Stream from computer to TV using a PS3
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Eng, Maria Quinney, Alma
As if you weren't having enough fun playing the recently released Play Station 3 games, such as Grand Theft Auto V or Tales of Xillia, you can use your PS3 for even more entertainment. With a few choice settings, software, and steps you can enjoy streaming photos, music and videos by using your PS3 to stream from a computer to your TV. Depending whether you have a personal computer or Mac, you will :
- 1Set up your Play Station 3Advertisement
- 2Set up your Personal ComputerAdvertisement
- 3Set up your Computer (Mac)
- 4Stream Media
- 5Set up your Play Station 3 in two steps:
- Ensure that your Play Station is connected by an ethernet cord or wireless on the same network as your computer. It is easy to check this: Just go to Settings > Network Settings.
- Next, go to Settings > Network Settings > Media Server Connection on the PS3, then make sure that it is Enabled.
- 6Set up your Personal Computer in three steps:
- If you do not have it already, download - install the most recent Windows Media Player.
- Add folders that you want your PS3 to access by going to: Library > Add to Library. If you have any music, videos, or photos in personal folders, they will be selected by default. You will have to manually add other folders.
- Go to Library > Media Sharing to check your "Share Media". Press "OK". Give it a minute to run through a device check. Play Station 3 will eventually pop up in a list of devices. Click "PS3", "Allow", then "OK".
- 7Set up your Computer (Mac) in six steps
- Download- install the free PS3 Media Server. It will link your Play Station 3 to your computer.
- Connect your Mac to the same network as the PS3.
- Next go to Navigation/Share Settings. At the top of the page in Thumbnails, uncheck all checked entries. At the bottom of the page, you can add all folders that you want to access with your PS3. It is suggested to add shortcuts to all your transferred personal folders.
- Go to Transcoding Settings. If your internet connection is strong, keep your bandwidth at 0. If weak, you must then set the bandwidth to no more than 14 or 15.
- For best audio, go to "Number of audio channels" settings. Have your audio set at "Surround Sound" or "Stereo".
- At the top of the display, hit Save > Restart HTTP Connection.
- 8Stream Media
At your Play Station 3, go to Photos, Videos, or Music tabs. You must be in each section respectively, to enjoy it. Ergo, to see photos you must go to the Photos Section, etc.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- To copy Photos, Videos and Music onto your PS3, Hit the TRIANGLE button. Then select Copy.
- If you would like to listen to music as a background during another operation, just hit the PS3 "home button".
- Hit the TRIANGLE button if you want more viewing options while looking at photos.
Categories : PS & PSP
Recent edits by: Maria Quinney, Eng, Jerry Rivers