Use Cinnamon to treat acne
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando, Eng and 12 others
Acne. Can you think of an uglier word? Probably not. Acne on any part of the body is just bothersome. It damages our self-esteem and ability to communicate with other people. Most people suffer from this skin problem, especially in their youth, but acne can occur at any time of your life. In fact, adult acne is prevalent in women, even those who didn't suffer from it as adolescents. The good news is that you can find a cure. There are so many acne treatments available, such as salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and retinoid-based treatments, but these can be harsh and ineffective for some people. Getting rid of acne requires persistence and patience. If you've tried most synthetic over-the-counter treatments, health advice, and proper hygiene but have yet to get rid of that big, red, tender acne, you must be missing out on one of nature's most potent anti-acne treatments - cinnamon.
- 1 Cinnamon for Acne Explained
- 2 How to Make Cinnamon Tea
- 3 How to Make a Cinnamon and Honey Mask
- 4 Tips Tricks & Warnings
5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 Do you put cinnamon and honey on acne before or after an outbreak?
- 5.2 Do I use nutmeg cinnamon and honey mask before or after a zit breakout?
- 5.3 Hi, I have a few acne bumps but mostly acne scars, most of my real bigger pimples are formed under my bottom lip and around my chin. Lately, the past few weeks the acne has been forming on my forehead, mostly it is scaring from the little pimples. How can you help?
- 5.4 My face is full of black marks. How to get rid of it?
- 5.5 I have a really big acne problem, can I leave it on overnight?
- 5.6 Is it useful for sensitive skin?
- 5.7 How to deal with spots on my face and chest?
- 5.8 Is it normal to experience mild itchiness on the face when you apply honey and cinnamon mixture?
- 5.9 MY SUFFERING FROM BACK ACNE FOR THE PAST 22 YEARS?
- 6 Comments
Cinnamon for Acne Explained
While acne might be caused by a number of factors, the two most critical contributors are hormonal problems and bacterial skin infections. Hormonal imbalance primarily involves increased creation of male sexual hormones, while the microbial infection in acne development is mostly caused by two organisms, Propionibacterium acne accompanied with Staphylococcus epidermis. Cinnamon helps to treat this second cause. It contains cinnamaldehyde, which is a chemical with antibacterial properties. Cinnamon can be combined with other ingredients such as honey to kill acne-causing bacteria. When cinnamon is applied to the skin, it doesn't restore hormonal harmony by reducing your production of male sex hormones; however, cinnamon is very successful in stopping acne-causing germs and for relieving the changes around the skin triggered by both factors that cause acne.
The most significant property of cinnamon is that it increases circulation, bringing blood and oxygen to the surface of the skin where it's applied. When cinnamon is consumed, it can decrease inflammation in the body and help stabilize spikes in blood glucose levels. This can help to improve your skin health from the inside out. Cinnamon can be applied to the skin or taken in tea for maximum benefits, but it must be used in small amounts to avoid causing irritation and unwanted effects.
Some Components of Cinnamon
- Ethyl cinnamate
How to Make Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon tea is a tasty way to improve your skin health. It's a nice, warming treat, especially on cold winter nights. Make yourself a cup of cinnamon tea once a day to help reduce inflammation in your body.
- 1Put one 3-inch cinnamon stick and 1 1/2 cups of water into a pot. If you don't have cinnamon sticks, you can add 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon.Advertisement
- 2Bring the tea to a boil, then turn it down to medium-low heat. Allow the tea to simmer for 15 minutes.Advertisement
- 3You can add a tea bag and let it steep for a few minutes if you want extra flavor.
- 4Take the tea off of the stove and remove the cinnamon stick or tea bag.
- 5If you used ground cinnamon, stir the tea very well to incorporate the powder into the water.
- 6Sweeten the tea with honey or sugar as desired, and serve it hot.
- 7For iced cinnamon tea, allow the tea to cool, and then pour it into an ice-filled glass.
- 8Drink one cup of cinnamon tea a day for maximum benefits. More is not better when it comes to cinnamon, as it's a very potent spice. Cinnamon should be consumed only in moderate quantities, so it's best to drink only one cup per day.
How to Make a Cinnamon and Honey Mask
The combination of cinnamon and honey can help treat and prevent stubborn acne. They're both full of antioxidants and they have antibacterial properties. Honey is anti-inflammatory, and it can soothe and moisturize your skin.
- 1Blend 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder together with 3 tablespoons of raw honey (pick the purest type of honey you can find). Mix both of the ingredients until they form a brown paste of uniform texture.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- For treating acne, always use fresh cinnamon - you will know this by smell. If the cinnamon you bought smells less potent than it should, then it is a clear indicator that its probably old, and will not have as great an effect on your acne.
- If your acne doesn't get better despite all your efforts to clear it, you can ask your doctor for alternative ways to do so.
- As outlined by Phadia, a manufacturer involved with blood examination systems that help in diagnosing allergies, cinnamon can be a potential allergen. If in doubt, check your family history or talk with your health specialist. However, cases of allergy to cinnamon are rare. Before you use any homemade cinnamon mixture, do prepare a small sample and patch test your inner arm, just to so you can be sure you're not allergic.
- Try to control your stress levels to help prevent acne. Meditation, exercise, and tending to pets are all activities that have been proven to reduce stress and anxiety, which may help decrease acne flare-ups.
- If you're on any prescription medications, ask your doctor if it's safe to drink cinnamon tea. In some cases, cinnamon can interact with certain drugs, such as blood thinners, antibiotics, or diabetes drugs.
Questions and Answers
Do you put cinnamon and honey on acne before or after an outbreak?
Yes, a cinnamon-honey mixture can be applied to the skin after an acne breakout. Since these have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities, it is safe to use this mix. Cinnamon can be irritating, so if you feel too much of a tingling sensation upon application, reduce the amount if needed. You too may just want to use it as a spot mask; you just have to apply it on areas that need some attention.
You can do both for by doing it before you break out will help you to prevent yourself from a breakout. If you have already broken out, then you can use this mixture to fight back the outbreak or breakout that has occurred.
Do I use nutmeg cinnamon and honey mask before or after a zit breakout?
Use the nutmeg cinnamon and honey mask when you have a breakout of a zit. This mask can help to soothe and calm the skin. The honey and nutmeg have properties that can reduce swelling so it is really advisable that you use this when there is a breakout. They also reduce the scars and prevent the skin from infection. You can apply this mask on your skin once a week.
If you do not have nutmeg, try a small amount of coarse sea salt or black pepper instead.
Hi, I have a few acne bumps but mostly acne scars, most of my real bigger pimples are formed under my bottom lip and around my chin. Lately, the past few weeks the acne has been forming on my forehead, mostly it is scaring from the little pimples. How can you help?
First off, one of the most common mistakes when treating acne or pimples is getting rid of it by popping it. This does not help ease acne formation but actually, exacerbates its condition as it pushes the infection deeper into the skin. If you burst your pimples, this usually precipitate the eruption or growth of more pimples as the infection spread in the surrounding areas. It is best to wash your face regularly with warm water and mild soap. Tie your hair so it does not touch your face and cause further irritation. Use OTC products that can help reduce or eradicate pimple breakouts such as those that contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, Retin-A, and sulfur; to name some.
My face is full of black marks. How to get rid of it?
My face has lost its original color. I am really worried about that. Now I am using Cinnamon, but simply cinnamon and rose water, how to remove the black marks. It's like hell
Cinnamon alone will not remove dark spots. A 2-percent salicylic acid lotion or treatment can help lighten hyperpigmentation and acne scars, and it can also help to unclog pores and reduce acne. Use a thin layer once or twice a day. Lotions or serums that contain vitamin C are also effective at lightening dark spots. You can also mix a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with a tablespoon of water or rose water, and apply it to the affected areas with a cotton ball once a day. Do not mix all of these treatments, but try one at a time to avoid irritation. It can take a few days up to a few weeks to see improvement. Make sure to use sunscreen every day, as sun exposure can make the spots darker.
I have a really big acne problem, can I leave it on overnight?
Can I leave this mixture on overnight?
It is perfectly fine to leave your acne and honey mask on all night, however, cinnamon can also be an allergen to the skin for some people. If you notice additional redness or itching after leaving the mask on for a number of hours be sure to remove it immediately. If you have sensitive skin it is a good idea to avoid leaving this mask on for more than an hour.
Is it useful for sensitive skin?
I have severe acne in my face can I use it
Because your skin is sensitive, you should test a very small patch first before using it everywhere. Sensitive skin has many different triggers so the cinnamon might not be irritating to your skin.
How to deal with spots on my face and chest?
I have a lot of acne spots on my face, how can l use cinnamon internally to heal faster?. I have tried: Honey and cinnamon mask. I think it was caused by: Probably diet
Eating cinnamon is good for hormonal and inflammation fixes. It will not help you heal faster but it will help with further outbreaks. You are correct in considering that your diet may have something to do with your acne. Avoid processed foods, carbohydrates, and sugar. For me, I will develop acne whenever I stop my normal "clean eating" lifestyle. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Steep some green tea and put in in the refrigerator. Use is as a facial toner twice a day when you wash your face. Avoid harsh cleansers as these can actually cause more acne outbreaks.
Is it normal to experience mild itchiness on the face when you apply honey and cinnamon mixture?
I experienced itchiness on my face after some minutes of application, is it normal?
You are using too much cinnamon. If you experience itching, it also could be an allergic reaction. Those with sensitive skin have this reaction to numerous products.
MY SUFFERING FROM BACK ACNE FOR THE PAST 22 YEARS?
I HAVE BACK ACNE AND FACIAL ACNE. I have tried: DERMATOLOGIST, VITAMIN C, E & B COMPLEX. I think it was caused by: HORMONAL IMBALANCE & EMOTION PROBLEM, PERIOD PROBLEM
Use a body wash with Tea Tree oil. You can make your own also using 10 drops of tea tree oil to a gentle body wash like Cetaphil. Moisturize using Coconut oil and use an exfoliating body scrub twice a week. If you use hair conditioners, rinse your back fully after you rinse your hair or put your head facing forward and bent over to rinse your hair so that the conditioner does not leave a residue on your back. This can cause bacteria to breed which will result in the acne.