Take Care of a Cracked Tooth
Edited by Diana, Eng, Maria Quinney, Alma
It tends to be common for us to not consider the care of our teeth as a priority. They are, after all, the strongest substance in our bodies because of the enamel covering. However, that does not mean that they do not need looking after. Having white teeth does not necessarily mean that they are in the condition that they should be. You want them to be clean but most importantly strong and in one piece. Consider this, without healthy teeth you would not be able to show off that beautiful smile of yours, talk to your friends or enjoy your favorite meals. Some things should always be fundamental in our daily lives, which includes brushing, flossing, and routine visits to your dentist. Smoking is also something we should try and stay away from, it can eventually cause gum disease. It may sound simple, but following these steps can save you a lot of money and pain. With our busy schedules, it may not be easy to attend the first appointment available at your dentist office. But really try and make the time to take care of yourself, and that set of teeth.
Things to avoid during our day to day basis
There can be many things that can harm our teeth, for example, not having visits to your dentist, and not brushing or flossing your teeth. You may feel like missing a brush or floss a few times a week is nothing, but a very big mistake is made when they are not followed. It can cause a gum infection, cavities, disease-causing bacteria, and inflammation. It is easier than we think to damage our teeth. Let's learn a little bit more about it.
- 1I'm sure many of you attempted to show off a couple times and tried opening up a beer bottle with your teeth; probably not a good idea. We have to understand that our teeth are not made of steel. Even chewing ice, hard candy or nuts can cause serious damage to our teeth. Other foods that cause damage are coffee, citrus, soda, and potato chips among others.Bad Habits.
- 2When you combine hot and cold temperatures it wears away the enamel layer. That layer plays an enormous role in our teeth that prevents them from hurting when you eat your favorite ice cream, have a nice cup of tea, or simply out on vacation and you breathe-in the cold air. No one wants that type of discomfort. I can hear my mother emphasizing on not consuming hot food and then drinking ice water, now I understand why.Extreme Temperatures.
- 3Always wear a mouth guard when participating in contact sports, this includes hockey, boxing,martial arts,basketball,and football.Cracked teeth occur as a result of trauma.Children and adults can easily crack a tooth by tripping or taking an elbow to the face. If you think that your shoes feel loose, then think about a thicker pair of socks or not wearing them. We can enjoy our favorite sport and play hard but lets keep our teeth safe!Playing Sports.
Symptoms that you may have a cracked tooth
- Pain when you are chewing or biting
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Bad breath
- Tooth loss
- Pain that is not there permanently but only comes at certain times of the day.
Unfortunately, sometimes there are no symptoms at all, and that's why it is so important to have regular dental checkups.
- 1Seems a bit extreme right? Well, it's not. Everything you just read is the path to getting there. Cracked tooth syndrome is known as CTS, split tooth syndrome or incomplete fracture of posterior teeth, basically, means that your tooth is cracked but a piece of the actual tooth still has not broken off. It is extremely important to catch the crack of the tooth before it reaches the gum line.If you do these things long enough you will end up with a cracked tooth.
- 2As soon as you feel pain when you are chewing food or gum, you must visit your dentist. He will be able to treat it before it gets to the point where you completely have to extract the tooth.Non-treatable are the cracked teeth that were not taken care of when the crack begun, so it continues off to the root.
- 3Depending on the position of the crack that will determine If any piece of it can be maintained, in some rare cases possibly some gum surgery and a crown can be used to keep a portion of the tooth.A split tooth is the consequence of a long term cracked tooth, and unfortunately it can't be saved intact.
- 4The pain is often very mild. Endodontic therapy is required when the pulp (inside the dentin, it contains the nerves and the vessels) is damaged to the point where it cannot repair itself, and a crown will be placed to help protect the tooth and replace the fractured piece.Fractured Cusps means that the top of the tooth (chewing surface) has been damaged or broken off.
- 5The pain for this fracture is not noticeable right away, people become aware of this when the bone around the tooth or gum becomes infected. It can include the whole root or only a part of it, as well as it could also be one or both sides of the root.Vertical Fracture is when the fracture begins at the root of the tooth and it works its way up to the surface of the tooth.
Before arriving at the Endodontist (Specialist in finding where the tooth pain is located) office you can:
- 1Cleanse your mouth with lukewarm water
It has been proven that unhealthy gums can increase the chances of suffering diabetes, heart diseases among other illness. We have to take care of our mouth with responsibility and make its health a priority. Follow a nutritious diet, brushing three times a day, and flossing. It is highly recommended to visit your dentist for cleaning as well. Making an appointment on time will bring you the benefit of avoiding infections or very uncomfortable pains.
- It will depend on the location, type of crack and how bad the condition of the tooth already is.
- If the cracking started from the root and was not looked at by a dentist immediately, it will most likely be taken out completely, and replaced by a prosthesis.
- If the top of your tooth is cracked, that can be easily fixed by adding a filling or a crown to the affected area.
- It has been stated that cracks that damage the pulp of the root will almost always need a root canal or a crown.
- It is possible for us to be confused and think our teeth are cracked when they are not, there is a very common symptom in adults called Craze lines. They are harmless, they are very shallow lines on your teeth and all they cause is bad aspect of your teeth. They cause absolutely no pain.
- Even though the craze lines are harmless, unless they are causing cavities, you can still get rid of them. There are two options.
- You can try teeth whitening, most of the time craze lines become noticeable because they are discolored.
- You can also cover them with cosmetic bonding, it is the same exact coloring used for tooth colored fillings.
- 1You must be considerate and aware that due to the anesthetist that you have been provided, you will not be able to continue with your normal eating habits for a few hours. #Once the effect of the anesthesia goes away you can enjoy a nice dinner and forget that you ever went through a painful process like this. But you cannot push yourself to be back to normal immediately. Everything is a process and it takes time to get there.Once you have visited your dentist you have to keep a few things in mind and they should be mentioned to you at the end of your appointment.
- 2So let's keep our teeth clean and well taken care of!Surgery can be expensive if needed, and it's something that we don't really enjoy.