Turn Your Samsung Galaxy S5 Into a WiFi Hotspot and Share Your Internet Wirelessly Marshmallow vs Lollipop vs Connect to a Mobile Hotspot with a Windows Laptop/Desktop ... and 1 more
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Eng, Eric42, Dougie and 14 others
- 1 Samsung's most powerful for 2014 has arrived! Samsung Galaxy S5 is packed with one of the most powerful processor, camera and health features. We have all the tutorials, instructions and tips on how to get the most out of your phone on this All About the Samsung Galaxy S5.
- 2 Questions and Answers
- 2.1 Samsung hotspot / laptop connection?
- 2.2 S5 Verizon, S3 had a simple toggle to turn on and off without going to settings and digging for it. Can something be put on a homepage for easy toggle on off?
- 2.3 My S5 will not tether to a 2.4 GHz device?
- 2.4 How to use WiFi hotspot on Samsung Galaxy Ace GTS 5830i?
- 2.5 I'm trying to block all incoming calls so Hotspot doesn't get disabled?
- 2.6 This is from AT&T (Samsung SM-G900A), with a full purchase and no contract. Unlocked so I can use local SIM in UK and Italy works fine. The phone can't connect to Google Play Store, hence no updates on any apps, plus some apps have been deleted and I can't download them?
- 2.7 My former neighbor is in my network?
- 2.8 Is there any way to check and see if my hotspot was turned on August 24?
- 3 Comments
Samsung's most powerful for 2014 has arrived! Samsung Galaxy S5 is packed with one of the most powerful processor, camera and health features. We have all the tutorials, instructions and tips on how to get the most out of your phone on this All About the Samsung Galaxy S5.
You can turn your Samsung Galaxy S5 into a WiFi hotspot and share the internet connection of your phone to nearby devices. You can change the device name and put a password to prevent access from unwanted users and you can share your internet connection to a maximum of 10 devices. Take note that you will be sharing your mobile data so you may incur additional charges especially if you are billed on per-byte usage; this feature is useful if you have an unlimited data plan or is billed per minute of internet consumption.
*Important Please Read* Not every cell phone carrier allows their users to set up mobile hotspots. If you follow the steps below for your operating system and see that the Tethering/Mobile Hotspot option isn't available, your service provider may not offer the ability to hotspot with your plan. Many carriers require the additional purchase of a hotspot plan. Contact your carrier's customer support center for additional questions.
Method 1: Marshmallow
The steps below will take you right through the entire process of enabling and configuring a WiFi Mobile Hotspot on your Galaxy S5. The first step is to turn your data on.
Please remember to watch your data usage carefully when you share your device's network connection.
- 7If you use the default credentials, skip to Connect to a Mobile Hotspot with a Laptop.With Mobile hotspot turned on, you can use either the default network name and password (located midway down the screen) or, you can create a custom name/password.
- 9Change the name and choose a new password, or change "Security" to "Open" if you wish to not have a password at all.Here you can configure your Mobile Hotspot.
Method 2: Lollipop
Follow the steps below to enable and configure a WiFi Mobile Hotspot on your Samsung S5. First, we'll make sure your data is enabled.
Please be extremely careful with your data when you share your device's connection. Unless you have an unlimited data plan, you'll want to watch your usage carefully. From the home screen, tap "Apps".
- 8If you wish to set up a custom password, continue to the following step.If you go with the default network name and password, skip to Connect to a Mobile Hotspot with a Laptop.
Method 3: Connect to a Mobile Hotspot with a Windows Laptop/Desktop
- 1When the list of available connections populates, locate your network and click "Connect".When your Mobile Hotspot is active, click the Internet Access icon on the taskbar.
Method 4: Kitkat
To enable WiFi Hotspot on your mobile device and the internet connection on your phone wirelessly, follow these procedures:
- 3From the Use the Notifications Panel on Samsung Galaxy S5, tap on the Settings icon located on the upper right part of the screen (second to the right-most icon).
- 10Tap on Save when you are done setting up your preferencesConfigure your WiFi hotspot based on your preference.
- Enter your preferred WiFi network's name by indicating it on the Network SSID tab.
- Hide or show your device's network name when other devices search for WiFi networks be ticking (hide) or unticking (show) the Hide my device tick box.
- Enter the preferred password for your WiFi network. Keep your password hard enough to be easily guessed but easy enough to be typed in using the mobile keyboard.
- 12You have just enabled WiFi Hotspot on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
Questions and Answers
Samsung hotspot / laptop connection?
Can't get my laptop to connect to Samsung hotspot though I see the network in Windows and when I enter the security key..won't recognize
- 1You can find this by pressing the Windows Key on your keyboard and going to the Troubleshooting option.Run your Internet Connectivity Troubleshooter for Windows.
- 2If you still can't connect after checking connectivity, then run a troubleshooter for your Network Adaptor.
- 3Make sure that you enabled to allow from all devices.From your mobile device, go to the Mobile and Hotspot menu.
- 4Find Change Adapter Options and then right click on Wireless Network Connections. Choose the Properties tab and select Configure>Advanced. Now you will enable 802.11n Preamble and set it to Mixed Mode.Finally, go to your computer's Network Settings.
S5 Verizon, S3 had a simple toggle to turn on and off without going to settings and digging for it. Can something be put on a homepage for easy toggle on off?
S5 VerizonS5 Verizon, S3 had a simple toggle to turn on and off without going to settings
Use and Edit the Quick Settings Options on Samsung Galaxy S5 is a VisiHow article which explains how to customize your Quick Settings on the Galaxy S5.
My S5 will not tether to a 2.4 GHz device?
The 2.4 GHz only devices will not even discover the S5 SSID while dual frequency devices will. Does the S5 only broadcast a 5 GHz tethering frequency? The T-Mobile store has no answer.
Set your WiFi Power Saving Mode on the S5 to OFF. This was a bug in S5 devices that caused interference with routers. While still in the WiFi advanced menu, choose Keep WiFi on during sleep.
How to use WiFi hotspot on Samsung Galaxy Ace GTS 5830i?
I can't use any WiFi connection on my phone for internet even when it is connected.
Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Wi-FI Network is a VisiHow article that can assist you with the proper settings for the Galaxy Ace. If you are unable to still hotspot then your carrier may not allow it without an additional service plan.
I'm trying to block all incoming calls so Hotspot doesn't get disabled?
Reject all calls does not do prevent that problem. They do go to VM, but the Hotspot gets disabled. I think it was caused by: It is like the phone has to take the call, so it can decide what to do with it. By that time it is too late. You would need a Galaxy S6 or other phone that has the technology to allow Voice Over LTE. It is just the way it is in that there is only one radio band in the device and it is either being used as a hotspot or receiving a phone call. Phone calls take priority. With the S6, you can toggle between the two options.
This is from AT&T (Samsung SM-G900A), with a full purchase and no contract. Unlocked so I can use local SIM in UK and Italy works fine. The phone can't connect to Google Play Store, hence no updates on any apps, plus some apps have been deleted and I can't download them?
This is from AT&T (Samsung SM-G900A), with a full purchase and no contract. Unlocked so I can use local SIM in UK and Italy works fine. The phone can't connect to Google Play Store, hence no updates on any apps, plus some apps have been deleted and I can't download them
Because you are using the phone in different countries, there are limits to what is available in Google Play. You can change your location settings to see if this makes a difference or try to update the Google Play app. One thing to try immediately is to go to Applications Manager and clear the data and cache from the Google Play app. Then reboot your phone and try again. This may remove any conflict leftover from swapping the SIM. You also will want to second check the APN settings on your device. Make sure they are setup properly for the new SIM card.
My former neighbor is in my network?
Even though my neighbor moved to another part of the city, he is still in my network. I closed down the internet service but he is still in my network. How do I delete him from a WiFi hotspot?
Install Fing Network Tools from Google Play. Run the app and you will see all the devices connected to your hotspot network. You can then tap on the neighbor's device information and block them from access to the network.
Is there any way to check and see if my hotspot was turned on August 24?
I want to find out if my hotspot was used and when. I have tried: Looking in settings. I think it was caused by: There isn't an option to check history of when hotspot was used
There are apps that can track your data in regards to hotspots but it will only track once installed. You could contact your cellular network provider and request the date and time for an uptick in data that is unusual or out of place and then compare to what you normally do. If you suspect someone is on your network then use the Fing app mentioned above.