Store Files Online Using Microsoft SkyDrive
Edited by Clifford, Innocent Yogo, Alma, Eng
We used to store our files on our trusted computer or in a removable recordable media or hard disk. However, there comes a time when we least expect it when our hard drive bogs down or the removable media wherein we stored our most precious files become corrupted. Thanks to new technology that now we can save and store our digital files somewhere in the web or what we simply called cloud storage. There are numerous cloud storage services that one can avail to. The most popular being the drop box, which is one of the first ones. Then there is Google Drive and iCloud which has a large user base. Another interesting cloud service is that of Microsoft's SkyDrive. It has a starting storage of 7GB free, and if this is not enough for you then you could add additional storage for an annual fee. What is great about this app is that it is pre-installed on the newest Microsoft OS which is Windows 8. But it is also available for download to different platforms such as Android and iOS. If ever your device does not support the SkyDrive app, you could still access your files by using your standard web browser. Here is a short tutorial on how to start using this awesome application.
- 1Go to SkyDrive homepage and download the SkyDrive application from the site. Take note that you must have a Microsoft account.Advertisement
- 2The SkyDrive Installer will prompt you to enter your Windows Live ID; you can register free if you don't already have one.Advertisement
- 3A SkyDrive folder will be created in your user folder, and visible in the Favorites list in Windows Explorer. Any files placed in this folder will be automatically uploaded to SkyDrive, with a progress indicator available in the notification area.
- 4Once they have been successfully uploaded in the cloud, the files in your SkyDrive folders are automatically synced with all your other devices on which SkyDrive is installed. Two folders are set up by default, but you can create more if you needed to.
- 5If you are using a computer that does not have the SkyDrive software installed, e.g. Window XP or Linux. You can even stream music and video files via the browser as long as you have a fast internet connection.
- 6Microsoft's Web Apps are available to the online version of SkyDrive. Just click one of the icons near the top of the screen to create and edit a Word, Excel, PowerPoint or One Note document in your browser. Office does need to be installed in the PC.
- 7To share documents through SkyDrive; right-click any file in the browser view and select Share. Next, email the provided link to a friend or colleague whom you want to share the document. If you want them to be able to work on the document, you have to enable the option that the recipient can edit.
- 8SkyDrive allows you to retrieve any file from your computer - even those not located on your SkyDrive Folder, provided that the computer is switched on and have an internet connection. To do this you have to click on your computer on the list on the left and enter the security code that was sent to you via email.
- 9You can access your SkyDrive files from your Windows Phone, iOS devices and Android devices, the application could also browse, download and streams files from your computer.
Neat ways to use SkyDrive
SkyDrive is one of the most popular cloud service that has become very useful in different areas of our lives even as we embrace the new technology of storing and sharing files. It can be applied everywhere to help us protect, share and disseminate information. For instance, it can be used in our businesses to share the business documents amongst the business members, in work places for storing and sharing needed files and even in our social lives to share files amongst friends and relatives. Let us look at these important ways of making use of SkyDrive.
- 1SkyDrive can be used neatly in companies to share files among colleagues - In a department where a group of employees share some information, they can easily make use of SkyDrive as their safe way of storing files and sharing them amongst themselves. In this case, even when the system is corrupted and hard drives have failed then the group will still be able to access the files and get the needed information for the work to continue through SkyDrive.Advertisement
- 2It can also be used in Work places to store important files - Every work place can make use of this technology to store their precious files that may get corrupted and lead them to serious Information problems. You can decide to store these important documents in SkyDrive as an individual employee or as a whole company depending on how important the files are to you and to the company you are working with.
- 3SkyDrive promotes a fast working environment hence saving time - With the SkyDrive, there is a real working environment where workers can easily share the documents and enable the recipient to work on them even as they check and make the changes to the documents in real time. Someone can make amendments and share with a colleague easily making the work easy and fast.
- 4SkyDrive can be used to share Music and video amongst friends. If you are a fun of videos and music and you like to share with your friends then this can be the best alternative for you to get the music and videos files through SkyDrive by accessing them even through your window phone, Android or even through the iOS devices depending on the one that is most convenient for you. You can also share your holiday pictures and videos as well as other music selections with your friends and family.
- 5SkyDrive can be used by programmers to store and share files with detailed programming work - With this technology, you are very sure of the safety of your files and they cannot get corrupted when your computer's hard drive bogs down and the whole system gets corrupted. It is one of the safest ways of saving your important files. It is also very good when it comes to sharing the files with other programmers.
- 6SkyDrive promotes leisure and recreation in our social lives through streaming music and video - You are able to stream your music and video files via your browser if you have a fast internet connection. This will enable you to enjoy your favorite videos and music with ease especially during your leisure time.
Tips Tricks and Warnings
- You have to enable an option for the recipient to edit the file if you want them to make some changes to the file you share with them through SkyDrive
- SkyDrive has up to 7GB free storage capacity and you can also add some additional storage if you need more but you will be required to pay some annual fee.
- With SkyDrive, you can retrieve any file from your computer even those that are not located in your SkyDrive folder
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Alma, Innocent Yogo, Clifford