Turn Your Android Phone into a Webcam
Edited by Rose B, Lynn, Joely, Eng and 4 others
A webcam is very useful nowadays when conducting a video chat via Yahoo Messenger, Skype or Facebook. Unfortunately, this is not possible if you do not have a standalone webcam or a built-in webcam on your computer. Worry no more -- if you have an Android device with a camera and built-in WiFi, you can now turn it into a webcam.
What you need:
- 1Android phoneAdvertisement
- 3Two programs -- one for your PC and the other one for your Android device
- For your PC, download the IP Camera Adapter at http://ip-webcam.appspot.com/
- For your Android device, download IP Webcam from the Google Play store
- 1Download and install the IP Camera Adapter on your computer.
- 2Download and install IP Webcam on your Android device.
- 3Connect your computer and Android device on the same WiFi internet connection.
- 4On your home screen, go to "Apps", then open the IP Webcam App on your Android device.
- 5Open "Settings". Change the settings in accordance to your own preference. You can change the resolution, quality and frames per second. The higher settings you choose, the clearer the video that can be captured will be.
- 6You can also change the orientation, and the camera to be used. You can make use of your front camera instead of the main camera.
- 7Next, set your username and password so that others will not be able to gain access to your webcam.
- 8Click on "Start Server" and you have activated your webcam.
- 9Then go to your computer.
- 10Open "Configure IP Camera Adapter".
- 12Enter the username and password you have set up, and then click on "Auto Detect".
- 13Click on "OK" and you are ready to use it.
Use it on Skype:
- 1On your computer, open your Skype application.Advertisement
- 3Go to "Video settings" and select "MJPEG Camera".
TIPS and TRICKS
- Use lower settings on your Android device, like the resolution, quality and frames per second. The higher the quality, the more data will be needed to be transmitted, so you will need a faster connection for this. If you have a slow internet connection, you will experience lags.
- Using your Android device as a webcam consumes your battery quickly, so you have to keep it plugged in to have an uninterrupted video chat.
- You can make use of the front camera to have a lower resolution and faster connection.
- You can also make use of your Android Tablet with a camera and built-in WiFi.
- Author's experience.
- CNETTV, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRgnU51XYeo
Questions and Answers
I have a 9 year old child, and I want to be able to see from his Mobile?
My son is too hyper, and I need to monitor his position at all times. What can I do?
You could install a location tracking application, like GPS Tracking Pro, which is a free app, but offers in app purchase for added features. Using this you'll be able to track his location, but not see a video of him. Set up nanny cams or baby video monitors in rooms to see and hear what he is doing within the house.
Should you need additional assistance, please let us know in the Questions and Answers section below.
Categories : General Android Mobiles & Tablets
Recent edits by: rahman.khan025, Grimm, sagar_unknown