Turn Your Samsung Galaxy S3 Into a WiFi Hotspot to Share Internet with Your Wireless Devices
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Eng, Lynn, Nuance
Beyond a shadow of doubt, smartphones have gone through the roof when it comes to gadget popularity. These portable gizmos, which were believed to have outsold both desktops and laptops by 2015, have really gotten past the limitations of yesterday's technology. Today, people can send messages, make phone calls, take photos, play music, watch movies, get directions, check emails, read books, and do countless other things in just a few swipes. The Samsung Galaxy S3, apart from offering all these functions to its users, has one very important feature that makes it a popular choice among consumers - the WiFi hotspot.
What Exactly is a WiFi Hotspot?
A WiFi hotspot is any device that grants internet access through a wireless network. WiFi hotspots have quickly grown in popularity worldwide. Today, WiFi hotspots can be found in all sorts of public places, like malls, coffee shops, restaurants, and even leisure parks. A WiFi hotspot, therefore, is nothing more than gadget that is capable of connecting devices to the Internet via a wireless network. This a feature that is easily found in most smartphones. --
Samsung Galaxy S3's WiFi Hotspot Feature
The WiFi hotspot functionality is one of the coolest and useful features of the Galaxy S3. By turning your S3 into a wireless access point, you can connect several wireless devices to it in just a matter of minutes. Essentially, your Galaxy S3 serves the same purpose as your modem/router at home, except that instead of having a hardwired connection, it uses the WiFi connection that you use when you're out surfing the Web. To turn your Samsung Galaxy S3 into a WiFi hotspot, simply follow the steps below. Think of an extension cord. It moves the electricity away from the wall, and you can plug several things into it.
Configuring Your Galaxy S3's WiFi Hotspot Feature
- 1From your home screen, tap Applications > Settings (looks like a gear sprocket) > More Settings > Tethering and Portable Hotspot.Advertisement
- 2Tap the "Configure Portable WiFi Hotspot" option, followed by the "Configure" option.Advertisement
- 3On the box below the Network SSID, delete the existing text, and then type in your preferred name for the hotspot (for example, "SamGalS3").
- 4Touch the "Password" box and clear the existing text.
- 5Key in your new password for the hotspot, then choose "Save". (Tip: Choose a really strong password that is difficult for others to guess. This helps to keep strangers from connecting to your wireless internet and at the same time prevents hackers from accessing your private information.)
- 6Tap the "Portable WiFi Hotspot" option.
At this point, your Samsung S3's WiFi hotspot feature is activated and other wireless devices such as laptops, gaming systems (Xbox, Wii, PSP), and tablets can connect to it.
Connecting Another Device to Your Samsung S3
At this point, the device is already connected to your Samsung Galaxy S3 (unless stated otherwise) and can now access the World Wide Web using your S3's Portable WiFi hotspot feature. Please note, however, that directions may vary as to how to connect to your S3 depending on the type of device you are trying to connect.
THIS WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY VERY QUICKLY - so plug in if you can.
There is no user reviews.