Stud and Color Block Your Clutch
Edited by Rowan, Rebecca M., Lynn, Eng
Having a variety of casual and classic fashion items is what women want, because women need a way to have their style pop through on every occasion. Nothing makes the outfit speak loudly like a really special sharp clutch. This is especially true if it is a color block studded clutch, which is a fashion item that will blend well with your outfit while still being eye-catching. You may buy a lot of clutches or bags, only to become bored with them or have them go out of style. Then all those clutches end up in the back of your closet, which makes them the perfect items to redesign with colors and studs. This article will show you in detail how to color block your clutch and frame it with studs. In a few easy steps you can transform your old dull clutch into a new and interesting one that will be great for cocktail parties, dates, or a night out with the girls.
- 1To make your studded color block clutch, you will need the following items:Advertisement
- The old clutch you will redesign.
- Acrylic paint in two different contrasting colors (It is better to have your clutch with you to make sure that they match your clutch while contrasting with it, and it is good to have one subtle color and another one that is vibrant.)
- Studs in the color of your choice, like gold or silver (The squared studs make a better choice because they can be glued into a pattern easily, without leaving gaps in between.)
- Duct tape.
- Paintbrush or paint sponge brush
- 2The clutch should be dry, so if you are going to wash your clutch, make sure it is completely dry before you start working on it with the paint.The first thing you will need to do, is clean your clutch with a dry cloth, to remove any dust that may ruin the paint or clump while you're painting.Advertisement
- 3Measure the part you want to paint horizontally, and then cover its edges that you want remain unpainted with duct tape, for well defined horizontal color blocks. Mask it well with the duct tape, leaving no spaces between the clutch's leather and the duct tape. This way, you can avoid any paint running, which will cause uneven colored edges. Add another strip of duct tape in the middle of the clutch, and make it intersect with the horizontal color block you will paint, to make the letter T. This middle strip of duct tape is for covering up the vertical stripe you will later paint with a different color.After you have cleaned your clutch, you can start masking your clutch with the duct tape.
- 4Keep in mind that the paint sponge brush will be the better choice to avoid having prints of the paintbrush strokes on your clutch's color block. Now, start painting the dark subtle shade of the acrylic paint as the horizontal color blocks. It is OK if you the paint gets on the duct tape; that is why you used duct tape in the first place - to have perfect straight and defined color edges.Grab your paintbrush or paint sponge brush, whichever you prefer using.
- 5Then after the second layer dries, remove the duct tape. Now, you will have two blocks of the same color that are intersected, with an unpainted space in the middle. You will connect them with the vibrant color you picked. Therefore, you will cover both sides of the middle line that you will paint vertically across your clutch with duct tape, and try to be as accurate as you can by making the duct tape cover the edges of the color blocks you painted earlier.Leave the paint to dry well, and if you feel like it needs another coat of paint, then paint another layer after the first one dries completely.
- 6If the color of your clutch is dark, and the color of the paint is bright, then you may need more than one coat. However, before painting another coat, you will need to leave the first one to dry well.Start painting the vertical line with your vibrant colored paint, using a clean paintbrush or paint sponge brush.
- 7If you find a space of unpainted clutch's leather between the horizontal color blocks and the stripe, don't panic, and don't paint it. You will just cover it with the studs.Leave the paint to dry, and then peel off the duct tape.