Setup and Use Google Home As a Smart Home Assistant
Edited by Kunjay Vyas, Alma, Eng, Maria Quinney
"Google Home", the name itself expresses a sense of ease and that's true. The device was released in March 2015 as a response to Amazon's Echo and has ever since performed very well, by following this simple guide you will be able to setup your "Google Home" as your very smart and loyal home assistant.
- 1 Setting up "Google Home"
- 2 Using "Google Home" as a Smart Home Assistant
- 3 Connecting "Google Home" with SmartThings
- 4 Sample phrases
- 5 Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- 6 Comments
Setting up "Google Home"
- 2As soon as the device completes booting up, it will automatically revert to the "Google Home" app.Plug in the power outlet and wait until the device boots up automatically.
- 5Wait for a few moments until the app finds your "Google Home", once it has, clicks continue then it will connect to the Google Home's temporary hotspot.
- 6Once connected, play the test sound in order to verify that it is connected to the right unit, then click "I heard it".
- 7The Home has a selection of rooms to pick from for your unit's name, if you want to use a custom name then type your own desired name. Then tap "Continue:.Select a name for your "Google Home".
- 8Choose a WiFi network that you want to connect to, enter the password and tap Continue.
- 9When properly connected to WiFi network, the "Google Home" will look for a Software Update which is essential, so do not skip that part.
- 10After the update is complete, click sign and add your Google Account to use your "Google Home" as a smart assistant.
- 11Make sure to use your main Google Account because "Google Home" needs to access your personal information like Calendar, Google Keep and much more to be efficient as an assistant.
- 13It is now ready to be turned into a smart home assistant.
Using "Google Home" as a Smart Home Assistant
This section contains very important steps to make the "Google Home" a smart assistant. Before implementing any further steps you should know that the entire top of the device is a touch surface.
The meaning of the Light Dots on the top surface is explained in the following photo.
- 1The services which are provided by Google, like Play Music, YouTube Red will be linked automatically. Tap the "link" button to connect to the services like Pandora or Spotify and click the blue dot on the left of the service you want to use as a default service.In order for Google Home's Music functions to work properly you need to link up your services.
- 2Sign up for email updates on new "Google Home" and Google Assistant features by swiping right on the toggle next to Get email notifications, tap "Continue".
- 3Then you can say whatever you need like, "OK Google, How is the traffic today".You can ask "Google Home" to get any information you want, "OK Google" is the keyword that activates the device.
Connecting "Google Home" with SmartThings
Using the SmartThings with the Google Assistant requires either "Google Home" or a Google Pixel Device. We are going to use "Google Home".
- 1Install the SmartThings app on your smartphone, then create an account.
- To switch accounts, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the account name, and tap home control.
- In the Home Control, Tap "Rooms".
- Tap the plus icon at the bottom right.
- Select a room to add.
- To add a room that's not listed, tap Custom Room at the bottom. Tap Done.
- Tap the Devices tab, select a device you want to assign to a room
- Tap Room. Select the room you would like to assign the device to.
- To add more rooms, tap the back arrow and repeat the process.
Compatible Smart Home Devices
- 1Proprietors have the choice of approaching Google for a temperature perusing, or instructing it to wrench the warmth up or around (or to) a particular sum.Nest Thermostats.Nest really offers a few savvy gadgets other than indoor regulators, however until further notice, Google Home just controls the temperature in a home.
- 2Google Home is no exemption. It offers the capacity to turn lights on or off all through a house utilizing Google Home, and the alternative of changing their splendor. With the expansion of a Google OnHub switch, clients have the entrance to control the lights from about each web associated contraption in their home.Philips Hue Lighting.Philips dependably remained to a great degree dynamic in the brilliant home part, having made its Hue lights good with pretty much every gadget out there.
- 3At this moment, the rundown incorporates a few shrewd lights "� which let you turn on and off, or light up and diminish to your loving "� alongside a reiteration of movement sensors, which consolidate with IFTTT to extraordinary impact. Also, joining Google Home with a SmartThings Hub stipends access to a veritable buffet of gadgets.Samsung SmartThings.The SmartThings group of gadgets isn't really extensive yet every passage features similarity with Google Home.
- 4Verse indoor regulators and other Honeywell offerings require a good savvy center point to an interface. In any case, hello, indoor regulators!Honeywell.In spite of the fact that Honeywell gloats an immeasurable gathering of items, starting at right now, Google Home just remains straightforwardly perfect with the Total Connect Comfort line of indoor regulators.
- 5Without a center point, clients stay restricted to some keen attachments and switches, however, this most likely offers a superior use with IFTTT bolster.Belkin WeMo.With a perfect center point (otherwise known as SmartThings), the whole WeMo group of gadgets highlight controllable capacities by means of Google Home.
For lights and switch devices
Note: You can use "OK Google" or "Hey Google"
- OK Google, turn on/off all lights.
- OK Google, turn on/off all switches.
- OK Google, turn on/off everything in the kitchen.
- OK Google, dim/brighten the lights in the living room. (This will adjust the brightness by 20%)
- OK Google, set the bedroom light to 10%. (Brightness can be modified on a scale of 0-100%.)
- OK Google, dim/brighten the bathroom light by 50%.
- OK Google, turn lights in the game room green.
- OK Google, turn on/off everything.
For thermostat device
- OK Google, set the living room thermostat to 70.
- OK Google, turn the thermostat up/down 5 degrees.
- OK Google, make it warmer/cooler. (This will adjust the temperature by 2 degrees.)
- OK Google, turn on the heat/cooling. (This will change the mode and/or turn the thermostat on)
- OK Google, turn the thermostat to heat-cool mode.
- OK Google, turn off the thermostat.
- OK Google, what's the temperature inside?
- OK Google, what's the thermostat set to?
Step by step instructions to Mute Google Home
- On the off chance that you have a quiet the Google home play Music or whatever other motivation to off and take a rest then you can utilize the Google home "Quiet Button" and simply tap this catch and Google Assistant will state to the "Microphone off"
- Presently Google home won't allow any inquiries to answer it. All Activity will be Mute in the Google Assistant.
- Presently how to unmute Google Home here you can simply observe the Google Home Mute Button tap and unmute your Google home. What's more, Google associate will state "Amplifier On."
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- The Google Assistant recognizes "lights," "switches," and "outlets" as different kinds of devices. i.e., if you say, "OK Google, turn on the lights," it will turn on smart light bulbs but may not turn on smart switches that are connected to lamps or other lighting fixtures. To control those switches, add the word "light" to the name or nickname of the device.
- We are not responsible for any loss or damage that is caused to your device, the above procedures are strictly for educational purposes.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.