Stop Smoking Through Self Hypnosis
Edited by Maureen D., Lynn, Mac Evans Cerrillo, Alma and 2 others
Cigarette smoking is a bad habit to break. Its health effects are well known for the smokers, but still, it is very difficult to just quit this addictive practice. However, some have tried to stop smoking cigarettes, only to find themselves getting back to the feel good effect of nicotine on the brain after a short time. But there are some people who have been successful in getting over this bad habit by seeking medication and therapy, which prove to be effective to some. One of the ways to help quit smoking for good is through self-hypnosis. It is a form of hypnosis which is self induced, and it is also called "auto-hypnosis". Hypnosis is often misunderstood by many as an unconscious state, but it is not. This is actually done when a person is fully awake, when the mind is fully alert to what is going on in their surroundings. In this awake state, the mind is also more open to suggestions, depending on the issues to be fixed - suggestions that are induced by the hypnotist through a procedure called hypnotic induction. Hypnotherapy is a method wherein hypnosis is used as a therapy. In self hypnosis, no hypnotist will be inducing suggestions. A self-induced state involving only self suggestions. This procedure brings the person to a completely tranquil state of mind, which is very open to suggestions that you will induce to yourself. These suggestions will be based on your resolution to stop the bad habit.
Steps in performing self hypnosis
Before doing this, you have to encourage yourself toward a better and healthier lifestyle and you will benefit from doing this. Realize the goals that you want to achieve and you will never go wrong!
- 1The most important requirement to be able to do this is to find some place really quiet and calm, and you should be all by yourself; as the last thing you need is to be distracted by someone or something else while you are at it.Advertisement
- 2Sit or lie down, close your eyes and try to be very relaxed, concentrate on your breathing, have a mindset of what you really want to achieve, forget all of your worries, and just let your thoughts wander off. Think of the rustling waves in the ocean - the sound it makes. If you are having a hard time doing it, count from 1, think of being relaxed each number and think of being relaxed by the time you count to 20. Feel the waves washing away all of the tension in your body, and the stress going out of it. Think of the stress from your head being washed out all the way down to your arms, torso, legs, and feet. Do this repeatedly until you feel really tranquil and you feel your muscles relax and your mind become peaceful.Advertisement
- 3At this point, you can now induce self suggestions. Think of the advantages and benefits of living a smoke-free life, things like your heart rate and blood pressure dropping back to their normal level, the oxygen level in your blood increases, lower heart attack risk, emphysema and COPD free life. Make your subconscious mind accept all of these suggestions. Simply let go and feel free.
- 4After you accept the auto suggestions, you can now come out of the calm state of mind very slowly. You can also count from 1 to help you get back. You are done with a session of self hypnosis, but it does not mean that doing so, will make you stop the bad habit right away. You have to do it often, to help yourself to overcome this addiction. Determination also plays an important role in this. You will notice the good effect of this method, overcoming the urge for getting a nicotine high will be achieved eventually. You will never have to worry about the nicotine withdrawal symptoms, as it is absolutely nothing compared to the ill effects associated with cigarette smoking.
- Keep yourself busy all the time to divert the urges.
- Eat healthily and drink a lot of fluids.
- Get regular massage, and enroll yourself in yoga after you quit smoking.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Brush your teeth, chew gum or eat some candy if you feel an urge to smoke after meals.
Questions and Answers
Self hypnosis to be done cooking with tobacco?
Are you saying that you are using a tobacco while cooking? If that's the case then you should think of something else instead of having some tobacco. In example you could think that the persons that will eat the food that you are cooking get spilled with ashes and it can make your dish awful. Then conclude that in order to avoid that you need not to use tobacco while cooking.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Alma, Mac Evans Cerrillo