Use Organic Pest Control in Your Garden
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Lynn, Pat Stets and 2 others
Keeping a garden pest-free without using pesticides seems like a difficult task. This is especially true if you have limited experience in organic gardening. The problem is that there are so many different pests out there, yet there are many all-natural ways to keep your veggies and flowers and even your fruits pest-free.
Use tried and tested methods of organic gardening and all natural pest control, you can grow your garden pest free and free of harsh pesticides. With a little extra attention, you can create organic pest control that really works for you and makes the world a healthier place to live. Green gardening methods work - and save money too.
How to Use Organic Pest Control for Your Garden
- 1Planting specific kinds of plants next to each other is an excellent organic pest control method. Some weeds will either attract or repel the insects, keeping your veggies safe from harm. Basil and other herbs that have a strong scent are the perfect companion plants. Chamomile attracts beneficial insects that kill pests in the garden. Radishes deter cucumber beetles. Marigold plants contain pyrethrin, which is a natural pest control agent used to control ear mites in our pets. These are also capable of repelling different kinds of pests.Companion Planting.Advertisement
- 2Attracting beneficial insects to the garden is another organic pest control method. Most insects can help a gardener, instead of harming the plants. Rely on beneficial insects to keep your garden pest-free. Ladybugs kill aphids. The praying mantis is another insect that will help you control the pest population in your garden. You should also try to attract spiders because they feed on various kinds of insects. To bring spiders to your garden, start adding mulch early in the spring. Mulch provides spiders with the right living conditions and they will soon settle in the garden permanently.Beneficial Insects.Advertisement
- 3Coffee is a natural pesticide because many insects will stay away from its strong scent. Slugs are the ones that hate it the most. The easiest method of doing organic pest control involves adding coffee grounds to the garden beds. Apart from keeping insects away, coffee will also enrich the soil by adding nitrogen to it.Coffee Grounds.
- 4The final option in terms of organic pest control is hand picking the harmful insects or trapping them. You can then set them free away from the garden. Hand picking can be very time consuming. People who have a stressful job, however, report that it has some therapeutic and soothing effects. Additionally, this is one of the most efficient pest control methods.Hand Picking and Trapping.
- 5The idea is the same but you will not have to do manual removal of each insect.There are many pest traps that are being sold in garden centers or you can rely on online tutorials to create your own.
Why Use Natural Pest Control in Your Garden?
Natural pest control is even more effective than the use of pesticides. Just pick the method that you like the most and start implementing it today to enjoy healthy and all-natural veggies.
Questions and Answers
How to rid my cucumbers of pests, organically?
Yellow, larva-like doodle bugs are devouring the leaves of my cucumber plants. How do I get rid of them without poisoning my cucumbers?
There are a number of organic bug killers that you can buy and use on your plants without causing them any harm. One of the best, made specifically for plant-eating pests, is called Monterey Bt. This will not harm your plants, nor will it hurt any humans or animals -- it will just get rid of the bugs that are eating your plants.