Take Advantage of the Red Raspberry Leaf During Pregnancy
Edited by Deepthi Gottumukkala, Eng, Lynn
Red raspberry leaf, an herb extracted from the leaves of the red raspberry plant, has been used for its medical benefits since centuries, dating back to ancient Romans and Greeks. Well known for its power to cure heart, gum, and respiratory diseases, it also provides numerous benefits for pregnant women.
Benefits of red raspberry leaf for pregnant women:
- 2Treats flu, diarrhea, stomach problems and acne.
- 3Increases fertility.
- 4Improves mother's immune system.
- 5Eases morning sickness.
- 6Promotes better blood circulation.
- 7Reduces incidence of birth interventions.
- 8Mother is less likely to experience an artificial rupture of membranes.
- 9Tones the uterus and, thereby, creates a relaxed uterus, which prevents miscarriages and postpartum hemorrhage.
- 10Improves chances of natural delivery rather than a caesarean section.
- 11Helps uterus to function without tension and more effectively during labor, thus, leading to an easy delivery.
- 12Reduces pain during labor and after birth.
- 13Helps in production of breast milk.
Usage of red raspberry leaf for pregnant women:
Most pregnant women like to take in red raspberry leaf as herbal tea. This tea can be purchased in the loose-leaf form or else, tea bags are also readily available.
If you do not like the taste of tea, you could also use red raspberry leaf tablets which are available in the market.
Preparation of red raspberry herbal tea:
- 4Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- 5Remove tea infuser with tea leaves or tea bag.
In general, red raspberry leaf does not have many side-effects. Used from centuries, it has proven to be one of the best herbs for pregnant women. But, as there are always exceptions, and in some cases it may show some side-effects. These possible side-effects can be:
- 2Loosening of stools
- 3Increase in Braxton Hicks contractions
Avoid red raspberry leaf if you:
- 1Once had a short labor of three hours or less.
- 2Previously had a caesarean section or are planning to have one.
- 3Had a premature labor before.
- 4Have had vaginal bleeding since week 20.
- 5Have high blood pressure.
- 6Have suffered from breast or ovarian cancer, fibroids or endometriosis or have a family history of the same.
- 7Are expecting twins.
- 8Have had any kind complications in your pregnancy.
If you are planning to take red raspberry leaf during your pregnancy, it is always best to inform your doctor or health care provider.
Tips and Warnings:
- 1It is recommended not to begin the intake of red raspberry leaf until you are at least 32 weeks pregnant.
- 2You can then continue to take it until the end of the pregnancy and also continue it after birth if desired.
- 3Start by drinking your tea, one cup a day, and slowly increase this up to three cups.
- 4If you want to take capsules, follow the recommended dosage instructions provided on the label or consult your health provider.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Pregnancy
Recent edits by: Eng, Deepthi Gottumukkala