Use Ginger As a Natural Analgesic
Edited by Ermin, Eng, Lynn, Ginger17 and 1 other
Looking for a pain reliever that doesn't cause adverse effects? If so, you may want to try some herbal medicines, which have been used for thousands of years already since ancient times. Ginger is one of the effective herbs that can heal almost all kinds of ailments, because of its active components such as gingerols and shogaols. These are important components in reducing inflammation in the body. In addition, it also has analgesic compounds that can soothe muscle pains.
How effective is ginger as a natural analgesic?
Christopher Black, PhD, and other co-workers at the University of Georgia conducted an experiment on the efficacy of ginger as analgesic agent. They had volunteers as subjects to the experiment. They were placed into three groups, and one was given heated ginger, the second was given raw ginger, and the third was given a placebo, respectively, while they were assigned to do exercises for 11 consecutive days. At first, the researchers thought that heated ginger would be more effective than the raw ginger. However, the result showed that both raw ginger and heated ginger contributed a lot to reducing the level of muscle strains about 23-25 percent. Placebo is regarded as inefficient treatment for muscle pains, and ginger is a lot more effective.
So, if ever you may experience this condition, you may try taking ginger instead of aspirin or other pain reliever medications. Here's how you can make ginger iced tea and drink it whenever you feel muscle strains:
- 1Juice extracted from two lemonsAdvertisement
- 2One pound of fresh raw gingerAdvertisement
- 3Two quarts of water
- 4Honey to taste
- 1Peel the raw ginger and grate it.
Other benefits of ginger
- 1Relieves digestive problems like stomachache, ulcers, and even diarrhea.
- 2It will also reduce inflammation in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.Reduces inflammation in the body, like from allergic rhinitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, and other types of respiratory issues.
- 3Reduces nausea and headache from motion sickness, pregnancy, and post-surgery.
- 4Ginger has minerals and vitamins like vitamin C, which is one of the important nutrients for the body.Boosts immune system.
- 5Diabetes-related stomach problems can be reduced by taking ginger.Reduces sugar level of type 2 diabetes in some people.
- 6Loss of appetite can be a serious problem because, more often than not, people who may have this condition are likely to experience depression. Give them ginger to increase their appetite.Increases appetite.
- 7Intestinal gas is quite bothersome, especially if you also have bloating stomach at the same time. Ginger can soothe this problem.Soothes flatulence.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Ginger is typically safe to take, but there were times that some people had experienced some negative side effects. This is, however, due to too much intake of the herb. Take note that you should only take a small amount or dose of ginger daily to get what you need for your body.
- As a rule of thumb, ginger should not be given to children under the age of 2. Children over 2 years old may take ginger as advised by your doctor. They should take the right dose of ginger as well.
- Ginger has been proven effective in reducing nausea in pregnant women. However, it may also cause miscarriage if taken too much.
Questions and Answers
Hi, Ermin! How much ginger can/should you take in organic powder form?
How much ginger can/should you take in organic powder form?
You can take 4 grams of ginger powder daily. Greater dosages may upset your stomach. It is best if you split the daily dosage into smaller doses throughout the day. For heavy exercises, 2 grams are enough per day. You can take 2 grams 20 minutes prior to working out. When being on period, take 1 gram daily, split into four dosages. For nausea, take 2 grams daily. Reduce the dosage to 1 gram if you feel weak.