from one look to another allow you to try several styles in seconds.
- Use the before and after tool to see the difference from your makeover.
- Save your favorite looks and share them with friends on social media.
- Scan products while in-store to try them on right away.
- All products are one click away from purchase so you never have to leave a new favorite behind.
- Read product reviews.
- As you might expect, the makeup choices here are limited to the L'Oreal brand.
- 5The Makeup Genius app is fun for anyone wanting to discover new looks but is especially useful to those who use L'Oreal brand makeup. The product catalog is quite extensive and color matching with other brands wouldn't be too difficult. Download here.Verdict.
Method 3: YouCam Makeup
- 1With YouCam you have the option of giving your selfies a makeover or trying on new products in real time.How it Works.
- Captures roughly 100 different points on your face in less than 2 seconds.
- Try new makeup looks from eye shadow and eyeliner, to blush, to lip gloss and lipstick.
- Try new hair styles from curly to straight and short to long, and a variety of colors with the realistic dying tool.
- Trim or color your existing eyebrows, or use the eyebrow changer tool to test out new shapes and contours.
- Join the Beauty Circle social network, where you can share looks or browse through other user's looks for inspiration. You can also shop for and review products, and follow beauty experts for news on the latest trends.
- Buy your favorite new products directly in-app.
- Find tutorials from beauty experts or other app users.
- Take photos of completed makeovers or make a short video mash-up of a few different styles.
- Sends daily horoscopes and personalized beauty tips.
- Also works as a photo-editor with abilities to remove blemishes, enhance facial contours, smooth wrinkles and discolorations, remove shine, alter skin tone, and whiten teeth.
- The app is littered with ads and to have them removed requires an in-app purchase.
Method 4: ModiFace Hair Color
- 1Using an automatic hair detection technology, the ModiFace Hair Color app allows you to try out new hair colors in seconds.How it Works.
- 2Free, with an optional in-app purchase to remove ads and get access to more hair colors for $1.99. This review focuses on the upgraded version.Pricing/Upgrades.
- The hair detection technology makes it easy to create an accurate outline of your hair. You won't experience the typical gaps between your hairline and face like on many other apps.
- Use the before and after tool to compare your current and new colors.
- Provides more than just the basic hair colors; try anything from blue to pink or even green.
- Complete your look with an optional accessory.
- Save completed photos to bring to your hair stylist.
- Share photos of your new look on social media.
- Hair salons can get their own customized apps that offer advanced visualization and product integration.
- The app is strictly for testing out hair colors, so you cannot try different styles.
- Constant flow of ads for additional in-app purchases.
- 5ModiFace Hair Color is a great app for people starting to test out different looks. Since hair color can be tricky (your base color will always impact the outcome) it will be best to consult with your hair stylist before deciding a specific color. However, the app is a good way to get a feel for what you'll like. Download here.Verdict.
Method 5: ManiMatch
- 1With the ManiMatch app you can try on hundreds of nail polish shades in real time; no need to upload a photo.How it Works.
- Provides personalized shade recommendations based on your skin tone.
- Browse through over 200 available shades and filter your search based on polish types such as a gel or quick dry.
- Scan polishes while in-store to try on instantly.
- Save photos of your favorite shades and share to Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter or Email it to yourself for future reference.
- Purchase your new favorite shade directly in-app.
- Read reviews on different types of polish.
- As the name suggests, the polish shades are limited to the Sally Hansen brand.
- You need to keep your hand quite still and place it on a neutral background so the colors don't move around.
- 5Like with the L'Oreal app, ManiMatch is great for people who use the Sally Hansen brand. Since people tend to switch up their nail polish brands far more readily than makeup though, ManiMatch is a fun choice for anyone just looking to find their next great color. Download here.Verdict.
Method 6: Virtual Nail Salon Premium
- 1With the Virtual Nail Salon app, you can give yourself a manicure or pedicure by simply uploading a photo.How it Works.
- 2Requires a one-time purchase of $2.99. Note: there is a free version of this app but the features are limited.Pricing/Upgrades.
- Try out simple shades, get fancy with patterns or add decorative stickers and jewels.
- Uses nail boundary auto detection for an accurate representation of your nails.
- Provides a handful of different nail polish brands to try including Sally Girl, ORLY, and NYX.
- Customize your nail art designs by uploading a photo or drawing the design you're looking for.
- Save your favorite shades or art to bring to your next nail appointment.
- Upload a photo of literally anything and use the color match technology to find a shade of polish in that color.
- Each polish has a link to where it can be purchased online.
- Accessorize your manicure with the ring try-on feature.
- Only 100 polish shades available.
- 5This is yet another app by ModiFace; they really seem to have a corner of the virtual makeover app market. They make great apps and this is yet another one that sets itself apart. While it is one of the few nail try-on apps that you need to pay for, it's also one of the only ones with nail art features and color matching technology. Download here.Verdict.