Use Emoji on Samsung Galaxy S3 Access Emoji on Samsung Galaxy S3 (Marshmallow) vs (Lollipop)
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Reema, Eng, Kirk and 25 others
Whether you've traded your iPhone for an Android device, already have a Samsung Galaxy S3, or just picked up a new Galaxy S5, this article is for you. We will show you how to access the built-in emoji keyboard. Since Android 4.2, Samsung Galaxy users have been able to enjoy emoji without having to install any third party apps. In this article, we will show you how to access the emoji keyboard on Jelly Bean, Kitkat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow.
Method 1: Access Emoji on Samsung Galaxy S3 (Marshmallow)
Method 2: Access Emoji on Samsung Galaxy S3 (Lollipop)
- 1 What You'll Need to Install Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
- 2 An Overview of Installing Handcent SMS
- 3 How to Install Handcent SMS on Your Samsung
- 4 How to Install the Emoji Pack for Handcent SMS
- 5 How to Use Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
- 6 How to Use Emoji on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- 7 How to Find Links for Downloading Emoji Fonts
- 8 How to Get More Emoji Apps for Your Samsung Galaxy
- 9 How to Install Emoji Keyboard on the Samsung Galaxy S3
- 10 How to Enable Your Emoji Keyboard:
- 11 How to Use Your Samsung Emoji Keyboard
- 12 How to Replace Fonts on Your Galaxy S3
- 13 How to Enable Emoji on Samsung S3 with Chomp SMS
- 14 How to Enable Emoji on Your Galaxy S3 Stock Keyboard
- 15 How to Enable an Emoji Keyboard on Android 4.2 or Higher
- 16 Tips for Using Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy S3
- 17 Questions and Answers About Emoji on the Galaxy S3
- 17.1 How to enable Emoji fonts on your Samsung Galaxy
- 17.2 How come it worked on Twitter but not on Facebook?
- 17.3 How to get Emoji on Twitter and Facebook?
- 17.4 How to make Handcent Emoji plugin work on Samsung S3?
- 17.5 How to disable the Samsung built-in messaging app after installing Handcent SMS?
- 17.6 How to get Emoji to work on Galaxy S3?
- 17.7 How many characters Can a Galaxy S3 send in a text?
- 17.8 How to get Emoji for a Samsung device with built-in messaging?
- 17.9 There are no Emoji icons after I've installed Chomp SMS.
- 17.10 How to post a thumbs up symbol?
- 17.11 How to stop Handcent from talking?
- 17.12 SMS inserts an ugly "Emoji" icon when forwarding texts?
- 17.13 How to install ugly Emoji?
- 17.14 I have been charged 35p per emoji?
- 17.15 I have Emoji on my S3 but when I type a smiley it just shows a box. What am I doing wrong?
- 17.16 I am not seeing the Emoji Keyboard in the Language and Keyboard Settings.
- 17.17 How to solve possible issues when installing Emoji for Facebook?
- 17.18 Why didn't Samsung include Emoji Natively on their phones?
- 17.19 Will Emoji sent via the Samsung show up properly on Apple iOS based devices like the iPhone?
- 17.20 How to get the thumbs up on my Samsung Messenger - using an S4?
- 17.21 I'm annoyed because I can't have emoji like everyone else?
- 18 Comments
What You'll Need to Install Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
You'll need the following to install an Emoji keyboard on your Samsung device.
Note that using these methods and some others we've added to this guide will let you have access to Emoji. You'll even be able to use them on popular social media platforms, like Facebook, Instagram, Google+, and Twitter. Read on for the details, and if you have any questions, let us know.
- 1What You Need to Install the Handcent SMS App
- Internet Access
- The Free Handcent SMS App
- The Free Handcent Emoji Plugin
- 2What You Need to Install the Chomp SMS App
- Internet Access
- The Free Chomp SMS App
- 3What You Need to Install a Native Emoji Keyboard
- Internet Access
- Root Access to Your Device
- The Free ES File Explorer App
- The Free DroidSansFallback.ttf and fallback_fonts.xml files
An Overview of Installing Handcent SMS
One of the easiest solutions to installing Emoji SMS on your Samsung phone is the Handcent SMS App.
We have no affiliation with this app or its author, other than our own use of it on our phones. This VisiHow article also includes other alternatives for those who prefer another App, but we recommend trying Handcent first. If you don't like it, you can choose from any of the other Apps listed here, including getting more technical and installing Emoji keyboards and fonts manually.
Please Note: Continuously Running Handcent SMS consumes some of your battery life
Although installing Handcent with the SMS pack is an easy solution, it also takes a small toll on your battery life and a little CPU. This is necessary for it to be able to watch for incoming SMS texts. While this tends to run the battery down a little more than normal, it is worth the trade-off if you're wanting to see or receive Emoji characters often.
How to Install Handcent SMS on Your Samsung
- 1Go to the "Home" menu.
- 2Tap on the Application drawer.
- 3Look for the "Play Store" app icon on your application drawer.
- 4Tap on the "Search" button and input the keywords "Handcent SMS".
- 5A list of results should show; tap on the first one, "Handcent SMS".
- 6Tap on "Install".
- 7Wait until the application is completely downloaded.
- 8When the installation is complete, go back to your application drawer, and you'll see the icon of "Handcent SMS".
- 9Set Handcent SMS as your default SMS application.
- Open "Settings".
- Open "Language and input".
- Select "Handcent".
- Tap the "Default Keyboard" option.
- Select the "Handcent Emoji Keyboard".
- Tap "OK" or "Done".
How to Install the Emoji Pack for Handcent SMS
You will also need to install the Emoji pack for Handcent SMS. Here are the instructions:
- 1Go to your "Home" menu.
- 2Tap on the application drawer.
- 3Look for the "Play Store App" icon on your Application drawer.
- 4Tap on the "Search" button and input the keywords "Handcent Emoji Plugin".
- 5A list of results should show; tap on the first one, "Handcent Emoji Plugin".
- 6Tap on "Install".
- 7Wait until the application is completely downloaded.
- 8After downloading, the "Handcent Emoji Plugin", the add-on pack should automatically install and be incorporated into "Handcent SMS".
How to Use Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
- 1Go to your phone's Home menu.
- 2Tap on the application drawer.
- 3Look for the "Handcent SMS" icon on your application drawer.
- 4Tap on it and the application should open.
- 8Tap on "Insert Smiley".
- 9You will be shown three options:
- Standard Smileys
- 10Tap on "Emoji".
- 11You should now see this list of Emoji icons available for you to use.
How to Use Emoji on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
So now you may be excited to have Emoji on your Samsung Galaxy, but you're still wanting more. If you want to use Emoji (Emoticons) on Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Twitter, or other applications and webpages (in other words, EVERYWHERE, even if those applications or platforms normally don't support Emoji), then follow these instructions.
- 1They're easily found by searching Google. For instance, download the first file from this link.Download two files, named "DroidSansFallback.ttf" and "fallback_fonts.xml" on your Android device.
- 2Though Root Explorer is a better alternative, it costs $3.99 on the Google Play Store at the time of this article. So, if you'd rather go with the free option, we recommend "ES File Explorer".Open the Google Play Store and download the Free "ES File Explorer" App.
- 3Open "ES File Explorer", and enable root explorer by navigating to the settings.
- 4Put the "DroidSansFallback.ttf" and "fallback_fonts.xml" files you downloaded in the first step on your SD card.
- 5Using "ES File Explorer", navigate to the "DroidSansFallback.ttf" file.
- 6Long press the "DroidSansFallback.ttf" file, and choose "Move to".
- 7Go to System > Fonts, and drop the selected file here.
- 8Confirm the move.
- 9Using "ES File Explorer", navigate to the "fallback_fonts.xml" file.
- 10Long press the "fallback_fonts.xml" file, and choose "Move to".
- 11Go to System > Fonts, and drop the selected file here.
- 12Confirm the move.
- 13Reboot your phone.
How to Find Links for Downloading Emoji Fonts
- 3According to Google, there may be a few blank Emoji characters, unless you update your OS to Android 4.1 or higher.
- 4If you have a Galaxy S4, to install the Emoji fonts, you must download them from Coolsymbols S4 Emoji
- 5The title of the fonts is "AndroidEmoji.ttf", and once installed it will be in the Android system in this path "/system/fonts/AndroidEmoji.ttf".
- 6Now you can have fun with text messages using your new Emoji characters and Emoji fonts.
How to Get More Emoji Apps for Your Samsung Galaxy
For more Emoji Apps on your Samsung smartphone, just look below. We've included some other Emoji Apps for your use if you aren't interested in Handcent SMS, or find that it's not suited to your individual needs. Also, we like to educate and instruct on VisiHow. If you didn't already know, the word "Emoji" is actually Japanese, and means "picture letter." That's why it's such a wide-ranging set of icons that represent objects, characters, and emotions. They are similar to the "emoticons" used on many instant messaging clients (e.g. Yahoo Messenger, Skype, etc.), except that they are mostly drawn from Japanese culture. In other words, Emoji is simply the Japanese equivalent of emoticons. Below are some of our top user rated Emoji apps for S3 users. Thanks for your suggestions!
- 1Once installed, simply activate it via "GO SMS Pro settings." Then, choose "Application Setting" followed by "Emoji Encoding Setting." Make sure that your friend's device has the same app. Otherwise, the Emoji won't appear on their messages. (Note: This app will only work if you already have the GO SMS Pro app installed on your S3.)GO SMS Pro Emoji Plugin - Paid App - The best thing about this paid app is you can share the Emoji icons between your Android-enabled mobile and iPhone.
- 2Before you can use this add-on, however, make sure that you have the Chomp SMS v5.17or higher installed on your mobile phone. Once installed, simply use the (+) button in the Chomp SMS application when creating a text message, and then use the [+Add] button in the Quick Reply & Quick Compose option.Chomp SMS Emoji Add-On - Free App - S3 users will definitely enjoy this app, as there are more than 800 available icons from which to choose from.
- 3Add some personality to your text messages, emails, tweets, etc., by sending Emoji icons to your friends. To use this, make sure that you have installed the GO Keyboard 0.3.4 or later version (Search "GO Keyboard" to download) on your device. Enable the Emoji keyboard by going to the GO Keyboard when composing a message. Select "Input language", followed by "Emoji".Go Keyboard Emoji Plug-In - Free App - The GO Keyboard Emoji plug-in is meticulously designed.
How to Install Emoji Keyboard on the Samsung Galaxy S3
The Emoji characters have become very popular in cellphone texts, social networks, and emails over the past couple of years. Alongside the English language keyboard, you can use an Emoji keyboard to easily create adorable Japanese-created icons. It is recommended that you back up your files before following any of these procedures, particularly those that involve root access and modification of your device.
Once you have the Emoji keyboard enabled on your Samsung Galaxy, you'll have these three main features:
- 1You can create Emoji icons with input symbols.
- 2Swipe left to right, and switch from numbers to the alphabet keyboard.
- 3Click on the category that you wish for the next viewing page on your Galaxy S3 screen.
How to Enable Your Emoji Keyboard:
- 1From one of your home screens, go to "Settings".
- 2Select "Language & Keyboard".
- 3Check the Emoji keyboard to enable it.
- 4Use your new Emoji Keyboard.
How to Use Your Samsung Emoji Keyboard
You'll have to modify the keyboard input method.
Use one of the following steps to modify your keyboard input method:
- 1If you have Gingerbread or Android 2.3.x, you can change the input method by:
- First at Text Box, choose the "Input Method".
- Now select the Emoji keyboard from the menu.
- 2If you have Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.0+, you can easily modify the input method:
- Click on any text box.
- Next, tap and scroll down the notification bar to choose "Select Input Method".
- Choose the Emoji keyboard.
How to Replace Fonts on Your Galaxy S3
As you will have already noticed, Android is unable to show the Emoji characters that you have sent on your screen without following the steps provided in this article. To see these Emoji icons and replace the font on your Galaxy S3, follow these six steps:
- 1Note that this means you must wipe out all data, and if your Galaxy is still under warranty, the warranty will be voided by this action. Proceed with caution.You must root the Galaxy.
- 2Backup your "/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf" by Root Explorer of ADB.
- 4Replace the original font at "/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf " as shown in the Root Explorer.
- 5You will see it at the top and on the right side. It will enable write permission at "/system/fonts/".Using Root Explorer, press "Mount R/W".
- 6The final step is to set the file permission for the Emoji font with these codes:
- user = read and write
- group = read
- others = read
- Note: If you have ever updated Font Changer in the past, you must now replace that system font with Emoji Font. This will ensure that all Emoji icons will appear on your screen.
- If you did not root your Galaxy S3, and you enabled the Emoji keyboard, remember that the Emoji emoticons will be sent, but you will not be able to see them on your screen. You still can use the Emoji keyboard with any apps that support Emoji.
How to Enable Emoji on Samsung S3 with Chomp SMS
The Chomp SMS App is a great way to install Emoji on your Galaxy S3.
Emoji icons are a fun way to make your text messages lively for you and others to enjoy.
That said, different users have different levels of technical ability. For example, some users will prefer to have a downloadable install, like the one described below, while others will prefer something more in depth and technical, which we've described a little further down this page.
With that in mind, below are the steps to install Emoji icons on your Samsung Galaxy S3 using the free "Chomp SMS App" from the Google Play Store. The app is easy to install, and will not void or otherwise invalidate the warranty on your Galaxy.
- 1On your Galaxy S3 go to the "Google Play Store".
- 2Find the "Chomp SMS" App.
- 3Download the "Chomp SMS", and installation prompts.
- 4Once Chomp SMS has been installed, go ahead and launch it.
- 5Tap "New Message".
- 6Tap the "+" (Plus Sign), which can be found to the left of the text window on your screen.
- 7Tap any one of the Emoji keys along the bottom of the screen.Emoji "smiley" characters will appear.
- 8A prompt will appear, instructing you to install an add-on titled "Emoji Plugin".
- 9Tap "Download", and choose "Play Store".
- 10Tap "Install", and make sure to "Accept & Download" when it pops up on your screen.
- 11After the "Play Store" App is installed, open the "Chomp SMS" App one more time, and follow the instructions to complete the installation of Emoji characters for text messages on your Galaxy S3.
How to Enable Emoji on Your Galaxy S3 Stock Keyboard
If you are comfortable rooting your GS3, then you can add an Emoji keyboard to the stock keyboard by rooting your device.
You can add Emoji emoticons to your Galaxy S3 by rooting it, but this is a bit more involved, and not without some risk. It will require the installation of the "EX File Explorer" App, and copy a file into your GS3 directory.
WARNING! You will have to root your GS3 for this process to work.
Rooting your Samsung S3 can void your warranty. While people root their devices every day with no trouble, there is always a chance that something can go wrong. Proceed at your own risk.
- 1DroidSansFallback.ttf and fallback_fonts.xml.Once your mobile device is rooted, download and save these files:
- 2Pair your Galaxy with your laptop or PC and copy all the saved files onto an SD card.
- 3Disconnect your device from the PC.
- 4Open the "Play Store" app, and find the "ES File Explorer".
- 5Download and install the "ES File Explorer".
- 6Once the app has installed, launch it.
- 7Go to the DroidSansFallback.ttf file in the directory where you saved it on the SD card and tap the "Move to" option.
- 8Find the directory for "to/system/fonts", and move the "DroidSansFallback.ttf" file there.
- 9Follow the same procedure with your the "fallback_fonts.xml" file that you also saved.
- 10Reboot your Galaxy S3 and wait for it to activate.
- 11Open the "Messaging" application, and you'll see that the Emoji icons have been successfully installed.
How to Enable an Emoji Keyboard on Android 4.2 or Higher
If you're running Android 4.2, Emoji just got a lot easier.
To enable the Emoji keyboard on an Android 4.2, or higher mobile device, you just need to follow a few simple steps.
- 1From your Home screen go to the "Settings" menu.
- 2Tap "Language & Input", which can found under "Personal" on your menu.
- 3Select the iWnn IME input to enable it.
- 4Open your SMS application.
- 5Press and hold the space bar, and on the popup, tap "Emoji Input method" (English Android Standard Keyboard Verified).
- 6Enjoy your new Emoji keyboard and Emoji characters when sending messages.
Tips for Using Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy S3
Helpful Tips for Setting Up Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy S3
When you add applications to your phone, some take very little effort, and others require significantly more. If you decide to perform one of the more in-depth installs we've described, make sure to back up your data first.
- Downloading applications requires an internet connection.
- If you're using the data connection on your phone, you may be charged for downloading these Apps, so be aware of that.
- It's OK if you want to use the ES File Explorer instead of purchasing the preferred Root Explorer from Google Play Store for $3.99.
- When you are modifying your phone, it's important to a back up your important files, contacts, and other information. Following the procedures to use Emoji on Facebook and Instagram is no exception. You should make these modifications completely at your own risk.
Questions and Answers About Emoji on the Galaxy S3
How to enable Emoji fonts on your Samsung Galaxy
This font application is only a font, so there is no user interface.
This means you need to download and install the fonts. Keep in mind that Emoji fonts and keyboards are located in the Google Play Store as free downloads. When you go to the Google Play Store you can simply type in "Emoji Keyboard," which will give you a selection of keyboards to choose from.
To recap, you'll download the application, and visit Settings > Choose Language and Input > Select Default Keyboard. That will let you pick the Emoji Keyboard.
Once you've downloaded and installed them, take the following steps:
- 1Go to the home page.
- 2Scroll to "Settings."
- 3Tap "Display."
- 4That's it.Tap "Font." and select Emoji.
See more questions like this: I have a S3 that runs on 4.3 and I really like colorful Emoji
How come it worked on Twitter but not on Facebook?
My Emoji shows up on Twitter, but not in Facebook.
If the Emoji you want to use works with Twitter, but not in Facebook, or it appears a blank square, you do not have that particular Emoji installed for that platform. Inherently Samsung S3 phones have Emoji but do not support them in all forms of social media or websites. What you have to do is use Apps that are designed for Emoji. These have been discussed earlier in this guide, and include "Handcent SMS", "GO SMS Pro", and others. Some of these apps do not contain all the available Emoji, so you may need to try a few different Apps to get the full set of Emoji you're looking for. Note that you may use the Android (Google) keyboard.
If you want to customize the list of Emoji you can use, then make sure you have both the Google keyboard and another Emoji app. To do that:
- 1Go to Settings > Language and Input > Android Keyboard.
- 2Go to the Settings icon, and then to Personal Dictionary.
- 3Press the + button.
- 4Type the keyword of your desired Emoji and save it.
- 5The next time you use emoji, you type in the keyword and it will be converted into an Emoji.
How to get Emoji on Twitter and Facebook?
If you want your emoji to be applied to both Twitter and Facebook, you'll need to use an Emoji app that works for both.
There are several Apps you can get to do this. "CoolSymbols" is one such App, and the app is also accepting designs of Emoji from users, so if you have an idea for a cool new Emoji, let them know! Also, keep in mind that some Emoji apps work on both Facebook and Twitter, but with only the use of an iPhone or similar iOS device. Other apps, like "Emoji Pro", work on all sorts of phones and computers, including both Twitter and Facebook Some Emoji Apps, however, may work in Safari, but not in Google Chrome.
Another solution to your Emoji characters not working on Facebook could be due to the version of the Facebook App you are using. Understand that Facebook and Twitter are two different applications. Some of the different Twitter and Facebook applications have different support for Emoji characters. You can also try to download another Twitter of Facebook application to see if Emoji works in your new application.
With that in mind, to paste your Emoji into Facebook and Twitter with "CoolSymbols":
- 1Click on the Emoji to select it
- 2Paste into the social media that you like.
How to make Handcent Emoji plugin work on Samsung S3?
We have it working at VisiHow on our S3, and we can help you with your device settings to fix it. The problem you are having is local to your device configuration, and most likely caused by installing the "Handcent SMS" App and supporting Emoji App in the wrong order. In other words, if you installed the Handcent App AFTER installing and activating the Emoji plugin, you might have this problem, but it's easy to fix.
To fix it, just uninstall both "Handcent SMS" and the "Handcent SMS" Emoji plugin. Then reinstall them in the order specified in this wiki (Handcent, then the Emoji plugin)
Keep in mind that you will need to install both "Handcent SMS" and the Emoji plugin on your S3 in order to send the Emoji out in a message. Also, your recipient will need to have the same two apps installed on their phone for them to view the Emoji properly. Users with iPhones won't have this problem, as Emoji fonts are built into iOS. For Android phones, both the sender and receiver will need to have the same Apps installed. You can view a description of Handcent Apps here: Handcent Apps]
How to disable the Samsung built-in messaging app after installing Handcent SMS?
I installed the Handcent App, but my Samsung SMS keeps working. How do I turn it off?
After installing "Handcent SMS", you can disable or uninstall the built-in messaging app. This will prevent redundant message app activities and notifications coming from both "Handcent SMS" and the Samsung or Android built-in messaging App.
- 1To disable the built-in messaging app, take these steps:
- Open the built-in messaging app
- Open the built-in messaging app settings menu
- Scroll down and uncheck the Auto Retrieve and Notifications options by tapping the check box.
- After removing the checks on these items, the built-in messaging app will now be disabled.
- 2To disable the pop-up every time you receive a message, take these steps:
- Go to your default messaging or SMS
- Select the menu button
- Tap "Settings"
- Uncheck "Notifications"
- 3To permanently remove the built-in messaging app, follow these steps:
- Go to the application manager
- Uninstall the default messaging application
How to get Emoji to work on Galaxy S3?
In order to get emoji on your device, you will simply need to follow the steps listed earlier in this guide. Just in case you had any difficulties with it, here are some steps showing how to install another Emoji App from the Google Play Store. You can also search for other Emoji plugins and download them to your device for use in other applications. It's really just a matter of what you prefer to have on your Samsung.
For example, you can go to the Google Play Store, and install the Kii Keyboard, by taking these steps:
- 1To install the "Kii Keyboard"
- Go to the Google Play Store
- Search for the "Kii Keyboard"
- Tap the "Install" tab and wait for it to finish installation
- When it is done, open the application you installed
- Setup will appear
- Select Step 1 to enable the "Kii Keyboard"
- At the message prompt, just click "OK"
- 2To send a message with the "Kii Keyboard"
- Open your messaging app
- Input some text
- Tap Emoji
- A notification will display indicating that you need to download an update of the Emoji plug in
- Tap the notification and you will automatically go to Emoji plugin
- Select the "Google Play Store"
- The "Handcent Emoji" plugin in will display
- Tap the "Install" tab
- Wait for it to install, and that's it. You can now use Emoji on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
How many characters Can a Galaxy S3 send in a text?
The limit of every Samsung Galaxy S3 is 160 characters per text message, however, different languages will use different character sets, and may, as a result, have fewer characters. The Korean language is one example, which we've discussed in another VisiHow article: Bypass SMS Limit in Samsung Galaxy S2 Korean Version
Note that you are also limited to sending a maximum of six items via MMS (Multi Media Messages). Therefore, you can work around the SMS limit by changing your SMS message to the MMS format, but your phone carrier may charge an additional fee, depending on your service plan. Check with them for more details.
Keep in mind that a 161 character message will count as two messages, so it's sometimes a good idea to use short form, like 'You' instead of 'You', and to only use one space between sentences, or just a period (one period and no space takes one character, instead of a period and a space, which takes two characters). Hope this helps!
How to get Emoji for a Samsung device with built-in messaging?
How can I get Emoji to work on Galaxy S3 with normal text messaging?
There are a number of procedures we've described in this article to enable Emoji on your Galaxy S3 while using normal text. The first, and easiest method, is to enable Emoji with an SMS (Short Messaging Service) application, such as "Chomp SMS". This method involves downloading a free SMS App from the Google Play Store. The app has good reviews, and our tests at VisiHow also found it to work well.
The other method involves rooting your Galaxy S3 before you can install the "ES File Explorer" App. This involves copying a file into your Galaxy's directory and can void your device warranty. Because of this, it's only recommended for power users. Here is a short review of the methods we discuss in more detail above:
- 1To enable the Emoji Emoticons Using Chomp SMS:
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Select the Chomp SMS.
- Download and install the "Chomp SMS" App.
- Select "New Message".
- Tap the "+" at the left of the text field.
- An Emoji page with Emoji smileys will now appear.
- Tap one of the Emoji buttons found along the bottom of your screen.
- There will be an option displayed to install Emoji Plugin.
- Tap the "Download" button to now select the "Play Store".
- Tap "Install"to accept the download. Give it a few minutes to install "Play Store" completely.
- Open the Chomp SMS once again and follow the instructions.
- You can now install the Emoji Emoticons on the stock keyboard of your Galaxy S3.
- 2To enable the Emoji Emoticons by rooting your Galaxy S3.
- Download these two files: "DroidSansFallback.ttf" and "fallback_fonts.xml"
- Save these files where you can access them readily.
- Pair (connect) your Galaxy S3 to your Laptop or desktop computer, and copy the files to your SD
- Disconnect your Samsung once they are copied.
- Open the "Google Play Store" App.
- Find the "ES File Explorer" App.
- Download and install the "ES File Explorer" App.
- Launch this app.
- Find two saved files stored on your SD card ("DroidSansFallback.ttf" and "fallback_fonts.xml").
- Long press the "DroidSansFallback.ttf" file
- Tap the "Move to" tab.
- Find the "/system/fonts directory".
- Move, or 'drop' the file.
- Follow the same procedure for the "fallback_fonts.xml" file.
- Restart your Galaxy and give it time to activate the new Emoji Emoticon app.
- Enjoy sharing emoticons with others in your text messages.
See more questions like this: How can I get more symbols on my phone
There are no Emoji icons after I've installed Chomp SMS.
When I launch Chomp SMS there are no Emoji Icons, even though I installed the Emoji Plugin too. What happened? Where are they? I'm using a new Samsung S3 Galaxy phone just changed from iPhone.
That is because the Chomp SMS application is a third party application which accepts plugins in addition to the standard text application on your device. This means that the standard Samsung SMS application will not support Emoji better than a third party application. Follow the all of the steps earlier in this guide to install the Emoji characters on your S3, and let us know if you're still having problems.
How to post a thumbs up symbol?
I want to post a thumbs up symbol, but can't find the Emoji for it on my Samsung Galaxy
On the emoji keyboard, you can locate the thumbs up symbol by picking the star, which is located on the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard. This button will open up more symbols on the keyboard, and it will unlock the symbols other than the standard ones.
You can use the "My Emoticons" App in addition to the others we've listed in this guide. It can be downloaded from the Google Play Store by going here: Emoticons App]
How to stop Handcent from talking?
I have Handcent SMS and it keeps telling me every time someone calls by talking!
We have a detailed guide on how to stop your Samsung Galaxy S3 from talking back to you. It also works for other devices too. You can find our guide here: Disable Talk Back Mode in Samsung Galaxy S3
SMS inserts an ugly "Emoji" icon when forwarding texts?
My Samsung Galaxy S3 always inserts an ugly "Emoji" icon when forwarding texts!
Some people think the default Emoji icons in the Samsung are ugly, and to change this you can root your device and install a more attractive icon as we described in the beginning of this guide. Keep in mind, however, that even if you delete your built-in keyboard, others may still see their default Emoji Emoticons when you send an SMS or MMS to them. Read the steps earlier in this guide, and let us know if you need more help.
How to install ugly Emoji?
I want to make some ugly Emoji. How do I make the ugly Emoji?
You can try this "symbol" emoji: &3)
Or, you can go to this link to see an ugly Emoji Ugly Emoji Icon. Just copy and paste the ugly Emoji you want when forwarding or sending texts.
I have been charged 35p per emoji?
How can I stop being charged? I used to have an iPhone but changed to Samsung Galaxy
If this is caused by an application, your best option will be to uninstall the application so that you will not be charged more. Using the Emoji should not cost anything.
However, the Samsung Galaxy S3 does not come with an Emoji keyboard. This means that any Emoji Apps will have been downloaded. We listed steps at the beginning of this guide to install Handcent SMS, but you can also install a native keyboard by rooting your device. Either of these options should not cause you to incur charges outside of standard SMS rates specific to your carrier.
I have Emoji on my S3 but when I type a smiley it just shows a box. What am I doing wrong?
I Just downloaded emoji on my phone but when I enter a smiley it just shows me a box or a period. It will show a heart when I do a heart. What am I doing wrong?
This depends on where you are putting the Emoji. Some applications don't recognize certain Emoji, because they have their own version, or they just aren't programmed to read and display certain application specific Emoji (like those from Coolapps). You can install different Emoji sets, or try and figure out which Emoji will work on the app you're having trouble with, and use them instead.
I am not seeing the Emoji Keyboard in the Language and Keyboard Settings.
If you do not have the Emoji keyboard in the Language and Input Settings, most likely the model of your phone may have it built, or may not support it. Instead of trying to enabling it on your phone's Language and Keyboard, you can download an application from the Google Play Store.
We've listed a number of downloads in this guide, and you can also find others if you prefer something different. They all work more or less the same, depending on whether you install an app or change your keyboard. That's what's so great about Android and the Samsung Galaxy. You can change what you want to get the things you need on your phone.
How to solve possible issues when installing Emoji for Facebook?
I want to install Emoji for Facebook, but I am having some issues with it. Can you help me?
There are different versions of the Facebook App, and some of them recognize different sets of Emoji characters. To have the best experience, you need to install one of the keyboards we recommended earlier in this guide. Just pick an Emoji keyboard that you like, and follow the steps we have given for installing it. If you have further problems, let us know here, and we'll take care of them for you.
Why didn't Samsung include Emoji Natively on their phones?
Samsung Galaxy and Note devices use Google Android as their operating system, and the Emoji icons are not natively installed by Google. This is because Google Android has its own set of Emoji icons, which as you know, are very different than what you found on iOS devices from Apple.
The iPhone uses the standard Emoji icons, but Android modifies them to show Google faces. If you are using YM or Yahoo Messenger, you probably noted that the Emoji icons are basically the same. Anyway, Google keeps saying that they will include the same Emoji icons, but so far they have not.
Here are some comparisons of the Emoji icons on Android and iOS devices:
Will Emoji sent via the Samsung show up properly on Apple iOS based devices like the iPhone?
That would depend. Android devices and iOS devices have different codes for the Emoji you are using. In other words, Android Emoji can be seen on Android devices, but an Android can't read other Emoji unless you install a special Emoji keyboard. iOS users have the keyboard as part of their OS, so they can just natively enable it. If you're using the Handcent SMS application to send a message with an Emoji that has been inserted, the iOS users should be able to read those Emoji. Of course, he or she may need to enable their Emoji keyboard, depending on whether they are using a new or old version of iOS.
How to get the thumbs up on my Samsung Messenger - using an S4?
Hi I have a Samsung S4 and am using Messenger, however, the thumbs up is right next to the back key and wondered how I move it please.
To move keys on a Samsung keyboard, you will need to reprogram your own version of the keyboard. This is a very specialized and in depth process, and not something we can cover in our guide, as it will be different for every keyboard and every application you might want to change.
However, you can visit the Android community boards, and check with other developers to see if anyone else is working on that, and then offer to help, which will let you change your keyboard. I know this is a very complex solution, but at the moment it's the only one.
I'm annoyed because I can't have emoji like everyone else?
I have a Galaxy S3 and have tried to install apps so that I can send goats and pagodas and bowling balls, but none of them work. I just did this one with the handcent app, waiting to see if the receiver got them like expected.
You can continue to use handcent OR The way to get Emoji onto your device will be by downloading the Emoji Keyboard which will allow you to be able to use your standard messenger apps and to post Emoji to the app or social media applications on your device.
I will provide you the link and steps to activating this on your device at no cost:
-Download the app from here https://www.google.com/#q=emoji+keyboard+kit+kat
-After downloading the app go to settings
-Tap on language and input
-Tap on the Emoji keyboard you have just downloaded to check the check the keyboard
-After this tap on default
-Select the Emoji keyboard
From here the keyboard will be displayed for all your applications in order to insert Emoji. You now will be able to use Emoji on all applications on your device.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: DeleteQnA, Jay, Inukshuk