Scan Photos with Your Smartphone
Edited by Mohsin, Lynn, Eng, Christine dela Cruz
While you cannot use your phone as a scanner like you can use one with PC, there is a way you can use your phone to scan your photos. Cameras on modern smartphones take such good quality photos, that you can take a picture of your developed photos using your smartphone cam, and then transfer them to your PC using a USB cable. You can then do a lot of editing on the photos too, to make them look even better.
- 1Open the camera app in your smartphone.
- 2Put the photo in front of your camera.
- 3Turn off the flash.
- 4(Do not shake the camera while taking the photo.)Press the shutter button to take the photo.
- 5Using photo editing software like Pixlr Express, you can apply a lot of filters and effects to make your photo even better.
- 6Transfer the photo using the USB cable to PC.
- 7You can scan as many photos as you want.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Do not zoom while scanning photos.
- Make sure that there is a lot of light, but that the photo is not directly facing the light.
- Do not get too close or go too far away from the photo.
- Avoid hand shakes by standing or sitting steadily as you take the picture.
- Convert it to PDF in case you would like your photos to appear like a document.
What Types of Things You Can Scan with Your Smartphone
You can basically scan any photo or document with your smartphone, as long as it can be captured by the camera. Your smartphone indeed makes it easier to do this, compared to years ago when you would need first a huge scanner at home or in the office to be able to scan anything. This comes very handy especially if you are outside and you need to capture a document immediately.
Here are a few things that are commonly scanned by a smartphone:
- 1Instead of having to bring albums and albums of business cards, most people just scan a business card through their phones and then save the photo in their image gallery for reference later on. Some people would convert it to a PDF file so that it won't consume too much space and then name it according to company or contact person so it's easier to find later on. For better classification, you can also save it in your Dropbox and then divide it into folders. You can do a search and access it later on, especially if you have continuous internet connection.Business cards.