Use your Windows Phone 8 device as a WiFi Hotspot
Edited by Batkingnz, Lynn, estrella sacragon, sheryl hernandez and 6 others
As with many Smartphones today; Windows Phone 8 devices are able to create a WiFi hotspot to share your mobile data connection.
In many cases when traveling, this will be a feature that you will want to use often. It's convenient and it's actually not that expensive. In addition, this can be helpful when you're away from your home or office and you want to get online with your Laptop, Tablet or other device.
Follow the instructions below to get up and running in just a few swipes and button presses.
- 1From the menu, select "Settings", and then "Cellular" and ensure that your data connection is set to on.
- 2Set internet sharing to on. You will see here a broadcast name and a password. These are unique and are generated on your initial phone setup. It's a good idea to change these to something more familiar. You can do this by pressing "Setup".Go back to the settings menu and choose internet sharing.
- 3Confirm the settings by ticking in the tick box, and you can now enjoy your data connection through your own WiFi hotspot. Remember that you will need to know the broadcast name and password to connect from another device.Once you have chosen a name and password you're done!
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- "Connection not shared". If you see this message, just follow Step 1 to ensure that your data connection is on.
- Compatibility. Without getting too technical, internet sharing uses a type of "ad-hoc" WiFi network. Some devices will not be able to connect to this type of network.
How to Protect Your WiFi Hotspot
- 1This is especially the case if you intend to use your WiFi hotspot in public places such as cafes, airports, hotel lobbies, malls, and the like. If you are using very generic passwords, the people around you can easily guess and they can immediately hook up into your hotspot. Not only will this slow down your connection, it may also pose some threat to your security, especially if hackers manage to invade into your network.Create a strong password.
Questions and Answers
I am using Windows 8 on my laptop and can not create a hotspot?
A week ago my hotspot was working just fine, and now I can not make it. I think I somehow switched those drivers off and now I can not figure it out. Please help me out.
Update or enable your WiFi drivers.
- 1Find the support section and download WiFi drivers for your specific laptop model. You may need to unpack the drivers to a folder.Go to the web site of the manufacturer of your laptop.
- 2Press "Enter".Press the Windows key and type "device manager".
- 3It can be in "Network adapters".Locate your WiFi device on the list by expanding menu items.
- 4Right-click the device.
- 5Select "Enable" if the device was disabled.
- 6Select "Update Driver Software".
- 7Otherwise, click "Browse my computer for driver software" and indicate the folder where you have unpacked drivers from step 1.Click "Search automatically for updated driver software" if you did not download any drivers.
Enable the Internet sharing, if available.
- 1Press the Windows key.
- 2Press "Enter'.Type "view network connections".
- 3Right-click the network that provides the Internet to your computer.
- 4Click "Properties".
- 5Click the "Sharing" tab.
- 6Enable "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
Start the network.
- 1Press the Windows key.
- 2Press "Enter".Type "cmd".
- 3In Command Prompt, type "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=VisiHow1 key=VisiHow".
- 4Type "netsh wlan start hostednetwork".
- 5Launch it. Enter the name of the network and its password. Select the shared correction network with the Internet connection from the drop-down menu. Start the router by clicking the "Start Virtual Router" button.The other method of steps 1-4 is to download Virtual Router.