Troubleshoot iTunes Wi-Fi Syncing Problems
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Eng, Alma and 1 other
Note: WiFi syncing only works for iTunes version 10.5 and later. Update your iTunes to the latest version to use WiFi Syncing.
iTunes now allows you to sync your files between your computer and your iOS devices by using iTunes over WiFi connection. If you have problems on how to Manage Content on iOS Devices by WiFi syncing, then check on the recommendations below on how to fix possible issues. This VisiHow can help you if you cannot view your iOS device in iTunes via WiFi connection or experiencing lags and delays during the process.
Things to check
You need to check these pointers and see to it that they are properly set to solve any problems encountered with your iOS devices during WiFi syncing:
- 1WiFi syncing requires the following:Verify the system requirements.
- iOS device must be at least on iOS 5.
- Computer must have at least iTunes version 10.5 running on it.
- Both devices (iOS device and computer) must be connected on the same WiFi network.
- Computers running on Apple OS should be on OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Lion, or Snow Leopard (version 10.6.8)
- Computers running on Windows should be on Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
- Your devices (iOS, computer and iTunes) are updated.
- 2For you to sync files between your iOS device and your computer via WiFi, you need to set iTunes to enable WiFi syncing. To do that:Check if you have enabled WiFi Syncing.
- Connect both devices (iOS device and computer) by using the USB syncing cable.
- Open the iTunes software on your computer.
- On iTunes, select your iOS device located on the left side of the iTunes window (upper right on iTunes 11). Your iOS device will also appear on the side bar if you've expanded it on the View menu.
- Click on the Summary Tab
- You will be shown with a list of options, scroll down and look for the option "Sync with this iPad over WiFi" (iPad was used during the screenshot, it can be iPod or iPhone depending on your iOS device) . Click on the tick box on it to enable WiFi syncing. Click Apply button.
- 3Restart your iOS device and your computer if the problem persists.Close iTunes and open it again.
- 4Do a power cycle by turning off your router, disconnecting all the cables and wait for a minute before connecting them again. Try to reset your modem too to start it fresh. This process solves most of the connectivity issues.Restart your WiFi router and network.
- 5The feature (WiFi syncing) needs a WiFi network with an internet connection. Make sure that both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. Also check on these:Verify your network connection.
- Verify that none of your devices are using VPN as VPN interferes with your network configurations.
- There is no security configuration within your network that restricts WiFi connectivity. If possible, temporarily disable your anti-virus or set iTunes to the exemptions.
- Do not connect the computer via Ethernet. Computer must be on WiFi too.
- Computer must not be on sleep mode. WiFi syncing requires that PC needs to be awake.
- Make sure that iTunes is running on your computer. You cannot use WiFi syncing if your iTunes is not opened.
- Make sure that your WiFi router is updated.
- 6If you have an intermittent or too slow connection, check for items that may cause these abnormal signals. If possible, move these items away from the router and your device. These items include:Check any object near you that causes network interference.
- microwave ovens
- phones (cordless)
- distance from your router to your iOS device
- 7Like most connectivity problems, your firewall may be blocking any communication over WiFi. You can temporarily turn off firewall or set it so as to allow connection between your computer and your iOS device.Check your firewall.
- Should you have more concerns or questions, let us know by dropping a note on the comment section.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Apple
Recent edits by: Alma, Eng, Charmed