Use American Ginseng
Edited by Jerry Rivers
The gnarly American ginseng root looks much like an ordinary root, yet it is a true adaptogen with tremendous benefits to your body and mind. As a rather costly herb ginseng is worth every penny. Its powerful antioxidant health benefits have been known for over several millennia by the Chinese and the Native Americans. Both cultures used the leaves and the root for medicine.
You can obtain American ginseng the easy way at an any health supplements store, or obtain it the hard way and find it growing wild in many parts of North America. It is offered in many forms: dried, capsule, or liquid. It is very popular as a dietary supplement because modern medical science has verified that it does help keep your body in balance, as well as strengthen it. American ginseng is very beneficial in boosting your immune system, but is recommended for adults only. Below, you will learn how to use American ginseng as a savory soup and tasty tea. You will also learn how to take it as a tincture or in capsule form. This is an herb for adults only.
- 1 American Ginseng Tea Recipe
- 2 American Ginseng and Chicken Soup
- 3 How to take tincture or a capsule of American ginseng
- 4 Before ingesting ginseng, you should consult your physician or licensed pharmacist if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- 5 Do not exceed the daily recommended dosage, or you may suffer from:
- 6 Comments
American Ginseng Tea Recipe
- 1Cut one dried ginseng root into thin slices.Advertisement
- 2Boil one quart of water in a pan.Advertisement
- 3Once the water is boiling, add ¼ cup of the sliced ginseng, and lower the heat.
- 4Allow it to simmer for a couple hours.
- 5When you are about to drink the tea, add honey to enhance the taste.
- 6In this form the tea will only need to steep a few minutes before sipping.Note that if you cannot find the American ginseng root, you can find it in tea bag form at a nearby nutrition store.
American Ginseng and Chicken Soup
- 1This delicious soup is known also known as Samgyetang, a Korean dish.
- 2First, remove the skin of a whole chicken.
- 3Four ounces of sticky rice, also called sweet rice.
- 4Six jujubes (also called red date, Korean date, Indian date, or Chinese date).
- 5One knob (this is one piece growing from the main stem) of ginger root.
- 6Ten gloves of garlic.
- 7Six slices of dried or fresh ginseng root.
- 8How to prepare the chicken ginseng root
- 9Rinse the chicken thoroughly.
- 10Stuff the chicken with the garlic cloves and sticky rice.
- 11Sew the stuffed chicken cavity loosely with needle and thread.
- 12Add the sliced ginseng.Place the chicken in a big pot, and add the remainder of the ingredients.
- 13Make sure that the entire chicken is covered by the water.Fill a pot within an inch of the top.
- 14After this it is ready for the dinner table.Boil the chicken for about 1 ½ hours.
How to take tincture or a capsule of American ginseng
- 1At your neighborhood nutrition center you can purchase American ginseng in tincture or capsules form.
- 2You can also add it to other beverages except MILK.For an adult, two teaspoons of the tincture should be taken in the morning, before eating, with a glass of water.
- 3As another option for the tincture only, you can put the tincture directly on your tongue before eating in the morning.
- 4Dosage recommended daily for an adult varies from 500 to 2,000mg. So, read the instructions for the correct daily dosage for you.The capsules often come in 250 mg, 324 mg, or 500mg.
- 5===Do not take American ginseng under these conditions:===
- 6You are going to have surgery within a week, or if you are having any bleeding problems.
- 7You are allergic to ginsenoside or other ginseng ingredients.
- 8American ginseng should always be taken with food to avoid hypoglycemia.You are fasting.
Before ingesting ginseng, you should consult your physician or licensed pharmacist if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- 1If you are now taking any other medicine, food supplement, hormonal, or herbal treatments.
- 2If you drink more than a few cups of caffeinated drinks.
- 3If you have any cardiovascular problem, such as blood pressure or heart trouble.
- 4If you are diabetic
- 5If you are having a fever, or take water pills.
Do not exceed the daily recommended dosage, or you may suffer from:
- anxiety and restlessness
- headache and/or vomiting
- high blood pressure
- vaginal bleeding and/or breast pain
- nosebleed. If you have any cuts, due to the thinning of the blood, it may not clot.
===You can can dry fresh American ginseng roots to preserve it. It will keep the potency.===.
- 1Set them on open shelves or wire racks, ideally in a warm, dry room with plenty of air circulation.
- 2Let the roots dry for a month, and turn them over a couple times per day.
- 3Do not allow the roots to freeze.After drying for a month, seal the roots in a container, and store them under refrigeration (34 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit, or 1 to 4 degrees Celsius).