Update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Edited by Mohsin, Charmed, Leomar Umpad, Michael J. and 20 others
Update: March 2nd, 2017
Android 4.3, also known as Jelly Bean, launched in the second half of 2012, hitting almost all of the Nexus devices, the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4, and the most recent HTC phones. For people with some mobile carriers, or those using older (but still very capable) hardware like the Galaxy S2, waiting for Jelly Bean has been a 'sit and hope' affair. Luckily, S2 owners looking for Jelly Bean don't need to wait any longer. The Android custom developer community has a version of Jelly Bean ready to go for your device, and all you need to do is follow the steps below.
- 1 Before Updating to Jelly Bean, Make Sure:
- 2 Rooting Your Samsung Galaxy S2
- 3 Files You Will Need To Root Your Device
- 4 Important: Enable USB Debugging
- 5 Put Your Phone Into Download Mode
- 6 Loading the Insecure Kernel Using Odin3
- 7 Steps to Update your Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3 Through SlimBean
- 8 Jelly Bean
- 9 Tips, Tricks & Warnings
10 Questions and Answers
- 10.1 How do I update my Samsung Galaxy S2?
- 10.2 What do I need to install after installing 4.3?
- 10.3 How can I update Samsung S2 to Android 4.3?
- 10.4 Why am I not getting Google apps on CyanogenMod 10.2?
- 10.5 Galaxy S2 4.3 update using ODIN method?
- 10.6 Can you please give me the link to download Android 4.3.1?
- 10.7 I updated my Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean with ODI, and it is no longer working.
- 10.8 From the recovery screen, I cannot see "install zip from SD card." Could you tell me where it is?
- 10.9 Problem with installing Jelly bean and Google apps?
- 10.10 Intermittent signal issue on S2-GTi9100?
- 10.11 My phone isn't starting. It stops on the Samsung logo. What can I do to resolve this?
- 10.12 Is the official Samsung JB available for download?
- 10.13 It's loading for 15 minutes and still loading what am I supposed to do?
- 10.14 Good day Sir, I'm newbie about this and I don't know how to update my S2 to the latest one. my phone have unknown IMEI I don't why?
- 10.15 Yes please I downloaded to two apps they told me to but its still not working on my phone I don't know why?
- 11 Comments
Before Updating to Jelly Bean, Make Sure:
- Your Galaxy S2 has been rooted. Not rooted? Follow the steps below.
- You have installed a custom recovery app on your device (something like the ClockWork Mod).
- USB debugging should be set to 'Enabled'. You can do this by going to your settings menu, then choosing 'Development Options' and ticking 'USB Debugging.'
- You have a full battery when beginning the below procedure. Irreparable damage can be done to the file system if your phone shuts down at any time during installation.
Rooting Your Samsung Galaxy S2
Things to Consider Before Rooting
- Please NOTE: This could brick your device, proceed only if you feel comfortable in doing so.
- Rooting and modifying your device can void your warranty.
- Your phone should have the latest updates from Samsung installed before you follow these instructions. Use Samsung Kies to ensure your phone is updated by following this guide here
- Rooting will delete your phone's data. Backup your important files to an SD card or computer before continuing with the installation.
Files You Will Need To Root Your Device
First and foremost, you will need Samsung Kies installed to get the necessary drivers needed for your computer to communicate with your Galaxy S2 Download everything from each of the links below.
- Samsung Kies:Download here
- ODIN Downloader: Download here
- You will need an insecure kernel. Please read everything in the first few comments/posts, then select the kernel that matches to yours from here
- A USB Data Cable
Have you got everything you need and ready to proceed? Let's continue on.
Important: Enable USB Debugging
To proceed with rooting your S2 and updating to Android 4.3, you need to have USB debugging enabled. You will not be able to proceed if you do not have it enabled.
- 1First, go to 'Settings'.Advertisement
Pat yourself on the back. You have now enabled USB Debugging on your device and can proceed on to the next steps.
Put Your Phone Into Download Mode
- 1Make sure that you download all of the software from the previous step and have the files ready on your PC.
- 2Double-check that you followed the previous step to enable debugging mode on your phone.
- 3Turn your phone off.
Loading the Insecure Kernel Using Odin3
- 2Once the phone has synced, ODIN will show a message that the phone has been detected. See picture belowConnect your phone to your PC using your USB cable.
- 5You might need to extract the insecure kernel first to select it in PDA.
- 6Leave all other settings set to default.
Please wait patiently for your phone to reboot after this process completes. It usually takes 3-5 minutes.
Steps to Update your Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3 Through SlimBean
- 2Once the downloads are complete, reconnect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.
- 3Simply drag and drop the files directly to the SD card. Do not place them into any existing folders on the card.Copy or move the downloaded files (don't extract the .zip) to the root directory of your SD card.
- 4Turn off your phone and then boot it back up by holding the "Volume Up", "Home" and "Power" keys until the phone boots into recovery mode.
- 5Inside the recovery mode, you will first want to create an Android backup of your current ROM by selecting 'Backup and Restore > Backup'.
- 6Select 'Wipe data/factory reset' and then 'Wipe cache partition'. Also then select 'Advanced wipe > wipe Dalvik cache'.After you create your Android backup, you need to perform a full wipe on your device.
- 7Go back to the main screen to install SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM by selecting 'Install Zip from SD card' and then choose the zip file that you saved to the root of your SD card.
- 8Accept the prompts on the next screen to continue with the installation.
- 9When the installation is complete, follow the steps again, but this time select 'Install Google Apps' and choose the other file that you copied to the root of your SD card.
- 10When the installation is complete, choose 'Restart' from the main menu.
- 11Your phone will reboot automatically.
- 12The new ROM can take up to ten minutes to load on the first boot, so be patient before exploring all the new features.Congratulations, you're now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean!
Jelly Bean is the 10th version of Google's Android operating system. It succeeded Ice Cream Sandwich and was officially released on June 27, 2012. Nicknamed 'Project Butter'. The new OS aims to make the user interface as smooth as possible from a visual perspective. Menus and transitions will now flow as you haven't experienced before on your Android. There are also various bug fixes and software improvements, most notably:
- A new notification system. You can now complete actions from the notifications tray, like interact with emails and messages without opening the related app.
- Speed improvements to the default camera app.
- Widgets now work better.
- Better accessibility features.
- Google Now and Android Beam functionality built into the OS.
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- The instructions in this article are intended for the Samsung Galaxy S2 only.
Solution for E-Signature Error
- If you see this error from the recovery mode, you haven't installed a custom recovery. Make sure that you have rooted and installed Clockwork Mod on the phone.
- This error can also occur because of outdated USB drivers. Make sure you have installed Samsung Kies. Run it, and the program will take care of your driver installations.
Solution if You Get Stuck on Yellow Error Sign/Logo Screen
- If you see this yellow error message while in download mode, just press volume up to resume the process.
Questions and Answers
How do I update my Samsung Galaxy S2?
I would like to update my Galaxy S2 4.1.2 to 4.2.2, Jelly Bean.
You can update your Samsung Galaxy S2 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 by choosing any of the following update procedures:
- Download and install Samsung Kies on your computer. Once the download is complete, connect your Galaxy S2 to your computer via USB cable. Open Kies and wait for it to detect your phone. Once detected, Kies will search for the latest update available and will give you the option to download the latest update. Download the update, and automatic updating should follow.
- You can update through your phone's over-the-air (OTA) update. Download updates by going to Home Screen > Apps icon > Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Update. Galaxy S2 will now search for available updates and will ask you if you will proceed with the download.
For a third option for updating your Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.2.2, please do the following.
- Root your phone. Please follow the instructions for "Rooting Samsung Galaxy S2" above.
- Next, flash CWM via ODIN. Please do the following to flash the file.
- Turn off your phone, then boot into ODIN mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
- Flash the tar file using ODIN (click on PDA, then select the CWM tar file you have downloaded, then click Start)
- Follow the procedure on "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3". Note that this is the Android 4.2.2 based version of CyanogenMod for Samsung Galaxy S2, and so 4.2.2 will be installed, not 4.3
See more questions like this: My Samsung Galaxy S2 is not supported to data cable?
What do I need to install after installing 4.3?
Do I need to reinstall all Apps that I have currently downloaded? Also, when there is a new version of Android, do I need to install that manually or will it be taken care of automatically in the same way that I check for Android updates right now?
You do not have to reinstall applications when you upgrade your phone's OS version. For future updates, you can opt to manually update through Samsung Kies, or wirelessly through Over-the-Air (OTA) updates. These are very easy and convenient ways, so there is a minimal chance that these update options will change in the future.
Understand that this update may not come standard for your device, depending on the time that you asked this question, but you can find this update in your update phone option.
How can I update Samsung S2 to Android 4.3?
Samsung S2 Jelly Bean 4.3 version
You need to root your phone as discussed in this section [[[#Rooting Your Samsung Galaxy S2]]
Once rooted, follow the instructions in this article, specifically the section on #Steps to update your Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3 through CyanogenMod (CM)
Why am I not getting Google apps on CyanogenMod 10.2?
I am not getting Google apps on CyanogenMod 10.2. I just installed it
It seems that you have rooted your phone to another update of this device instead of having the required update for the phone. Uninstall and reinstall Cyanogen mode to see if you can get your Google Play Store to show up to download applications.
The CyanogenMod ROMs are just the basic Android OS and do not offer the Google apps package. You will need to flash the package zip file using a custom recovery like Clockwork mod or TWRP.
You can find the latest CyanogenMod Google apps package download at .
Galaxy S2 4.3 update using ODIN method?
I need to install Android 4.3 using ODIN method. Can you give me the download link?
A download link is not all you are going to need for this process. You will need to follow the steps in the article above, and root your device so that you can get the Jelly Bean update. The update to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean does not come standard for the S2.
You can, however, install an open source 4.3 update, without the Samsung TouchWiz UI for your phone. You would not need to use ODIN, but instead, use the built-in recovery of your phone. You can find the download for the S2 device here:
You'll also need the Google apps package, which includes the Play Store, Gmail, etc. , here:
You can flash both zip files from your phone's recovery mode menu.
Download S2 4.3.1 jelly bean link?
Please refer to the above question in regards to gaining access to the 4.3 Jelly Bean version and successfully downloading it to your device.
If you are looking for some ROMs for your device, try looking here for the Cyanogen ROM:
Or this Slim Bean
I updated my Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean with ODI, and it is no longer working.
I Update Jelly Bean Version with ODIN My Phone Galaxy S2 SHW-M250S is no longer working. How do I solve my problem?
Was the update completely flashed on the phone? If it were, the phone would have rebooted into the new OS. Connect the phone to the computer and run ODIN again. Make sure the com port is lit up, which will indicate that the phone is connected correctly, and the drivers are installed.
Check out a screenshot here: http://screencast.com/t/VHycqecGKxXN
You'll need to put the phone in download mode when connected to the computer. To do so, press and hold the "Power" and "Volume Down" buttons at the same time. Load up the Jelly Bean firmware file and flash again with ODIN. Make sure this time, the file is fully flashed, and you see the pass sign:
See more questions like this: I need download file for update jelly bean 4.3
See more questions like this: I want to do update firmware for my Galaxy S2 SHW-M250S.so,please give me that
From the recovery screen, I cannot see "install zip from SD card." Could you tell me where it is?
In the step: "From the recovery screen, choose 'install zip from SD card' and then choose the .zip file that you saved on the root of your SD card." From the recovery screen, I cannot see "install zip from SD card", could tell me where it is?
If you don't have the "Install Zip From SD card" option on your system recovery, this just means that you are not using a custom recovery. Please install CWM on your phone first before proceeding with the update. To install CWM on your phone, do the following.
NOTE: Make sure your phone is rooted before proceeding.
- Download CWM for your Galaxy S2 from here: 
See this image 
- Copy the previously downloaded CWM file onto your SD card.
- Copy the Android 4.3 ROM you have downloaded onto your SD card.
- Boot into your stock recovery and select "Apply Update From External Storage".
- Select the CWM file you have copied in the previous step.
- You will now boot into CWM recovery interface (this custom recovery is temporary and will be gone after the reboot.)
- You will now have the option to "Install Zip From SD card".
- You can now start on step 5 of "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3".
Problem with installing Jelly bean and Google apps?
After selecting "apply update from SD card" and then the Jellybean 4.3, it says E: failed to verify whole-file signature and E: signature verification failed.
Are you using a custom recovery to install the Jelly Bean update? If you are, there should be an option to turn off signature verification. Look for the option called "Toggle Signature Verification" and turn it OFF. Reinstall the update zip, and it should go through.
Check out this screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/nmPfbqRg
Intermittent signal issue on S2-GTi9100?
Intermittent signal issue. Replaced SIM card but still have the same issue. On jellybean 4.1.2
The Samsung Galaxy S2 has a lot of issues, not only with the device itself but with the software on the device. Contact your mobile carrier so they can help diagnose the problem remotely to your device.
My phone isn't starting. It stops on the Samsung logo. What can I do to resolve this?
There are several ways for you to try to resolve this issue. Try the suggestions below and see if any of them solve the issue. It may be that your power button has gotten stuck, which would be why you are experiencing this problem during the reboot sequence. Try fiddling with that and see if it is stuck, and if so, try to get it unstuck. If that does not resolve your issue, turn off the phone and take the battery out, then insert it back in. If it is still stuck in the boot loop, your phone likely needs to have a general cleaning. You'll need to take all the parts apart to clean (in this case, specifically, the power button), and remove any dirt or grime lurking in your phone. Before taking the phone apart, try to press and hold the power button only for about a minute with extra effort, then after one minute shake the phone. It may sound ridiculous, but it might resolve the problem. It's also possible that a battery issue is keeping your phone stuck in a boot loop or stuck on the Samsung Logo. What you need to do is check to see if the battery is working okay. If you have another battery that is the same as the one in your phone, try swapping it and checking to see if you have the same issue. If you have the same issue, you need to take your battery out of the phone - you can use a pick or toothpick or an emery board (Nail File). To fix a potential battery cleanliness issue, look for the three little bronze terminals in the place where you place your battery in your phone and clean them. Next, gently scrape the three terminals on the battery, then re-insert it into the battery dock. Now turn on the phone and see if the problem persists.
Is the official Samsung JB available for download?
I would like to install the original Samsung OS. I currently have CM 10, which doesn't have the SIM Tool Kit app. I know the Official Samsung OS does.
All you have to do is go into your phone's settings, tap "About Phone" and then tap on the "System Update" option. This will download the latest available firmware for your phone from your carrier. Just let it finish downloading and complete the installation, and you should have the original Samsung OS back on your phone.
Note: This will erase your user settings, as well as your CyanogenMod ROM and root access if you had it previously.
It's loading for 15 minutes and still loading what am I supposed to do?
If you have installed the ROM on your phone and it just keeps on loading, boot into recovery mode by pressing the "Volume Up," "Home," and "Power" buttons. Once you have access to the Android recovery, you just need to select "Reboot" for the phone to reboot and use it once again.
If you have tried that and it didn't work, follow the same steps to install the stock ROM and start flashing it again. Make sure also that your phone is properly connected to the computer so that it will not be interrupted during ROM installation.
Good day Sir, I'm newbie about this and I don't know how to update my S2 to the latest one. my phone have unknown IMEI I don't why?
I'm to update using ODIN following some guide on the net it is always failed, need your help Sir THANKS GOD BLESS, MORE POWER TO VisiHow.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Yes please I downloaded to two apps they told me to but its still not working on my phone I don't know why?
Its can't work on my phone Samsung S2 I downloaded the two apps I need to but its seems it can't work on my phone I don't understand. It is falling any time I try to update it through the procedures below. I have tried: I have try to update but not working falling any time I restart the phone. I think it was caused by: I don't really no please I have try all means but not working no matter how I try
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Android
Recent edits by: Jay, Marlo, Chris Stipe