Use Overview Selection in Android Pie
Edited by Jay
One highly useful new feature is the ability to select both text and images while viewing your recent apps in overview mode. This is great for copying a line or block of text from apps that don't allow it. Also, when you need to grab an address or phone number displayed in an open app, you can do so without having to maximize it. Sharing images via overview mode will help cut down on navigating between open applications, keeping your mobile experience smooth and snappy.
In the following guide, we used a Google Pixel running Android 9.
***Please Note*** Overview selection is currently only available on Google Pixel devices.
Use Overview Selection to Copy, Search, and Share Text on Android Pie
- Copy: This will copy the selectd text to your device's clipboard.
- Search: Tap this and Google will perform a search on the text selected.
- Share: This will launch your sharing options.
Use Overview Selection to Save or Share an Image
- Lens: Tap to use Google's own image recognition tool.
- Share: Will display your device's sharing options, such as social accounts, messaging apps, email apps, etc.