Scan a Computer with Microsoft Security Essentials
Edited by Thor, Crystal, Eng
Hello and welcome to VisiHow. Today I'm going to show you how to perform a security scan on your HP 210 or 110 Notebook.
- 2In our hidden icons, we have a green castle with a checkmark. The green castle means it's OK. This how to get to your security settings. If it's not green then it means that you're not secured and you're unprotected. There's a problem you need to address. Click on the icon then click Open.Click on that and it will show hidden icons.
- 6Here it allows you to run a scheduled scan on your PC, which is recommended. You can choose a time, I'm going to choose Sunday at 4pm. At 4pm on Sunday there will be an automatic quick scan. There's also other options like checking for the latest virus and spyware definitions before running a scheduled scan, you should always have this box checked because it will allow your computer to scan for the latest viruses so it knows what it's looking for. Start the scheduled scan only when my PC is on but not in use, so it will only scan when you're not using the PC. Limit CPU usage during a scan, this means that your computer will not be using its full capacity and you will still be able to use it for other things when it's doing a security scan.Moving on to Settings.
- 7You can actually scan a USB flash drive which is very useful to make sure there are no viruses on your USB stick. I'm going to check that box because this feature is useful, then I'm going to click save changes. It's going to ask me if I'd like to authorize this, I'm going to say yes.There are some other options as well on the side which you can click on like Advanced.
- 8If you hover over an option it will give you an explanation. Quick scan checks the areas that malicious software, including viruses, spyware, and unwanted software, are most likely to infect. A full scan will scan your entire computer and will take a long time, up to several hours, so you need to give it time.We're going to go back to home and choose between a quick scan, full scan, and custom.
- 9The progress bar is moving very quickly. It tells you the time elapsed, items scanned and the item it's scanning. Quick scan is remarkably fast compared to full scan. This may only take several minutes or more depending on the size of your computer and how much information you have on it.I'm going to go with quick scan, now I will click Scan now.
- 11If you have any questions or comments leave them in the section below. Thank you for choosing VisiHow.This is how to perform a scan on your HP 210 or 110 Notebook.
Video: Scan a Computer with Microsoft Security Essentials
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Microsoft Suites
Recent edits by: Crystal, Thor