Repurpose an Old Suitcase Into a Medicine Cabinet
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Robbi, Lynn, Monika and 8 others
Suitcases come in all shapes and sizes and are usually replaced every few years. If you travel often, you may have several extra suitcases in your home.With a little bit of work this article will explain how you can turn one of your old suitcases into something great. Why not convert it to a medicine cabinet? Aside from being unique, you can also save some money.
What you need:
- 1Old suitcaseAdvertisement
- 2A piece of wood (Poplar)Advertisement
- 3Paint or polisher
- 4Paint brush
- 5Nails or Screws
- 6Hammer or Drill
- 8Cloth or towel
- 10Sand paper
- 11Steel tape measure
- 1Gather all the things needed to make a medicine cabinet out of a suitcase.Advertisement
- 4Measure the width and then the height of the suitcase laying down.
- 7Choose the place where you will permanently attach the old suitcase.
- 8Using a pencil, mark the place where you want to attach the old suitcase.
- 9Measure and check your marks to make sure that it will not be put permanently in an inappropriate(slanting) position.
- 10Move 5-10 feet away from the place where you will attach the suitcase to measure the accuracy.
- 11Get the suitcase.
- 12Clean the suitcase with the cloth or towel before placing it on the designated place.
- 13Position the suitcase on the marks where you want to attach it.
- 15After attaching it permanently, wipe the suitcase with the cloth again to clean the dirt caused by placing it in a fixed manner.
- 16Get the paint or polisher, as well as the paint brush.
- 17Start applying paint or polisher on the suitcase.
- 18Wait until the paint or polisher is dry.
- 19You now have your medicine cabinet made from your old suitcase.
- You can also decorate your suitcase medicine cabinet.
- You can attach a mirror in front of the cover of the suitcase.
- Aside from a medicine cabinet, you may also transform an old suitcase to a display cabinet, book shelves, and a lot more. You just need a creative mind to establish different useful crafts.
- You can use any kind of working wood, though poplar is less expensive and is much easier to work with because it is fairly soft.
Questions and Answers
Where is the best place to find old suitcases?
How can I stack them to access all without having to unstack
Many second hand shops have luggage sections and usually, there is, at least, one or two old suitcases. Some antique shops are also now carrying them and Ebay is always an online resource you can use if you are not finding an old suitcase locally.
Is it possible to turn an antique suitcase into a vaping cabinet?
I need a steampunk style looking cabinet to store my vaping equipment.. I have tried: I store my things in an antique chest.. I think it was caused by: I just think it would be a neat idea to create a vaping cabinet from an antique suitcase.
That would be a neat idea! You could attach small leather belts to secure the vape containers to the top of the underside of the suitcase and use a crate section or wine bottle rack for the bottom half of the suitcase to hold smaller bottles as well.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: Maria Quinney, Donna, Dougie