Use Google Translate Offline on Android
Edited by Jay
Google Translate is a fantastic tool for users who need to communicate with people who speak a different language than their own. It's also handy for understanding different forms of text when visiting countries where the native language is one you don't understand. Being able to read signs and various instructions that are written in a different language with your mobile device can prove to be extremely helpful.
A great additional feature of Google Translate is the app's ability to function while your device is offline. If you're on vacation and end up without data or a reliable WiFi connection, having the local languages downloaded in advance can be a lifesaver. When visiting different countries, you never really know when your device could lose its signal. Being able to communicate with people, as well as being able to understand the various signs and written text in your surroundings is vital in ensuring a safe and memorable trip.
In this VisiHow tutorial, we're going to walk through the steps of downloading languages in Google Translate, in addition to using the app offline. For this article, we used a Google Pixel running Android 8.1.0.
Install Google Translate on Android
- 6Tap the drop-down arrows next to each language to make your selection, place a checkmark next to "Translate offline" (to download the language you translate most often), then tap "DONE".The first thing Google Translate requires is for you to select your primary languages, as well as the language you intend to translate the most.
Download Google Translate Languages
- 2At the top of the screen is the Recent languages section and will display languages that have been downloaded recently.Under the list of All languages, any language with a download icon to the right of it can be downloaded for offline use.
- 5At the top of the screen under "Downloaded languages", you can see every language that is currently available for use offline.On the Offline translation screen, any language under the "Available languages" section with a download icon next to can be used offline.
Using Google Translate While Offline
- 1The languages you downloaded in the previous section will be the only ones available to use.Select the languages you wish to use now that your device is offline.
Delete Downloaded Languages
- 4When the confirmation pop-up appears, tap "REMOVE".Then, under Recent languages, tap the checkmark icon next to the language you wish to delete.