Reset and Disable Face Unlock on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Lynn, Mohsin and 13 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
- 2 Disabling Face Unlock on Samsung Galaxy S4
- 3 Setting Up a New Face Unlock
- 4 How to Unlock Samsung Galaxy S4 if You Have Forgotten Your PIN
- 5 How to Change Face Password
- 6 How to Make Cool Faces on a Galaxy S4
- 7 Cancel Pin Lock on a Galaxy S4
- 8 Questions and Answers
- 8.1 Broken S4, need help accessing the photos?
- 8.2 My face unlock failed too many times and I do not know the backup pattern or my email address?
- 8.3 I cannot remember the PIN that I entered during setup of Face Unlock. What will I do now?
- 8.4 Can't remember pattern for Samsung Galaxy S3 mini now I am locked out will not accept Google password to open my phone, Don't want to loose my new grandsons pictures and videos help please a granny in distress?
- 8.5 How can I reset it without pin?
- 8.6 I had lost my pattern so I could not change my face detector what should I do?
- 8.7 Swipe / Face unlock / Face and voice and none option I can't enable in my S4 please advise thanks?
- 8.8 Samsung S4 and Samsung Tab 10.5?
- 9 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
One of Samsung Galaxy S4's coolest features is the Face Unlock. Once activated, your phone will scan your face, and when it's been matched with the face on file, your phone will unlock itself automatically. However, this may not function properly, as different lighting may alter your face, making recognition difficult. Should you feel the need to change the face unlock with a new face, for whatever reason, you can simply disable face unlock. Once disabled, your phone will delete the stored face. You can then setup a new face unlock.
Disabling Face Unlock on Samsung Galaxy S4
If you want to reset your Face Unlock, you can disable it and make a new one. To disable, follow the steps below:
- 8Your Screen Lock has been successfully disabled!Congratulations!
* Take note: all other locks will be disabled too, namely the Swipe lock, Face and Voice Lock, Pattern Lock, PIN Lock, and Password Lock.
Setting Up a New Face Unlock
When you have disabled your Face Unlock, setting up a new Face unlock will allow you to create a new Face Unlock on your Samsung Galaxy S4. A VisiHow article has already been made on how to Setup Face Unlock on Samsung Galaxy S4. For completion and uniformity purposes, this VisiHow will explain it again:
How to Unlock Samsung Galaxy S4 if You Have Forgotten Your PIN
In many cases, Samsung Galaxy S4 does not give you the option of entering your Gmail account ID and password to bypass the lock screen. If you have forgotten the PIN, try it several times until it gives you the option to select "Forgotten Password." To prevent this from happening, you can send the PIN to your Google account in an email when you first set the PIN, so even if you can't remember it, you will have the information in an email messages.
If you are using the pattern, try it around five times, and if you still haven't done it right, you will be given the "Forgotten Pattern" option. Tap it and enter your Google ID and password to bypass the lock screen. If, for whatever reason, the option of "Forgotten Pattern" never comes up, try these steps:
- 1Turn off the phone, and take out the battery.
- 2Wait for 10 seconds, then re-insert the battery.
- 3Press the power, home, and volume up buttons simultaneously.Now go into the recovery mode.
- 4Release the home and volume up buttons, but keep pressing the power button, until you see some text on the screen.
- 5Scroll down to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset," using the volume buttons, and select it using the power button.
- 6Confirm the process on next screen.
- 7This will only erase the application memory.Wait for it to erase the data, and don't worry, all the media is safe.
- 8Once done, go back and select "Reboot Device Now".
- 9Wait for the reboot to complete, and all the factory settings will be restored, along with your pattern.
- 10Using this method will not only erase the pattern unlock, but it will also delete all the installed applications.WARNING:
How to Change Face Password
- 1Go to Home Screen.
- 2Go to Settings, then scroll down until you reach Personal.
- 3Tap Lock Screen.
- 4Tap Screen Lock.
- 5Type in the current password.
- 6Above the keyboard, tap Next.
- 7On the menu, tap "Password".
- 8It will prompt you to type it in again for confirmation.Type in your new 4-character password.
- 9Type OK, and you will now have a new password.
- 10Press the power button and turn off and back on.
- 11Type in your new password, and you should be set.
How to Make Cool Faces on a Galaxy S4
You can make some cool faces with new camera features of the Galaxy S4. For example:
- 1It simply uses the front and rear-facing camera at the same time. You can use the Dual Shot in Video Chat for showing something while you are able to see it also on your Galaxy.Dual Shot Mode - One cool face feature of the Galaxy S4 is the Dual Shot Mode that allows you to paste yourself into any photo or video.
- 2With Eraser Mode, you can take a short video of someone in a busy setting. You are able to remove any unwanted objects or people from the recorded video.Eraser Mode - This is a cool face mode, too.
- 3Animated Mode - Incredibly, with this mode, you have the option to select anything in the short video that is moving, and keep it still while all that is not selected is moving.
- 4Drama Shot Mode - With the Drama Shot you can have a subject in a photo actually shown a number of times in the different positions as he is moving.
- 5Sound and Shot Mode - When you take a photo with your shutter button, hit the Sound and Shot button, and you can record music or narration with the photo.
Cancel Pin Lock on a Galaxy S4
For security measures, it's usually best to have screen lock on your smart phone.
Enable/Disable your Samsung Galaxy S4 Screen Lock
- 1From your home screen tap "Menu Key".
- 2Tap "Settings".
- 3Go to "My Device" tab.
- 4Tap "Lock Screen".
- 5Tap "Screen Lock".
Enable Pin Lock
- 1Select your desired pin lock method.
- 2Enter a pin or password.
- 3Tap "OK".
- 4Enter your pin again to confirm.
- 5Tap "OK".
Disable Pin Lock
- 1Enter your pin or password.
- 2Tap "OK"
- 3Tap "None"
Questions and Answers
Broken S4, need help accessing the photos?
I went on a trip today and when I came back my S4 was broken, I also have a pattern lock on it... How can I get my files back
How is the phone broken? If it's still functional, you might have a chance to retrieve your photos. Download and install Samsung's Kies sync software on your computer. You can find the download here:
Connect the phone to your computer and hopefully you can retrieve your photos with the phone on the pattern lock screen.
If that doesn't work, you can attempt to guess the pattern until the phone prompts you to enter your Google account info. At this point, you can get back into the phone with the Gmail info you used to set up the S4. In case you've forgotten that info also, you can go through a recovery process here:
My face unlock failed too many times and I do not know the backup pattern or my email address?
Galaxy S4 won't unlock please help
If you cannot remember your email information, and you are not connected via WiFi or data connection, you will have to do a Hard Reset on your S4 to be able to use it again. Do the following to do the Hard Reset:
- Turn off your phone.
- Press the following:
- volume up
- When phone vibrates, release power button.
- When you see the Android logo, release all buttons.
- Choose wipe data/Factory Reset (volume down to scroll, power to select).
- Choose yes--delete all user data.
- Choose reboot system now.
You can also watch this how-to video:
I cannot remember the PIN that I entered during setup of Face Unlock. What will I do now?
If you are unable to remember your PIN, the best thing to do is unlock your phone using the face registered during the Face unlock set up. If the phone does not recognize it, try to unlock it at the same location and time as when you set it up, as artificial lighting and ambient light conditions affect the way your phone interprets the face.
If the phone fails to recognize the face, the only option left is to perform a Clean Data from Samsung Galaxy S4 by Reset. The reason why Hard Reset is the only option is because Samsung locks your phone for your own protection. Performing a Hard Reset will erase all the data on your phone. This means that any application data, progress and phone cache will be deleted. To Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy S4 you can follow these:
- Turn On and Off the Samsung Galaxy S4 by pressing and holding on the power button until the phone vibrates indicating that it has been completely turned off.
- With your device turned off, simultaneously press the Power Button + Home Button + Volume Down key for 3 seconds or until an Android icon appear. Release all three buttons once the Android icon shows up.
- Using the Volume keys, navigate to the option: Wipe Data / Factory Reset and press Power button to confirm.
- Using the Volume keys, navigate to the option: "Yes -- delete all user data" and press Power button to confirm.
- Galaxy S4 will now reboot and will restart. Your phone is now reverted back to factory settings.
Can't remember pattern for Samsung Galaxy S3 mini now I am locked out will not accept Google password to open my phone, Don't want to loose my new grandsons pictures and videos help please a granny in distress?
How do I get in my phone Google not accept my password changed on computer to no avail
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer. "YES -- DELETE ALL USER DATA"--> Go ...
PL Check End -->
How can I reset it without pin?
I forgot the pin and it has given me a lot of problems-.
In order to be able to Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S4, use the steps listed below, as you no longer remember the PIN to your device.
Simply follow these steps and video in order to Hard Reset your device:
-Power off your device.
-Hold the Volume up + Home button + Power button.
-Release these buttons when you reach the boot menu.
-On the boot menu, use the volume keys to highlight factory data wipe.
-Press the power button to make the selection.
-Select OK with the power button in order to begin the reset.
-After the reset is complete use the volume keys to highlight the reboot device option.
-Press the power button to begin the reboot device option.
Now your device will reset itself with the Factory Reset settings. All of your data will have been erased from the device.
Below is a video you can watch in order to see the option performed:
I had lost my pattern so I could not change my face detector what should I do?
I also having problems to use face detector in darkness./..... its my marriage gift so its very important for me please give ma advice LOL
If you forgot your pattern, you can always gain access to your Samsung Galaxy S4 with the use of a backup PIN. You have six available options for screen locks on your device that includes Password, PIN, Face and Voice, Pattern, and Face Unlock. You can activate every single one to ensure multiple layers of protection and security on your phone.
You will really have problems using the Face Detector in the dark because it needs an indoor spot to work, which should be neither too dim nor bright.
To change the screen lock settings:
- Go to "Menu".
- Click on "Settings".
- Select "My Device".
- Tap on "Lock Screen" and "Screen Lock".
- Key in the needed security unlock information.
- Click "Continue".
- Choose the security lock feature you would want to customize or change, and then follow the steps for that screen lock feature.
Swipe / Face unlock / Face and voice and none option I can't enable in my S4 please advise thanks?
In my S4 I can't enable this option.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Samsung S4 and Samsung Tab 10.5?
The lock screen don't recognize the patterns that I've set, my Gmail isn't letting me log in, and I keep getting a DNS problem
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.