Retrieve navigation icon that has been removed from Samsung Galaxy S3
Edited by Ronniel Javier, Charmed, Leomar Umpad, Lynn and 9 others
Are wondering why your Navigation icon has disappeared after the recent Google Maps updates? A lot of people who use Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 and Galaxy Note are experiencing the same problem, and most of them can't seem to find a solution on their own. Many people said it was the worst update ever. The good news - the icon didn't actually disappear at all, and you can restore it to its previous place on your Home screen by following these simple steps below.
- 1 Instructions
- 2 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 3.1 The blue Navigation icon did not return?
- 3.2 Maps is not listed?
- 3.3 After installation of upgrade for Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3, there is no "uninstall updates" option?
- 3.4 TouchWiz Launcher removal - how can I remove the prompt to use touch wiz from Note3?
- 3.5 Where can I find navigation app on Galaxy S3?
- 3.6 I can't get "Blue Navigation" in my GS3 which was upgraded to Jellybean 4.3.
- 3.7 I have the S3 and when I get to this step there is no uninstall tab?
- 3.8 I followed the steps and completed them until 'Force Stop'. What next?
- 3.9 Actually, I just bought a Galaxy S4 today, and the navigation button isn't there?
- 3.10 Where to find uninstall updates? I cannot find it
- 3.11 I cannot tap on force to stop. It's somewhat stuck
- 3.12 I have followed steps 1 to 8, however the blue icon does not show on the home screen. Please advise
- 3.13 After "Force Stop" and "Uninstall Updates", I still I can't find the Navigation icon
- 3.14 It did not work. It will not remove maps even though I precisely followed instructions. :-(
- 3.15 I did all steps as instructed, but the navigation icon still has not appeared.
- 3.16 There is no uninstall button.
- 4 Comments
Bringing back the Blue Navigation Icon.
- 1Go to your Applications list and tap on the "Settings" icon.Advertisement
- 2From Settings, tap on the "More" Tab.Advertisement
- 3From More, tap on the "Application Manager" option.
- 4On the Application manager, swipe to the left until you get to the "ALL" tab.
- 5Tap on Maps to show the application info of Maps.On the ALL tab, scroll down to locate "Maps".
- 6Once you are in your Application info, swipe down and find the "Clear Cache" button; tap it.
- 7Now swipe up and tap the "Force Stop" button.
- 8(Note: This will restore your previous Google Maps application data, settings or factory version and interface, including your missing blue navigation icon.Tap "Uninstall Updates".
- 9Tap the blue Navigation icon and accept the Terms and conditions. Congratulations! You have just brought back your Navigation app icon.Now go back to your Home screen and look for it.
With the latest upgrade to 4.3, some users are having problems uninstalling updates, as this feature has been removed. Luckily, we still have another way to bring back the old navigation icon. Follow the procedures below to get that old icon/app back.
The update on the Maps application caused the disappearance of the Navigation icon. Navigation has been incorporated into the Maps app, so you can still use it while in Maps. Google thought it would be better to have one single app than to have two separate, complementing applications. If you are one of the people who embrace change, then you may follow these procedures to use Navigation on Maps:
- 1Tap on your Home button (lower-center hard key on your phone) to get to the Home screen.
- 2From your Home screen, tap on the "Apps" icon located in the lower-right part of your phone's screen.
- 3From the Apps list, tap on "Maps" to open it.
- 4Select the destination place that you want to navigate.
- 5Tap on the "Car" icon to start navigating via car.
- 6If you want to get directions, tap on the card icon.
- 7Tap on the blue arrow if you want to hear audio directions.
If you would prefer to use the old application, follow these steps:
Since you cannot uninstall updates anymore, you need to uninstall the current version of Maps. To uninstall it:
- 1Tap on your Home button (lower-center hard key on your phone) to get to the Home screen.
- 2From your Home screen, tap on the "Apps" icon located on the lower right part of your phone's screen.
- 3From the Apps list, locate the "Settings" app and tap on it to open.
- 4On Settings, tap on the "More" tab.
- 5On More tab, tap on "Application Manager".
- 6The All tab shows the list of all applications installed and pre-installed on your device.On the Application Manager page, scroll your way to the right until you're on the "All" tab.
- 7From All tab, scroll your way down and look for "Maps".
- 8Tap on Maps and choose "Uninstall".
- 9Confirm the action and Maps will now be uninstalled.
Download An Older Version Of Maps
Once Maps has been uninstalled, install an older version of Maps so the old navigation icon will appear as well. To install old Maps:
- 1From your Home screen, tap on the "Apps" icon located on the lower-right part of your phone's screen.
- 2From the Apps list, locate and open any "Mobile Browser".
- 4Once the download is complete, pull-down the Notification bar and tap on the notification that download has been completed.
- 5The downloaded old Maps will now be installed, wait for the installation to be complete.
- 6You will now see the old navigation icon back.Once complete, restart your device.
Disable Auto-Updates Of Applications
To be sure that the same problem doesn't happen again, make sure that you disable Auto-Update Of Applications on your device. To disable auto-update, follow the procedures below:
- 1From your Home screen, tap on the Apps icon located on the lower right part of your phone's screen.
- 2Tap on the Menu key and tap on the Auto-update option.From the Apps list, locate and open Play Store.
- 3Tap on Do Not Auto-Update Apps option.
- 4Disabling Auto-updates of application is done.
If you want to know more about controlling the auto-updates feature on your device, you can visit the Control Auto-Updates on Android Phone
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- The new Navigation app icon shown seems larger than your previous interface because it's a part of their updates.
- Don't update your Google maps because there is a chance that your blue Navigation app icon might disappear again.
- If you have any problems regarding any of these steps, please leave a comment below.
Questions and Answers
If you cannot find the Navigation icon on your Home screen, go to your application list. To go to your application list, tap on the "Applications" icon on the lower-right part of your Home screen. You should be able to see the Navigation icon on the list. If you still cannot find it, restart your device to see if the application is now on your device. If it still doesn't show up, try to do the steps again; this time make sure that you follow every step. Only perform a Hard Reset Samsung Galaxy S3 when you still cannot get the results that you want. Remember to backup you data before doing the reset.
Since the Jellybean 4.3 update, the blue navigation icon/app has been integrated into Google maps. You'll need to open Google maps to access the navigation feature again. Enter an address or search for the venue you're looking for and then tap on the blue car icon located on the bottom right corner of your screen. You'll then see the familiar blue navigation icon on the next screen to Start Navigation.
Maps is not listed?
If you cannot find "Maps", you may be on the wrong tab. Make sure that you are on the "All" tab so you will be able to see all the applications installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3. On the All tab, scroll your way down until you see "Maps".
Google Maps will be located in your application window on your device. Simply press on the app menu launcher located in the middle of your device so you can see your Maps icon.
If you cannot see your Maps icon, you need to visit the Google Play store, do a search for Google Maps, and download the application to your device again.
After installation of upgrade for Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3, there is no "uninstall updates" option?
Android 4.3 has removed the remove updates option, so you won't be able to rollover / uninstall updates. The only option left is to forcefully remove the update by uninstalling the Maps application. Once Maps is uninstalled, download the older version of Maps like Google Maps 6.1.1. Install the application to your device and restart your Samsung Galaxy S3. Upon rebooting, the navigation icon should now be available. Make sure NOT to update your Maps, otherwise the Navigation icon will be lost. You can disable automatic updates on Play Store. A new section has been created above to give detailed instructions how to do this. You may click Retrieve navigation icon that has been removed from Samsung Galaxy S3 to go directly to the said section.
After the 4.3 Android update, the blue navigation icon/app will no longer be available as a standalone app, because it's been integrated into the new version of Google maps. You can now simply open the Google maps app, type in an address and use the blue navigation feature like you did before the update.
After you've typed in an address, hit the blue car symbol on the bottom right corner. On the next screen, you will see the blue navigation symbol and you can tap on it to start your turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation. See screenshots here:
TouchWiz Launcher removal - how can I remove the prompt to use touch wiz from Note3?
How can I remove the prompt to use touch wiz from Note3?
Touch Wiz is a built in application that you won't be available to remove from your device. Even if you were to find a way to remove this application, it will re-download itself onto your device.
When the prompt pops up on your device simply tap on the box that says never ask again and select the button to not use touch wiz on your device.
You can visit the Google Play store in order to search for a navigation application that can be downloaded from the app store. WAZE is a popular navigation application that can be downloaded from the application store.
If you recently updated to Jellybean 4.3 on your S3, the blue navigation icon/app can now be found inside the Google maps app. Open Google maps and type in an address. Next, tap on the blue car symbol on the bottom right corner to access the info. On the next screen, you should now see the blue navigation icon, which you can use as you have before. See screenshots here:
My GS3 has been upgraded to 4.3 (Jellybean) version and I don't have GPS Navigation(Blue icon).
If you are on the Verizon network, the blue navigation app no longer exists. After the 4.3 Jellybean update, the navigation feature has been integrated into Google maps. Open your Maps app and search for an address. When the location comes up, hit the blue car symbol, and on the next page, hit the familiar blue navigation symbol to start. Check out screenshots below:
That's because the blue navigation/GPS feature has been integrated into Google maps. You will now have to open Google maps to access the navigation features. It still has the turn-by-turn voice directions. Open maps and enter an address. Hit the blue car symbol on the bottom right of the screen and on the next screen, you will see the blue navigation icon. See here:
I have the S3 and when I get to this step there is no uninstall tab?
In the step: "Tap "Uninstall updates". (Note: This will restore your previous Google Maps application data, settings or factory version and interface, including your missing blue navigation icon." I have the S3 and when I get to this step there is no uninstall tab.
Uninstalling the update on Google maps will not get the blue navigation icon/app back if you've already updated to Jellybean 4.3. The only way to get that back is to use Google maps itself, since the navigation has been integrated into the app.
Open your Google maps and type in an address. Hit the blue car symbol on the bottom right corner and then on the next screen, you should see the blue navigation icon that will give you the same turn-by-turn voice navigation it did before.
I followed the steps and completed them until 'Force Stop'. What next?
Where do I find the 'Uninstall Updates' tab?
The "Uninstall Updates" button is located next to "Force Stop" button. If the "Uninstall Updates" button isn't there, then there must be an "Uninstall" button next to your "Force Stop" button. Please tap "Uninstall" to bring back your Navigation icon.
The "Uninstall Updates" button is located next to the "Force stop" button. If "Uninstall" button is present instead of "Uninstall updates" button, please tap on "Uninstall" button to retrieve your navigation icon.
I uninstalled the map update, like I read, but I still don't have the navigation button
Did you update the phone's firmware to 4.3 Jellybean? If you did, or if the phone already came with that firmware installed, the blue navigation icon/app will no longer be available on its own, but rather integrated into Google maps.
Open the Google maps app and type in an address and hit the blue car icon on the bottom right corner. On the next screen, you will see the blue "Start Navigation" option that will take you to the turn-by-turn voice navigation you're accustomed to from the past. See screenshots here:
Where to find uninstall updates? I cannot find it
You can find the Uninstall updates on your phone by going to your phone Settings. Look for the application manager. Once you found the application manager, you need to swipe 2 times going to the right side and all will be in place as it is in alphabetical order.
Once you have found the application, just tap the application to launch, and you should be able to see the Uninstall Updates on the menu where you can uninstall those updates only.
This will revert the application to the default values, until the Google Play store detects any updates. Your phone will prompt you to install those.
If you don't want to install the update, and would rather use the older version, don't touch the update or install.
I cannot tap on force to stop. It's somewhat stuck
If you access a feature on your phone and you cannot tap to initialize it. You can simply power cycle the phone. Normally, if there are too many applications installed, or too many running at the same time it will let the phone get slowed and unresponsive in some way.
To deal with this kind of problem, just turn off the phone and turn it back on and it should resolve the problem. You can also try to calibrate the phone touch sensitivity as it may be the issue.
I have followed steps 1 to 8, however the blue icon does not show on the home screen. Please advise
After you've completed the steps from 1 to 8, the Navigation icon will not appear on your home screen, which you can only find it in the list of Apps or from your Apps drawer on the phone. Go to your list of applications and look at every page you can find the navigation icon. You can only find the navigation icon on the home screen. Drag it to the home screen for a convenient shortcut. To repeat, you will find it in the Apps drawer.
Double-check the Apps drawer on your phone, as the blue navigation icon can be found there. If you still cannot find the navigation icon, you can turn off your phone> To allow the system time to reset and refresh, wait 5 full seconds before turning it back on. Check the apps drawer again and you should see the Navigation icon for you phone. Then you can install updates. If you still cannot find the Navigator on your mobile phone, you can simply download an application called: MapFactor: GPS Navigation. This application works the same as the navigation from the pre-installed on your phone.
This app can perform Voice-Guidance with 2D and 3D visuals, Search (pin-pointing a specific place), Speed Cameras, Add Favorites and so on. This is a free app from the Play Store that you can check out and test. There are few open-street map data from this application, unlike the Google navigation. If you want to find out more about it, you can go to this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator
It did not work. It will not remove maps even though I precisely followed instructions. :-(
Normally, clearing the Data and Cache for a certain application will remove its contents, like the favorites, location and maps that you saved. Another way to clear it is by doing a factory reset on your phone. This returns all the settings back to the original factory settings. Doing factory settings will erase all data on the phone but not on the SD card. If you want to do it to reset, you need to back up the necessary data on a computer, then reset and restore those files after the reset -to get them back.
If the Blue Navigation icon did not appear on your phone screen after following the steps, you may need to restart the phone. Just tap and hold the power button and select on turn off or shut down. You can also take the battery out of the phone to shut it off. In case you still encounter the same problem - the navigation icon does not appear on your phone, then you need to perform a reset. But you need to make a backup of all your phone data to your computer. First you do the reset, and afterward you perform a restoration of all the files you've backed up on your computer. After performing this, you should be able to see the navigation icon on your phone's list of applications.
Please double check. Uninstall updates can be found where you manage all of your applications in the "Settings". It is a standard option on your phone's settings to remove updates. If you cannot find "Uninstall Updates"" on your manage applications, reset the phone to factory settings by doing a "Factory Reset". However, all of your data will be deleted on the phone, so before you do a "Factory Reset", backup all your files and data.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: Nuance, Doug Collins, Dougie