Use Cinnamon for Weight Loss
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Joely, mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Angela and 9 others
The latest Green Revolution has brought on a brand new understanding of good health. More and more, people are venturing into new ways of maintaining their health. One of the most common means of achieving optimum health these days is losing weight. Shedding those extra pounds will definitely help prevent the many diseases associated with obesity, such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and osteoarthritis. Weight loss is a primary step to achieving an improved state of health and a much higher level of self-esteem. To accelerate weight loss, herbs such as cinnamon can be ingested.
- 1 Uses of Cinnamon
- 2 Cinnamon's Health Benefits
- 3 Weight Loss by Cinnamon
- 4 How to Make Cinnamon Part of your Daily Weight Loss Routine
- 5 Cinnamon as a Fat Burner
- 6 Try the Cinnamon Diet
- 7 How to Identify "True Cinnamon"
- 8 How to Incorporate Cinnamon Into Your Life
- 9 Tips and Warnings
- 10 Questions and Answers
- 11 Comments
Uses of Cinnamon
If you like cinnamon, perhaps you are already familiar with some of the following uses:
- 1Cinnamon is used as a natural preservative. Cinnamon preserves meat and fish so effectively that many companies, when they package meat and fish, have started to incorporate cinnamon into the inner layer of plastic due to its antimicrobial properties which, can protect food from microbes up to 120 degrees Celsius. Cinnamon is also effective in the preservation of deep fried and pan-fried foods.Advertisement
- 2Cinnamon adds more flavor to food and drinks. Classified as a spice, cinnamon is obtained from the inner bark of many different trees from the Cinnamomum genus. Cinnamon is used in both sweet and savory dishes. It is brown in color and can be acquired in stick or powder form. If you are fond of watching cooking shows, you know that cinnamon is used to enhance the flavor of chocolate, pastries, coffee, liqueurs, and apples, among others. In some countries, such as Persia and Turkey, Cinnamon is also used to flavor savory dishes such as those with chicken or lamb.Advertisement
Cinnamon's Health Benefits
You have to look at your cinnamon roll differently because the main spice in it has several health benefits. Some of them are the following:
- 1Cinnamon is rich in nutrients. This spice is full of fiber, iron, manganese, and calcium.Advertisement
- 3Cinnamon helps prevent diabetes and its complications. The spice regulates blood sugar levels and LDL (bad cholesterol). It also helps improve your cholesterol levels so it reverses diabetes or resistance to insulin. Cinnamon tastes sweet so it helps diabetics satisfy their sweet tooth without affecting their sugar levels.
- 5Cinnamon helps lower the risk of heart problems. Since you eat fewer sweets, your blood glucose levels remain low. This results in a reduced risk of high blood pressure and other cardiovascular diseases.
Weight Loss by Cinnamon
Studies show that cinnamon can effectively regulate blood glucose levels by increasing the insulin effects in your blood. Cinnamon has a way of mimicking insulin's activities, increasing the metabolic rate of glucose. A high level of sugar in your body results in more stored fat. Cinnamon prevents this from happening. So in effect, you lose weight. This spice also makes sure that the metabolized sugar in your body does not transform into fat. When this happens, the metabolized sugar is turned into energy inside the cells. Cinnamon also slows down the digestive process, making you feel full longer, which in turn, makes you eat less, and you lose weight in the process. Carbohydrates are broken down better when there is cinnamon in what you eat. This significantly helps to shed excess pounds. One of the latest findings about cinnamon is that it affects abdominal fat more than fat in other parts of your body. If you truly want to get rid of that potbelly, start adding cinnamon to your food, baking, coffee, etc.
How to Make Cinnamon Part of your Daily Weight Loss Routine
Cinnamon is a spice and some people don't think to add a spice like that to their food, and certainly wouldn't think of eating it as a main ingredient. Below are some ways to incorporate cinnamon into your daily weight loss routine, without it feeling like a chore:
- 1Make a delicious cinnamon tea. You can change your beverage into something more yummy and fragrant like cinnamon tea. All you have to do is get a cup of freshly boiled water. Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and let it steep. Then add 1 teaspoon of honey. This tea will lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases and help you lose weight. Drink this weight loss tea two times daily before breakfast, and 30 minutes before bedtime.
- 2Perk up your usual tea. If you already have a favorite tea, just add cinnamon to it. Stir ½ teaspoon of the spice into your tea and enjoy.
- 3Spice up your breakfast. You can also add some cinnamon onto your toast, cereal, or cup of coffee. Try this - if you use a coffee maker, add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon to your ground coffee, brew, enjoy the aroma and the coffee. Also, on toast (rye is very delicious for this), lightly butter the toast, sprinkle a generous coating of cinnamon and add organic honey. Enjoy! The energy you get from cinnamon early in the morning will help you throughout the day. At the same time, it will help you burn more fat.
- 4Add more to your snacks and other beverages. If you have a taste for indulgent cheese, butter, and pies, you could just sprinkle cinnamon on them. Ciders and fruit juices are also be enhanced by adding a bit of cinnamon.
If you incorporate cinnamon every day into your diet, you will even burn fat while you're sleeping.
Cinnamon as a Fat Burner
You might be wondering why such a sweet tasting spice can help you lose weight. Well, cinnamon is blessed with thermogenic components that increase your metabolism. Through the thermogenic properties of cinnamon, you will be able to burn fat a lot more efficiently. With regular exercise and the proper diet, you will be able to burn away not only the belly fat, but so much more.
Try the Cinnamon Diet
Many people are taking their cinnamon intake very seriously. They have decided to add cinnamon to every dish or snack throughout the day. Actually, some have even started the Cinnamon Diet to enhance the way they metabolize fat. The Cinnamon Diet involves taking the recommended amounts of cinnamon on a daily basis. For breakfast and dinner, you take 500 mg of cinnamon, for lunch; 1,000 mg. To get the accurate amounts of cinnamon, there are cinnamon pills available at health food stores. They're sometimes called belly fat pills. According to studies, those who took cinnamon every day experienced a weight loss 5 times greater than those who didn't.
The Cinnamon Diet is not a fad diet. Cinnamon can be incorporated into your diet every single day without even noticing that you're following it. Because of the flavor that cinnamon gives your meals or snack, you could very well become a few pounds lighter in a matter of days, while enjoying its exotic flavor. When you take cinnamon every day, your blood sugar is stabilized so you won't crave food or overeat. Below are come pointers on how to manage the Cinnamon Diet:
- 4Do not think of the Cinnamon Diet as a short-term diet. This will take the pressure off your shoulders. Again, it is not a fad diet. Cinnamon can be part of your daily diet, always, and you will reap the wonderful results.
How to Identify "True Cinnamon"
The term "cinnamon" is a generic name for various types of cinnamon. It's important that you know what type of cinnamon you require for your weight loss, because they have very different components. Two main types of cinnamon circulate around the world "Ceylon Cinnamon" (true cinnamon) and "Cassia Cinnamon". Ceylon Cinnamon is the cinnamon that you need. It is from Sri Lanka, formerly called Ceylon. Cassia Cinnamon is from the Cassia tree in China. Although both types of cinnamon are related, they differ in the health benefits they provide. Cassia has much a much higher amount of coumarins, which act as a coagulant to the blood. Depending on your health, too much Cassia will do more harm than good. For weight loss, cardiovascular problems, diabetes and a slow metabolism, Ceylon Cinnamon is recommended.
Ceylon Cinnamon is lighter in color, and the sticks are more brittle than Cassia Cinnamon. Depending where you live, Ceylon, or True Cinnamon can be challenging to acquire, so many purchase theirs from online specialty/health food stores. You can still use Cassia Cinnamon, but only in small amounts in cooking or baking.
How to Incorporate Cinnamon Into Your Life
Because of the many benefits of cinnamon in weight loss, many people have devised various ways to incorporate cinnamon into their lives. The following are some suggestions for you to consider:
- 1Diet drink. Cinnamon can be boiled and cooled. Then just add organic or raw honey before you drink it. It is ideal to drink it in the morning and in the evening before you sleep. Keep it in the fridge to keep it cool and refreshing.
- 2Healthy snack. Ginger and cinnamon can be mixed into honey and spread on whole grain toast. Both ginger and honey are fat burners. They are very tasty, too.
- 3Cinnamon pills and cinnamon powder. Cinnamon pills can come as pure cinnamon or with honey added. Cinnamon powder can also be mixed with ginger powder.
Tips and Warnings
- Talk to your doctor first to see if you are not allergic to cinnamon.
- Only buy organic cinnamon.
- Do not take cinnamon if you have fever because it is a warming spice. Your blood pressure might shoot up if you take it during the onset of fever.
- Cinnamon is non-toxic so it is safe for pregnant women. However, it can be passed through the milk and your baby might not like the taste.
- If you reheat cinnamon tea, make sure that you have not added honey yet. Heat will destroy the essential nutrients in the honey.
- Stick to a weight loss program that you like while you enjoy the weight loss benefits of cinnamon.
- Make sure to let your doctor know you're incorporating cinnamon into your daily diet.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Be physical active every day, even if it's just walking.
- Have a teaspoon of cinnamon every day to help in your weight loss.
Questions and Answers
Is taking powered ginger and cinnamon effective for weight loss?
I have been taking 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon cinnamon 3 times daily for a week now. When will I be able to see results?
You've made a good choice with the cinnamon and ginger, but you need to combine this with a good, balanced diet and regular exercise - even if it's just walking briskly. When it comes to weight loss, you won't see results instantly. It takes time, effort. Be inspired by your goal and don't give up.