Share music using iTunes home share
Edited by Ephraim, Charmed, Eng
This article will be on how to share music between two computers by using iTunes Home Share. A lot of users love to share music amongst their friends but have to take the route of copying it to another device in order to share them with but there is an easier way to do this in a matter of seconds. This can be a great use to share all types of media ranging from music, videos, TV show and etc. This also saves money for if one person has purchased something special it can be shared with another easily to save the new user of the media money from separate purchase.
- 1Upon opening your iTunes program you will then need to go to your iTunes tab and locate your preference button in order to change some of the settings to successfully perform the action of moving your media to the next computer.Log into your computer and open up your iTunes program.
- 2If you are looking to share an exact Once you have successfully check these boxes go to the bottom of the window and click the okay button to continue on to the next steps.After you have clicked the preferences button locate the tab that says "Sharing" and from there check the box that indicates that you want to look for shared libraries and also check the box that states that you will like to share my library on my local network.
- 3On both computers locate the advanced option at the top of the screen and click on this option to open up the menu and click on the "turn on home sharing", do this for both of the computers so that both computers will be open to share their content amongst each other.From here get both of the computers that wish to share using iTunes and open both iTunes programs.
- 4Ensure that both users enter their name and password for their separate accounts and after that is done that they both click on the button that says create home share, once this is done iTunes will ask for your final confirmation on the action. Once you have finished in home sharing you will see a notice that will tell you that your home sharing is on along with your email address and other information letting you know that your home sharing is fully activated.Click on the "turn on home sharing" option and you will open another menu that asks you to enter your user name and password associated with your iTunes account.
- 5The display will show the name of the other person's library along with their name and a triangle shaped icon to the left of their name. Simply click on the triangle near the other owners name to open up their shared folder of music that they have made available and from here you can simply view all their music that they have made available in order to make your selection.Go back to the main screen of iTunes and look on your side bar under shared and you should see the other person who is around you to share your music.
- 6If you want to make this action quicker you can open up multiple iTunes Windows in order to make the transfer smoothly. Understand that the choices that you have from the other library is only what the other owner has made available to you just like in step 2, so if there is a specific thing that you want let the other know for they may have not made it available to be shared.Pick which songs you want and drag the music from the other owners library over to your own library to transfer the music over to your iTunes library.
- 7You will only need to simply go to the advanced options at the top of your iTunes library window and go to the option that allows you to cut the home sharing off and now your iTunes library will be private from anyone taking your music out of your library and also any other type of media.When you are done using this and want to close this operation from happening again without your knowledge.
Tips & Warnings
- You can only perform this option when both computers are a certain distance from each other so ensure that they are close enough to pick up each other's signal.
- Before attempting this operation make sure that you have all your necessary log in information for iTunes.
- You can only share between five computers so do not be alarmed if your PC does not allow you to share with any network with over four other users.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Noindexed pages | Apple
Recent edits by: Charmed, Ephraim