Root and Unroot an LG G2
Edited by Daniel, Eng, Dougie, Dougie-1 and 8 others
Life's Good or LG is a well known manufacturer of hardware stuff that has reliability to last long. Smartphones are in trend since it was introduced in the market and LG is on the track as well t compete with other big manufacturers of Smart phones like Sony, Samsung, iPhone and any other. The LG G2 was released last August 2013. The phone manufacturer offer a high quality phones that comes less expensive compare to other phone manufacturer.
If you have an LG G2 phone and wants to play with it, you can follow these steps on how you can root and unroot the phone. The steps from this article are very easy to follow or hassle free. Before you proceed please read the "Warning". To read more topics about Smartphones, computers, Antivirus and so on. Please go to this Category:Tech
- 1 Warning
- 2 Things To Know
- 3 Steps For Rooting An LG G2
- 4 Install Custom Recovery ROMs
- 5 Unroot A Rooted LG G2
- 6 Important
- 7 Procedure To Unroot The LG G2
- 8 Questions and Answers
- 8.1 What if I don't see the file "UpTestExe.exe"?
- 8.2 My problem is that I can not get the phone to work via USB. I have searched everywhere, downloaded the drivers. I have Windows 8.1. I went through the Developers Option and selected USB Debug but the place to select USB is greyed out and I can not select it?
- 9 Comments
Rooting and Unrooting the phone may get wrong as well. Meaning, it can damage your phone, Data loss and corrupted as well. Rooting the phone will void the warranty of your mobile phone from the manufacturer nor from the store where you purchase it from, Proceed at your own risk.
VisiHow nor I, will not held responsibility for any data loss or damage during and after the process that you will going to follow to root or unroot your mobile phone. Again, do it at your own risk
Things To Know
- 1Make sure that the battery level on your phone is at least 75%
- 2Supported Phones that will work for the rooting process
- AT&T G2 (D800) - D80010d
- Verizon G2 (VS980) - VS98010B (Shipping ROM)
- Verizon G2 (VS980) - VS98011A (OTA)
- T-Mobile G2 (Shipping ROM)
- KT F320k (Shipping ROM)
- Rogers D803 (Shipping ROM)
- Bell D803 (Shipping ROM)
- Telus D803 (Shipping ROM)
- OPEN D802 (Shipping ROM)
- 3Back up your phone to your computer in case for data loss and corruption of files.
- 4You can download it from HEREMake sure that the Drivers has been installed in your computer.
- 6If you are not sure if it was enabled, go to your phone's Settings then look for the General and then tap the "About Phone" then look for the software information and the "Build Number". You need to tap the Build number at least 7 times and in the 5 time will have a message that you are about to be done. Go back to the previous options then look for the "Developer Option" and enable the USB debugging.Ensure that the USB debugging is enable on your mobile phone.
Steps For Rooting An LG G2
- 1Once you have done all the pre-requisites of rooting the phone, get your USB cord and connect it on your phone then the other end to the computer.
Install Custom Recovery ROMs
Since that you have rooted the phone already, why not install a custom recovery image for your mobile phone to make it look better and enhance its performance and capability. Remember that once the phone has been rooted, you will have the authority to change the functions and exceed its limitation. Here are the steps:
- 1You can go to XDA, you can download what you need if you do not prefer the TWRP.I suggest that you download and install the TWRP as its intuitive touch system user Interface.
- 2Make sure that the USB debugging is still enabled and connect your phone to the PC via USB cord. Make sure that you see a message on computer that says about RSA Fingerprint before you continue. If you are not getting this message, just unplug and replug the phone then click on OK.Once you have downloaded the file that you want to install, just unzip it.
- 3Create a new folder and placed the extracted folder there and look for a file that has a name of "flash-recovery.bat" and run the file then wait till it is done doing its thing.
- 4To access the new recovery, you need to turn off the phone and press the volume down then power button and wait for the LG logo to show up on screen and let go to access the menu and enjoy the new custom recovery you have installed.After the process, tap any part of the devices buttons or screen and it will now reboot to the new recovery image on phone.
Unroot A Rooted LG G2
If you do not want to use a rooted phone and wants to keep receive official updates coming from LG for more support and new features. These steps will help you on how you can simply unroot the phone back to it's original state like when you first get hold of the phone. Again, VisiHow and I will not held any responsibility for data loss or damage on your mobile phone. Do it at your own risk.
- 1It is best also to let the phone stay connected to the chargerMake sure the phone battery is at 75% or even 50%.
- 2Back up all data like SMS, Videos, Pictures, documents, Contacts and any other important files that you have in the phone.
- 3Other versions of the phone like from AT&T or Verizon will not work for this process to unroot.The process will only work to an international version of the phone and T-Mobile.
- 4You can re download it from this LINKDrivers of the phone must be installed on your computer.
- 5This is not a small sized file as it is a 1.6 GB or 1,600 MBDownload the correct stock firmware for your LG G2 stock ROM from this LINK.
Procedure To Unroot The LG G2
- 1Get you LG G2 phone and turn it off for a couple of seconds then connect the phone to the computer via USB.
- 2You need to run the file as an administrator, although you are logged in to the computer as administrator, still you need to do it. Right click then click run as administrator.Open the Flash tool folder and then run the file "LGFlashTool2014.exe".
- 3You will see there an R&D test tool screen and select type the "3GQCT" then the Phone mode on "DIAG"
- 4Click the KDZ File and select the folder that you have downloaded earlier for the stock ROM then click the "Normal web upgrade test".
- 5Now, click on Upgrade Start and choose "Republic of Korea and English". Once it is done on doing it's thing, just turn off the phone and wait at least 10 seconds.After you click the Normal web upgrade test.
- 6Now, you need to press and hold the Volume Up and the Power button till you see an LG logo and let go then press them both back immediately and select on Factory Reset and it will delete all rooted files on phone and it will restart the unit and wait till it is ready.
After following the steps, your LG G2 phone is not back to its original firmware like when you first got the phone then restore all your files after.
Questions and Answers
What if I don't see the file "UpTestExe.exe"?
When I open the "Flash Tool" folder, I am not seeing the file mentioned above at all. What do I do? And secondly, do I extract all of the files of the Flash Tool folder?
We apologize for the mistake. We have corrected the file name to "LGFlashTool2014.exe". First, you have to unpack all of the files into a separate folder (extract all of the files). Instead of running the nonexistent UpTestExe.exe, open "LGFlashTool2014.exe" by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator". This will do the job.
My problem is that I can not get the phone to work via USB. I have searched everywhere, downloaded the drivers. I have Windows 8.1. I went through the Developers Option and selected USB Debug but the place to select USB is greyed out and I can not select it?
I followed a YouTube and still no clue...
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.