Use Sixaxis Controller App
Edited by Lukward Thomason, Eng, Nuance, DeleteQnA
Dancing Pixel Studios have created an app that allows you to pair your PS3 sixaxis or dualshock 3 controller to your Android Phone or tablet. This method is very useful when playing with emulators, since old school games had button controls that allowed the player was supposed to feel and react with. Modern touchscreens can't emulate the button press precision, making high-scores much harder to achieve. Once you have your controller hooked up to your Android device, you can see those high scores climb higher and higher again!
Please note that in order to properly run this app you need to have your device rooted.
We are going to discuss what this app does and how it works. For the purposes of this article, we will be using a rooted Huawei G700 that runs on Android 4.2.1.
Becoming Familiar With The Layout
- 1Once you launch the app, you'll see several buttons.Advertisement
- Start button starts listening for controllers to hook up to.
- Stop button stops listening to connected controllers
- Change IME button allows you to enable and choose input methods. For best results you should enable and choose Sixaxis Controller when using this app.
- Pair enables you to manually pair your phone with the controller connected via OTG cable.
- 5This part is very important for some games.Gamepad Settings.
- You'll have to Enable Gamepad in order for some games to detect your controller as an input device, but it's not recommended for all games and emulators.
- Analog Poll Rate determines the frequency the analog inputs are registered in. You should experiment for each game separately to find the right one.
- Edit Mappings allows you to set what input each button will register for any button that is pressed.
- 6Keyboard Emulation allows you to trick your device - as if you are using a keyboard as an input.
- Default Input Method lets you choose which input method to use once sixaxis input is stopped. This feature allows you to save time from switching to input method selection and choosing it manually every time you disconnect your controller or get an urgent email or SMS that you have to answer.
- Bypass IME. This feature should be used only if the keyboard input doesn't work by default.
- Key Mappings lets you select which key on the keyboard is used for which controller button.
- Analog Threshold should be adjusted to your preference. This is used to determine how far you need to pull your analog stick from the center to input various commands.
- 7Mouse Emulation lets you use your controller as an optical mouse.
- Toggle Mouse Mode lets you choose a button on your controller for turning the mouse mode on/off.
- Analog Stick should be chosen. Pick the one you are most comfortable with using as a mouse pointer.
- Left and Right mouse buttons should also be set to your preference.
- Mouse Speed can be customized to your preference.
- 8When this feature is set up correctly, you will be able to play any game as you would on your console.Touch Emulation is the most important part of this app since a lot of modern games lack native gamepad support.
- Orientation Offset can be set and changed if your input doesn't match what you expected after setting all buttons and sticks manually.
- Edit Touch Profiles lets you set any button or stick so that you can emulate screen touch or swipe as you desire. This part is the most important!
- 9Manage and toggle profiles.Once you choose Application Profiles you'll see two options:
- Manage Profiles lets you create, delete or rename profiles. You can create multiple profiles that are best for each game so that you don't have to set it all up every time you change your game.
- Toggle Profiles lets you sweep between profiles during your game play. It's very convenient for those games that use more buttons than there are on your gamepad.
Creating the Touch Layout Profile
Tips and Suggestions for Using Sixaxis App
- Some games will only work with the gamepad feature enabled, while others will only work with the gamepad feature disabled.
- Keep in mind that this app increases battery power consumption when turned on.
- Note that while a gamepad is connected, you won't be able to use Bluetooth for file transfer.
- Always tap "Stop" in the main frame of the app when not using the app or the controller. This will conserve power for both the device and the controller, and it won't keep running in the background.
Questions and Answers
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Nuance, Eng, Lukward Thomason